British Speedway Forum
westo97

Grand Prix Speedway 2011

MOST Speedway Riders never get a chance to ride in it. Ohh!!! I forgot - unless you are SELECTED of course. :angry:

How can you call yourself World Champion with MOST Speedway Riders excluded from the Competition. :angry:

I'm sorry, did MOST riders race in the World Final under the old format. I'm pretty sure that only 16 got to take part then, just the same as now.

There are still qualifying rounds which EVERY rider has the opportunity to take part in.

As for the original topic...

Assuming his arm is back to full strength, Jason on 5 looks to have some value. Gollob certainly doesn't on his current prices.

I'm also interested in Nicki at 12...He might have lost it completely, or he might just need the right people back around him and he seems to have got that for this year. Definitely too soon to be writing him off.

Hampel on 8 also does't sound like the worst bet in the World, but probably not the greatest value. Having said that, I don't think 2010 was a fluke and would expect him to continue to improve. I'm just not sure that he is hard enough if it came down to a fight for the title with Crump, Gollob or Pedersen.

KB being offered at 25 could also be worth considering. He is ever improving and has the attributes to make it to the very top, he just needs to find a bit more consistency when things are going against him in a GP.

Crumpy is fit and focussed - it'd take a brave man to bet against him.

I'd suggest that given the current fuss over silencers it would be a brave man to bet on anyone in the SGP at this stage.

The following article was posted on yahoogroups by PolskiZuzel

The top Grand Prix riders are threatening to withdraw from the competition, if the FIM will not permit to use the old silencers.

The world champion, Tomasz Gollob explains to www.sports.pl the reasons for the protest.

By signing the declaration for the Grand Prix in 2011 we all agreed on the new silencers. We were told then that the new product

reducing noise but ensuring also safe ride and proper functioning of other bike's parts will be soon available. - said Tomasz

Gollob. This product (silencer) was to be produced by a Danish company

But it is still not there. - says Krzysztof Cegielski, Polish riders Union's boss. Therefore, we are prepared a protest and

appropriate letter will be sent to the FIM authorities

At the moment I have assurances from all GP riders, except Jason Crump, that they will put their signature on a document. If the new

silencers are not here we have to return to the old one - says Cegielski.

Using new silencers does not make sense and is a denial of the sportsmanship. Therefore we need solidarity of all GP riders to

reverse a bad decision. - said Tomasz Gollob.

Andrzej Grodzki, Poland's representative in the CCP - said: if such document arrives we will then decide what to do. Right now, all

riders have already decided to use new silencers, They did it in writing. We also have four products that meet the requirements .

But the FIM chairman can always change his decision. Will he do it? The answer will be known by 5th February, when FIM officials

will meet at Geneva - said Grodzki.

It should be noted that despite what the article states, Greg Hancock has denied signing or confirming an intention to sign the letter as he has not received a translation of the letter.

Rico :rolleyes:

Grand??? Prix Speedway!! :rolleyes:

The WINNER is World Champion - what a JOKE!! :angry:

MOST Speedway Riders never get a chance to ride in it. Ohh!!! I forgot - unless you are SELECTED of course. :angry:

How can you call yourself World Champion with MOST Speedway Riders excluded from the Competition. :angry:

Seems plain bloody DAFT to me. :mad:

Just my opinion.

And a pretty strange opinion at that! The best riders are in the GP. The others can qualify by right through the GP Challenge. Some get a wild card spot based on their efforts in world speedway in the previous year, some admittedly because of their nationality.

However, they dont get there because they are rich, invited in because of the sponsors they can bring with them, or purely their commercial merchandising value, which are three big reasons to get yourself into Formula 1 or MotoGP.

It should be noted that despite what the article states, Greg Hancock has denied signing or confirming an intention to sign the letter as he has not received a translation of the letter.

Oh dear, a black sheep of the pack ............

I think Westo is pretty bang on in saying Crumpy is more hungry when challenging than defending. Last season though you had to admire the guy to do what he did with the injuries he carried. Crump is THE most consistent rider of the last 10 years or so with a GP record that the likes of Mauger and Briggs would be proud of. I think it will be his year in 2011.

Every year I predict Hancock will lose his hunger and fade away but every year he astounds me. Last year he looked to be fading but came back strong and I think another top 5 or 6 for Greg this year.

Gollob will be top 3 again I fancy but I don't see him winning another title now.

