British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue Colts Apply For National League

Official Press Release - Richard Frost

BELLE Vue are negotiating to run a Colts team in the National League next season

It would mean around an extra ten meetings at the Kirkmanshulme Lane greyhound stadium in the third flight of the British speedway pyramid which is designed to provide racing for up and coming riders.

Local whizzkid Jason Garrity, who has just signed a full contract with the Aces, will be a pivotal member of the team.

The club have signalled their interest to the National League management and will attend their annual meeting later this month while negotiations with their Greyhound Racing Association landlords to use the stadium are at an advanced stage.

The surprise move is fuelled partly by a frustration in being unable to help young British riders but the possibility of the club having their own stadium is also a major factor.

Chris Morton, the Aces’ Operations Director, said: “Nothing has been finalised because the National League haven’t had their annual meeting yet but we will be going with the intention of joining.

“We envisage a minimum of ten home meetings and these will be stand alone matches, either on a Monday if there isn’t a senior fixture, or on a Wednesday.

“This will only work if we get the right support from fans. That is the risk we would be taking. Running in the Elite League is very tough financially and a National League team would have to be capable of looking after itself. The fans have to want this if it is to succeed.”

Awesome news. Another track that is pretty local, and another track that will test the younger riders.

I certainly didn't see that one coming.

30 minutes door to door for me :D and as the racing can't possibly be worse than the EL at Kirky Lane I'll certainly be giving it a try on NL nights.

An away trip with the Fen Tigers (fingers crossed)on a week night that I don't have to take a day off for :approve::D

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Excellent news - let's hope the move comes off.

Really good news. More opportunities for younger Brits has to be the way forward. Let's hope that it comes off and that sufficient supporters attend to make it viable.

The Mangement are to be congratulted on their forward thinking which should be a benefit not only to the club but also the sport in general.

Brilliant news that they even are considering it I hope it all works out & it gets the support it deserves :approve:

This is great news - if it comes off, we will have Buxton, Belle Vue, Stoke and Scunthorpe all in the North! Lots of derbies, though I don't know how many riders there are too pool around the clubs. The NL could be the best league to watch next year. :approve:

Fantastic news I hope I am able to make the visit of the fen tigers!

I certainly didn't see that one coming.

30 minutes door to door for me :D and as the racing can't possibly be worse than the EL at Kirky Lane I'll certainly be giving it a try on NL nights.

An away trip with the Fen Tigers (fingers crossed)on a week night that I don't have to take a day off for :approve::D

Great news, any chance of borrowing some floor space mate if the Fen Tigers race there :D

Great news, any chance of borrowing some floor space mate if the Fen Tigers race there :D

Gods holy trousers :o

Nikko at an away match, and one outside East Anglia at that :D

Furthest I have seen you travel is Peterborough :D

Gods holy trousers :o

Nikko at an away match, and one outside East Anglia at that :D

Furthest I have seen you travel is Peterborough :D

Ha Ha you've forgot my two trips to Scunthorpe, one for the Fen Tigers the other for Adam :D

Now I live in Kent mate, home meetings are a 200 mile round trip but then you know all about that.

One of if not the best meeting last season featured NL riders, if the new stadium comes off as well hopefully the colts can increase the clubs asset base and if its half as productive as the old colts BV will be resurrected, heres hoping.

It's really exciting news I can think of two good riders who are local to Belle Vue and they know the track.. I Wonder!

Great to see the Colts returning to Speedway.

Wait for the new PC to come through the ranks. :D