British Speedway Forum
heathen79

Nl Agm Outcomes 25/1/11

What's the NDL?

1/. Looks like 10 teams - that's seventy spots plus in my reckoning. That's a lot of riders to find, eh?

2/. Already ancient history.

3/. Who's this "many said they shouldnt have been" - are they on the management of the NL or the relevant clubs, or just people flapping their gums on here?

4/. What happened to Buxton? They Won, didn't they, and Newport came second. What are you on about?

"examples like this could[and some will say should have]thrown the league into mayhem," - but they didn't, did they? More Gum Flapping.

Whatever happens let's hope a few more folks get their backsides Trackside otherwise there won't be any NL to support.

1 I fear it will be 8 teams,and possible even seven in the Hornet dont run[i hope it is 10 though]

[

2 ancient history yes,but it happened and made alot of folk look like fools

3 its a fact,read the rules and you wil see this and was discussed may times on here

4 did Morris and Jones finish the season with there clubs???not idea fro the promotion or the fans is it???

and they didnt throw the league into mayhem no,but if the rules were obeyed it would have,in either the PL or EL it would have so why should NL be any different!!!!

Now that the dust has settled after the news of the last few days, I just wondered what others opinions on the proposed “British Riders Only in the N.L” and the 40 points rule are.

I can only presume that the thinking behind the “British Riders Only” has been agreed on in the belief that British Speedway will in some way benefit, and that as a result, the G.B. squad will eventually be become more of a force to be reckoned with. The thinking behind this is all very honourable and patriotic, but to be honest, I think as an argument, it is totally flawed and wrong.

I remember only too well, that in 1974? all Swedish riders were banned from racing in this country for exactly the same reason. Did it prove to be successful? Not at all – no difference whatsoever was noticed in the quality of British riders, and it proved itself to be a total red herring. All it achieved was that it deprived the UK speedway fans of the opportunity of watching the best available riders week in, week out.

Furthermore, if the argument is that the N.L. should be a “training ground” for young British riders, why are riders who in their latter years of Speedway Racing allowed to compete in the N.L.? I am not for one minute suggesting they shouldn’t be allowed to, Im just questioning the argument. The league would be worse off if we were denied the likes of Jon Armstrong, Mark Burrows, Barrie Evans etc – in exactly the same way it will be worse off for banning the young foreign riders.

With regard to the 40 points limit, I reckon that it’s way too low. With only a few weeks left to go, there are several riders with really good averages who haven’t yet got a club to ride for in 2011. I am certain that this is down to the fact that if teams signed them, then the rest of their squad would be under strength. Is the 40 point rule another way of bringing in almost complete novices into the N.L.? If so, yet again, it’s all very commendable, but what about the riders who have done their apprenticeship and got to the top in the N.L. and are now struggling to find a team? I honestly reckon that there will be certain riders who are lost to the N.L. (who should be there) solely down to the 40 points limit and the ban on foreign riders.

Now I know that I support a team that is in the 3rd tier of British Speedway, but even though this is the case, I still want to watch the very best that is available at this level, and feel that we have been cheated out of that by the powers that be.

Just my opinions of course…

I can only presume that the thinking behind the “British Riders Only” has been agreed on in the belief that British Speedway will in some way benefit, and that as a result, the G.B. squad will eventually be become more of a force to be reckoned with. The thinking behind this is all very honourable and patriotic, but to be honest, I think as an argument, it is totally flawed and wrong.

I think that this has more to do with the United Kingdom Borders Agency. They brought in new rules in 2010 and will (I think) stop any Commonwealth rider coming over here without dual nationality unless they are at the top level of the sport. Nothing to do with the BSPA. At least there will be no more questioning of a rider's patriality...

My understanding is that it has everything to do with the BSPA, because it is them and them alone as the governing body who gives their approval to the U.K border Agency. Then it is up to the Border Agency to make their decision.

My understanding is that it has everything to do with the BSPA, because it is them and them alone as the governing body who gives their approval to the U.K border Agency. Then it is up to the Border Agency to make their decision.

No it's to do with the new ruling on sportmen in the top level of the sport. The relevant section in the UKBA rulings has been quoted on here several times before. If the BSPA broke the new laws they could damage a rider's career if they allowed him to ride IIRC.

A disconcerting rumour Downunder that there'll be no Commonwealth Riders in NL in 2011. If so it's a victory for the Little Englander/anti-Speedway Brigade and opens up more spots for superannuated Poms who can't cut it in PL I suppose.