Hampel could be Crumps strongest challenger and I predict it will come down to these two in October.

Holder seemed to lose his spark after Cardiff and I was surprised to see him only scrape 8th after predicting he would improve with every GP but this year I see him comfortably qualifying around 5th.

Harris is probably the hardest to predict this year. If he can start the season on form I think he'll end up pushing the big guns but he could just as easily finish 12th.

Holta will be lower than last season, probably mid table.

I think Jonsson will realise how lucky he is to be in this series and I expect him to finish high, 4th or 5th.

Bjerre surprised me last season but I expected him to tail off and I see a quiet series for him with 2 or 3 finals.

Pedersen can only improve but I don't see him challenging the top boys so upper mid table for him.

1. Crump

2. Hampel

3. Gollob

4. Jonsson

5. Holder

6. Hancock

7. Pedersen

8. Bjerre

9. Harris

10. Holta

And a pretty strange opinion at that! The best riders are in the GP. The others can qualify by right through the GP Challenge. Some get a wild card spot based on their efforts in world speedway in the previous year, some admittedly because of their nationality.

However, they dont get there because they are rich, invited in because of the sponsors they can bring with them, or purely their commercial merchandising value, which are three big reasons to get yourself into Formula 1 or MotoGP.

I can only mention Jerzy Scezakiel (spelling) 1973 - was a no hoper who was allowed to chase his dream in the World Championship. He took his chance and won it after no less a Rider than Ivan Mauger fell. THAT is a great example of the unpredictability of our Sport.

Jack Young won the Title as a SECOND Division Rider. He would not be able to do that today. Why??? Because of the System.

Why should Riders be SELECTED or given Wild Cards.??

I doubt very much whether a Premier League Rider could win the Championship these days - why??? Because of the System. The Speedway GPs are rigged - they always will be rigged as long as Riders are selected and do not earn their place. It is not enough to say that because they finished in the top eight THIS year that they should be invited back the next by right - that is wrong. Half the thrill in the old days was to see the odd 'Star' fall. Not much chance of that these days - it's just not allowed to happen - how can that be right??

The reason the 'Stars' are 'put through' is because of that magic word MONEY. BSI are only in the GP Series to make MONEY - nothing wrong with that - but - it is not in THEIR interests to have a Star Name tumble out in the early Qualifying Rounds. So currently the System AWARDS places to quite a lot of Riders. Those places should be EARNED not AWARDED. Because of the Awarded positions - and I include Wild Cards in this - the System lessens the chances of a 'bread and butter' Rider getting through - it can happen in rare cases but the chances are considerably reduced.

All I ask for is a fair and even playing field for ALL. How can anybody argue with that???

I can only mention Jerzy Scezakiel (spelling) 1973 - was a no hoper who was allowed to chase his dream in the World Championship. He took his chance and won it after no less a Rider than Ivan Mauger fell. THAT is a great example of the unpredictability of our Sport.

Jack Young won the Title as a SECOND Division Rider. He would not be able to do that today. Why??? Because of the System.

Why should Riders be SELECTED or given Wild Cards.??

I doubt very much whether a Premier League Rider could win the Championship these days - why??? Because of the System. The Speedway GPs are rigged - they always will be rigged as long as Riders are selected and do not earn their place. It is not enough to say that because they finished in the top eight THIS year that they should be invited back the next by right - that is wrong. Half the thrill in the old days was to see the odd 'Star' fall. Not much chance of that these days - it's just not allowed to happen - how can that be right??

The reason the 'Stars' are 'put through' is because of that magic word MONEY. BSI are only in the GP Series to make MONEY - nothing wrong with that - but - it is not in THEIR interests to have a Star Name tumble out in the early Qualifying Rounds. So currently the System AWARDS places to quite a lot of Riders. Those places should be EARNED not AWARDED. Because of the Awarded positions - and I include Wild Cards in this - the System lessens the chances of a 'bread and butter' Rider getting through - it can happen in rare cases but the chances are considerably reduced.

All I ask for is a fair and even playing field for ALL. How can anybody argue with that???

I have to disagree. Jerzy Szczakiel was not a worthy World Champion, neither was Egon Muller. Ok they won it and what a thrill for them, but it did nothing for speedway.

A second division, or Premier League rider does have a chance to be world champion via the qualification rounds. Carl Stonehewer was a lower league rider when competing, and holding his own in the GPs only some 8 years or so ago. The reason they don't qualify is that generally they aren't good enough to. Not many Division 2 riders made a World Final. Apart from your example I can only think of Jan Staechmann.

