British Speedway Forum
gypilgrim

Sheffield & Scunthorpe Nl Team

There could be a trend happening in the national league born out of financial problems, Cutting cost in this way could see the expansion of the league in future seasons giving more oportunities for british youngsters .however i can see the points limit dropping accordingly...

Lewis, many thanks for the link to the Scunthorpe Telegraph.

It seems like this is driven by a need to cut costs, which is understandable. Just hope that if the Saints have stand alone meetings at Sheffield they don't perform in front of empty terraces. Maybe having Ashley Birks doubling up with the Tigers will encourage support from the locals.

I presume that Scunthorpe will run the traditional Bank Holiday double-headers which will account for four meetings. With Sheffield also hosting four fixtures this just leaves a couple of dates (don't forget about the KO Cup)for Scunthorpe to fit in amongst the Premier League fixtures.

Doncaster Dragons?

A better geographical compromise for sure. However, I imagine that there will be a hell of a lot of Vikings fans still pining for their team compared to die hard Dragons fans still out there. :wink:

There could be a trend happening in the national league born out of financial problems, Cutting cost in this way could see the expansion of the league in future seasons giving more oportunities for british youngsters .however i can see the points limit dropping accordingly...

Exactly right, have June or Albert realised that there is a recession on at the moment.

Rob Godfrey has done an excellent job at Scunthorpe since reviving speedway, but it must have cost a lot of time and energy, and maybe its time in his mind that someone came in and gave him some assistance, and the Sheffield and Scunthorpe promotions have always had a very good working relationship.

This can only be good for riders, two different tracks to ride at home to give them a greater erperience and two tracks to give them the opportunity to move up to when they are ready for Premier League racing, not forgetting 2nd half opportunities.

For me this is the way to go with the National League, which is the share the costs between clubs and gives clubs the chance develop young British riders which we seem to be sadly lacking.

I don't think that we will ever see full time National League at Sheffield as obtaining dates and the cost of rent would make it impossible, and think on while Rob Godfrey is not spending the money on running two teams he can spend the money on something else, stadium facilities or better riders for the senior team.

And finally why would be a good idea to re name the team, having either Hull or Vikings in the name would keep the name of a club that has disappeared from speedway, and keeping the name in the name alive could show the powers that be in that city, what speedway is about and hopefully attract the supporters from Hull who have not had a club to support.

I see on the BSPA website that scunthrope has signed Stefan Nielsen is this the same youngster who use to be KingsLynn mascot ?

Well, that's one solution I didn't think of:

Sunthorpeslashsheffield Saintsslashprowlers it is ! :blink:

So Squall, are you going to abandon Buxton and support the Saintsslashprowlers ? :D

Edited by Exiled Cuda

I see on the BSPA website that scunthrope has signed Stefan Nielsen is this the same youngster who use to be KingsLynn mascot ?

Theres a photo of the young rider on the " Scunny official web site"

Cant wait to watch Stefan race for the Saints known Mr Nielsen a few years now for racing against him on the Internet game Turbo Sliders. Hes a Welcome addition to the Saints ranks and imo the Saints will probably have the strongest pairing at reserve in the league in Stef and Richie Worrall.

Edited by Superstar1

Theres a photo of the young rider on the " Scunny official web site"

Just have to ask if anyone knows who this is, having checked various sites the only rider I can find is Danish and was born in Oct 1994 so the question is how is he eligiable for NL on a 3 point average as I thought overseas riders were not permitted or does he have dual nationality

Just have to ask if anyone knows who this is, having checked various sites the only rider I can find is Danish and was born in Oct 1994 so the question is how is he eligiable for NL on a 3 point average as I thought overseas riders were not permitted or does he have dual nationality

British Passport i believe

You're right, he has dual nationality, but has a British passport. British mother, Danish father.

So Squall, are you going to abandon Buxton and support the Saintsslashprowlers ? :D

I'll never abandon Buxton! I'll be supporting Richie and Stefan though. Does that end all the winter speculation of who I'm supporting? :P

I'll never abandon Buxton! I'll be supporting Richie and Stefan though. Does that end all the winter speculation of who I'm supporting? :P

Nope :P