British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

New Cross Speedway Night

Really gutted i couldn't get out of family commitments to attend, but glad it went well Norman.

I finally made it to the stadium site on Monday before the snow hit London, though it was freezing. The track is still vaguely visible from ground level and the old steps are stil there.

As i walked away singing 'Ilkley Moor by tat' to myself, something magical happened, the sound of bikes came from the track area. I rushed back down Hernshay St and watched two men on scramble bikes ride around the area, though they soon dissapeared over the horizon, but as i left again i once more heard the bike noise and stood there for a few minutes imagining it on race night.It got too cold so i headed home but it did add some autheticity to my attempts to picture it all as it was,sadly my battery was dead on my camera by then though i have one blurry shot of a bike in the distance.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=302819&id=684042497&l=38f86e110b

Might have passed you on the monday as i went down to the Millwall shop to get a few goodies and thought about looking over at the old stadium as we went up Ilderton road......but my dad wanted to shoot off to Burgess Park and take me to meet some of his mates down the pub :P

Might have passed you on the monday as i went down to the Millwall shop to get a few goodies and thought about looking over at the old stadium as we went up Ilderton road......but my dad wanted to shoot off to Burgess Park and take me to meet some of his mates down the pub :P

Small world!

Great times looking through my rose-tinted specs. :) Remember that first meeting against Hackney, last meeting against Poole in 63, and the almost unbeatable late great Squibbo. My favourite rider was Geoff Penniket. My mother-in-law's cousin was named Vic after Vic Duggan. I think Briggo rode for Southampton there against the Provincial League Select?

We still went dog racing there and occasional trips to Millwall's Den, although we preferred to watch the classier club of south-east london Charlton Athletic. ;)

Went to Wimbledon Hackney and West Am after the Frying pan closed.

Plan to visit over Christmas with a drive around south London for nostalgia's sake. :approve:

I think Briggo rode for Southampton there against the Provincial League Select?

No, Briggo wasn't in the Southampton team that night. Chum Taylor took his place.

It was the only time I ever saw Southampton as I had missed their visits in both 1960 and 1961, the only National League team I hadn't seen, so it was very fortuitous that they paid a visit to Provincial League New Cross in 1963. The Saints won 46-30 with Bjorn Knutson top scorer with 11 points. He was however beaten by Colin Pratt in heat five. Pratty also scored 11, losing out to Taylor in heat 12.

Glad to see Jim Squibb mentioned-he was already in his 40's when riding for NX (born 1921). I recall him as the captain of Exeter-still a top rider in the first year of the BL in 1965-also the guy behind the riders protest at the PLRC Final in 1963 I think. A great rider.

57 years ago I was rather more then a twinkle in Daddy's eye, more a "not another bloody mouth to feed". So thanks Norbold for putting the story straight, I know I was only a sprog but I do remember the Latter years at the Frying pan.!!