I was totally against the complete selection method of the mid 2000s which was all about money and if your face fitted. I don't wholly agree with seeding the top 8, I think the top 4 is enough which would make the riders push harder to survive and open up more qualifying places but to say it's rigged is way off the mark.

In general we have the best riders in the GP with the possible exception of Hans Andersen this year. I'm not sure what a Premier League rider could bring to the GP that we don't already have.

I doubt very much whether a Premier League Rider could win the Championship these days - why??? Because of the System.

Or because there are none good enough. Dinosaurs. :rolleyes:

Pedersern at 10s seems decent value ... If you can get 12s would be worth an e/w shout. Has put together a new team behind the scenes + would be most unlike the Dane to have another season like 2011.

I have to disagree. Jerzy Szczakiel was not a worthy World Champion, neither was Egon Muller. Ok they won it and what a thrill for them, but it did nothing for speedway.

A second division, or Premier League rider does have a chance to be world champion via the qualification rounds. Carl Stonehewer was a lower league rider when competing, and holding his own in the GPs only some 8 years or so ago. The reason they don't qualify is that generally they aren't good enough to. Not many Division 2 riders made a World Final. Apart from your example I can only think of Jan Staechmann.

I was totally against the complete selection method of the mid 2000s which was all about money and if your face fitted. I don't wholly agree with seeding the top 8, I think the top 4 is enough which would make the riders push harder to survive and open up more qualifying places but to say it's rigged is way off the mark.

In general we have the best riders in the GP with the possible exception of Hans Andersen this year. I'm not sure what a Premier League rider could bring to the GP that we don't already have.

A sense of surprise, the possibility of something different. Even if this hypothetical Rider embarasses himself - at least he has had the opportunity. If Jack Young could do it - maybe somebody else could too - given the chance. It COULD be possible, even today, given a level playing field.

It won't happen though - the System is rigged so that the so called 'Superstars' get into the Grand Prix EVERY year. If that isn't rigging - then I'm not sure what is. :angry::angry::angry:

I know I am/will be regarded as a bit of a Dinosaur - but whatever happened to honesty, integrity and straightforward good sportsmanship. I don't see much evidence of that in the Grand Prix selection System. Ooops!! - should I have said Qualifying System??? - I DON'T THINK SO!!!. :angry:

Edited by The White Knight

Wouldn't argue with many of the comments about Crumpy - fully fit I feel there's another world title there for him.

From what I saw of Kolodziej last season I'd be well surprised if he doesn't finish top 6 in the series - fantastic to watch.

There have been a few more surprises in speedway than just Szczakiel and Mueller that in opinions of many would not deserve their titles. Bronze medal from Hungarians in 1989 world pairs, bronze medal from Craig Boyce in Vojens World Final 1994, Gary Havelock's gold medal in Wroclaw 1992... One could keep listing these endlessly. The thing is that we are dealing with a sport here and nothing is certain.

As for GP 2011... I am also hoping to see Crump in gold once again as well as one of the Danes returning to the top 3. Gollob and Hampel will not give it up easily. As for Holder... I think his form in GP is still a bit to erratic but he might strike top 5. As for Kolodziej... it is quite unpredictable. He is not a tough rider like Crump, Gollob, Pedersen but still can make it to top 8. IN his previous years he often struggled with his bikes and since GP is a new experience for him, he should be especially prepared for this.

Edited by Dexter

Nicki Pedersen will be back up there challenging for honours in 2011, I have no fear about that.

It was clearly his mechanical setup which hampered him in 2010. Looking at the new team he has in place, I would definately put money on him being 2011 world champ.

Nicki Pedersen or Emil Sayfutdinov as the best outside bet to challenge Crump and Gollob. Both have the crazy adrenline and speed to be WC. Just need to stay fit!

Jarek Hampel and Janusz Kolodziej to be threating that pack too. Rune Holta, to be just behind these two.

AJ and Kenneth Bjerre likely battling it out for 8th spot.

Can see Freddie, Harris and Holder struggling, the GP series looks so strong and these guys rely more on talent than speed. Hancock also in this group.

Lindback and Laguta, well, they will have their moments, but throw in some low scores too. Definitely an interesting season ahead.

i actually hold the opnion that Holder will fall out of the top 8 this year. i think the competition is much stronger this year than last and can see him struggling