What a load of tosh, predictably.

Good, the NL should be Brits only, for the good of our nation's future on the international stage, when the commonwealth riders are good enough they will come over and race PL straight off. Simple. All we need now is the points limit to be lowered to encourage teams to use two young British reserves and we will be on the way to starting our own conveyor belt of half decent talent.

Good, the NL should be Brits only, for the good of our nation's future on the international stage, when the commonwealth riders are good enough they will come over and race PL straight off. Simple. All we need now is the points limit to be lowered to encourage teams to use two young British reserves and we will be on the way to starting our own conveyor belt of half decent talent.

The best way to start a production line of British Talent is to follow the successful European and to a lesser extent Australian programs and start getting behind them from eight or nine years old. By the time the average young Overseas rider gets to the UK at age sixteen or seventeen he's had six or seven years of organised competition under his belt.

BNP...Kick out all these disgusting foreigners....Rool Pritania!! Xenophobia wins again......

Come on....young Brits will get better having the challenge of bettering themselves with competition etc....not by hiding away in seclusion....

Interesting topic, my take on it is that if true then it will benefit British riders.

Im not anti-aussie at all but like rocketben has already mentioned when they are good enough they will go directly into PL anyway, coming into the NL does not promote british riders getting better just gives them a look at the tracks and an easier route into the PL. Im also not buying the crowds will be affected by not having commonwealth riders in the NL, not like there is 1000's watching in the first place, I couldnt give a monkeys who Scunny field in so far as the team is competitive & the racing is good.

Anyway I do look forward to seeing the Aussie riders in the PL when they visit Scunthorpe & wish them all well in 2011.

BNP...Kick out all these disgusting foreigners....Rool Pritania!! Xenophobia wins again......

Second time that you have tarred everybody who doesn't share your opinion with the BNP brush. No less disgusting this time than it was the last.

People are allowed a reasonably expressed opinion, those like yourself who fail to see that are more bigotted than even the most staunch BNP member ever could be.

For what it's worth I too believe that the NL should be for British riders only. In my opinion the big difference between British riders and some of the other nationalities is just time on a Speedway bike. Of course a structured program would be good with competitive racing but nothing beats seat time.

Most of the lads from overseas that I talk to ride some sort of motorcycle daily and/or a Speedway bike two, three or more times a week. Most British lads would be lucky to get 10 practice days a year.

Therefore at NL standard you are not comparing like with like as the foreign lads have far more experience (in the main, not always)of riding round an oval. The British lads need every single second they can get on the bike as time is at a premium for them.

Easy to say build a training program in the UK. Far from easy to do in a country where it often seems motorcyclists are only one step above paedophiles in popularity.

If no Foreign riders are allowed to ride in the NL anymore, so be it.

It may open another door, to bring back international touring teams to ride against clubs or representative British/ English/Scottish/Welsh teams.

In addition to the annual visits of the American Dream Team and the Nordic Vikings, invite some other country's touring teams to the UK. International tests at Junior/National League level would add spice to the NL clubs' fixture list.

It is great that the Aussies want to organise an Australia v England U21 series down under next season.

The English should do the same over here and invite a team of up-and-coming young Colonials to these shores.

The 2009 Young Anzacs v Young Lions series was extremely entertaining but despite being well-publicised struggled to attract crowds, and the young Aussies and Kiwis were already riding over there. I attended the Kings Lynn round and there would have been about 250 hardy souls there max, who were fortunate to witness some top-class racing. Unless they're heavily sponsored I can't see them getting off the ground.

Theres no telling what rules will be in place this season with the current "thinking" of the NL Chairmen etc.

I expect:-

Average adjustments due to age - down if your young/up if your older (say over 25).

British riders only

I stand corrected on the reasons regarding foreign riders competing in the N.L., and thank Scribbler for pointing it out. I wasnt aware to what extent the role that the UK border agencies were playing in all this.

However, I am totally against their ban for any other reason, and still maintain that the thought that it somehow magically improve the quality of British riders is absolute nonsense. It was provrd years ago, that a ban on foreign riders does not work (I am referring to the ban of all Swedish riders in 1974). It made not one ioata of difference, and was consequently scrapped.

I am fully aware that we are talking about the 3rd tier of speedway here, but I for one dont want to see almost complete novices taking up team places at the expense of seeing more competitive teams. I would much rather the NL revert to the old 13 heat system, and have the second halves again featuring novices. I know that there are people who would see this as a regression, but I consider it to be a huge step forward from what is being proposed at present.