British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Johnny Fitzpatrick

Is Johnny still with us-Yarmouth etc altho I recall him best as a member of the first PL champs in 1960(Rayleigh).Have I got this right??

Only recently I was told that Johnnie (?) Fitzpatrick was still alive and living in Kilburn, north London. I remember him mainly at Stoke but also recall him having involvement with the Johnnie Hoskins promotion at New Cross in 1959 - if the old memory isn't playing tricks with me.

Johnnie Fitzpatrick rode for New Cross in 1961, averaging 4.46 in 13 meetings.

I believe he is still going strong and living in West Hendon.

Remember him from my very very early days at Foxhall heath. tall guy..always up for a decent race though. Had leathers with ribbed shoulder pads..funny what you recall.

Johnnie Fitzpatrick rode for New Cross in 1961, averaging 4.46 in 13 meetings.

I believe he is still going strong and living in West Hendon.

The old memory is playing me tricks - but I know I chose to chat with him, Al Holliday, Stan Clark and Maury McDermott in the New Cross pits in that era.

Johnny was out here in Queensland last year as a guest of Kev Torpie his old team mate at middlesboro

Johnny was out here in Queensland last year as a guest of Kev Torpie his old team mate at middlesboro

I remember him riding for Middlesboro at Old Meadowbank early 60's.Eric Boothroyd was in that team if my memory is still OK.

I remember him riding for Middlesboro at Old Meadowbank early 60's.Eric Boothroyd was in that team if my memory is still OK.

Eric Boothroyd was certainly in the team. So, I think, was a very young Eric Boocock. I think a third member of that Middlesborough team may have been Slant Payling.

Eric Boothroyd was certainly in the team. So, I think, was a very young Eric Boocock. I think a third member of that Middlesborough team may have been Slant Payling.

Brian Mckeown also rings a bell.Possibly Kev Torpie before he came to Monarchs.

Brian Mckeown also rings a bell.Possibly Kev Torpie before he came to Monarchs.

Speaking of which is Brian McKeown still around?

So was Dave Younghusband plus (I think) Clive Hitch and Alan Butterfield. At one time there was a switcharound involving Eric Boothroyd and Bluey Scott. I still remember one terrific meeting at Poole where, despite Poole having their usual comfortable win, messrs Boocock, Scott and Younghusband were involved in some great race racing with passing and close finishes throughout the meeting. Having Slant Payling there as well (a second string but nevertheless one of the all time spectacular riders) meant the crowd got far more than value for money that night. :)

Ah, the Provincial League. Never been matched for entertainment and characters. :)

Think he was an Australian,don't know if still around.

The New Zealand test team selectors will be surprised to hear that!

The New Zealand test team selectors will be surprised to hear that!

And what has all this to do with Johnnie Fitzpatrick?