British Speedway Forum
gypilgrim

Sheffield & Scunthorpe Nl Team

Good news indeed Rob, although I too prefered a

3pm start!

Scorpions v Ipswich followed by Saints v Mildenhall

Would be a perfect D/H.

Cooper leading the team would be great! would be entertaining and a very good rider in the NL plus he brings the team together with his personality. would be a good confidence building season for Coops after his injury.

Would be awesome I have to say I hope that this could be done. Would be an amazing addition to the NL.

Rob Godfrey quoted,

".. the team will appear as Scunthorpe/Sheffield in the league table, but will race as Scunthorpe Saints at Scunthorpe and as Sheffield at Sheffield, probably resurrecting the Prowlers nickname. If, for argument's sake, the Isle of Wight come to Scunthorpe, it will be Scunthorpe who will go to the Isle of Wight for the return fixture but if Buxton go to Sheffield, then it will be Sheffield who go to Buxton

Gosh, that away match 'protocol' seems remarkably confusing...?! :blink: Surely in reality as an away team, it'll have to be the combined Scunthorpe/Sheffield name won't it..?! :unsure:

Rob Godfrey quoted,

".. the team will appear as Scunthorpe/Sheffield in the league table, but will race as Scunthorpe Saints at Scunthorpe and as Sheffield at Sheffield, probably resurrecting the Prowlers nickname. If, for argument's sake, the Isle of Wight come to Scunthorpe, it will be Scunthorpe who will go to the Isle of Wight for the return fixture but if Buxton go to Sheffield, then it will be Sheffield who go to Buxton

Gosh, that away match 'protocol' seems remarkably confusing...?! :blink: Surely in reality as an away team, it'll have to be the combined Scunthorpe/Sheffield name won't it..?! :unsure:

sorry but this makes a mockery of the NL,why did they just not go under the name of HULL at least it might generate interest from Vikings fans.

sorry but this makes a mockery of the NL,why did they just not go under the name of HULL at least it might generate interest from Vikings fans.

Thats easy they are not fron Hull what is a mockery is teams calling themselves names that they are not :mad:

Thats easy they are not fron Hull what is a mockery is teams calling themselves names that they are not :mad:

Got to agree with you on that one. As almost stated earlier in the topic thread. :)

What i find really interesting is that i have always thought all Scunny fans have always seemed to support the ideals that whats most important is whats best for british riders at NL level because Scunny's promotion have always supported the ideals of the NL since they started in the PL.

Scunny's promotion have now done whats best for there business going forward, and done something progressive for the riders & there development, rather than saying it was unaffordable.

The suggestion of running under Hull was a nice suggestion, & i can understand that if the team is succesful this year, then it may take the shine off it for some fans by running partially under Sheffields name.

But it would be a real shame if those fans who have actively supported the young riders dont support them because of a team name, when they could really achieve something special this year.

They need your support, and if they are succesful this year it will be a tremendous achievement for them, and a succes the fans who have supported them should share in, irrespective of that you shouldnt be any less proud of them whatever they achieve or wherever they finish.

Without the Scunny fans or promotion, some of these riders would never have had an opportunity, stick with them.

Edited by shirlmeister general

I think this is a great idea regarding the use of 2 tracks for a NL team. Was it an idea, last year, put forward by Rob & Neil that brought Dudley back, racing at 2 tracks. This year we have the tie up between Lakeside & Rye for the Hackney Hawks.

Regarding the support of the Saints, double headers were always well supported & worth the money. Last year, the stand alone meetings for the Saints were poorly supported, & wrongly in my view, as the NL always gives the best entertainment.

Reading through this topic, there are only about a dozen who are posting on here & you will find a few Scunthorpe supporters that watch speedway in Sheffield for their own enjoyment, so, i would think, there would be a considerable contingent that would travel & car share. I travel in car & on bike so there are opportunities for others to travel with me & i know of others that travel also. Support for the Saints/Prowlers?, in Sheffield, would not be a problem.

This is an unusual tie-up with lots of benefits, but I have to agree that the away match protocol is too bizarre. They should carry the joint Sheffield/Scunthorpe tag for away matches.

Anyway, no disrespect to Scunthorpe, which I enjoyed visiting last season, but I am hoping for Heathens at Owlerton this year!

This National League is getting better - now have possible trips to see the Heathens at Belle Vue, Sheffield and Stoke, plus riding against Hackney. Shame Peterborough and Coventry didn't join - it would almost feel like an old British League fixture list!

orry but this makes a mockery of the NL,why did they just not go under the name of HULL at least it might generate interest from Vikings fans.

Sorry Ken it is not a mockery at all.

This is a fusion of two Clubs who want to do all that they can to develop British Speedway riders but minimise the financial risk to themseleves in doing so in these difficult times.

Why should the Scunthorpe supporters lose their Saints team when the side ride at the EWR in favour of something unrelated such as Hull or Doncaster. I know from my time at Scunthorpe that the Saints were a very popular part of the Club and some folks even preferred watching the Saints to the PL matches.

So let's not decry the efforts of two clubs that have put their heads together and developed a solution that they feel is commercially viable for them. The situation elsewhere ie Lakeside/Rye House may well be different and that is why the Hackney name has been chosen. The Clubs involved have again come up with a solution that they feel suits them and good luck to them.

I wonder if the sharing model will catch on it has been done at this level before in 1997 when Reading/Swindon, Newport/Exeter, Wolverhampton/Long Eaton and Ipswich/Kings Lynn had shared teams. I would have thought there could be a real possibility for Glasgow/Edinburgh and Berwick/Newcastle to share and maybe Birmingham/Coventry if we see the return of the Bees.

Mockery of the League - nothing that could provide all of these racing opportunities could possibly be described as that - indeed it could be the Saviour of the League.

And this shortage of rider everyone predicted. My phone never stops ringing with calls from riders without a team. To the extent that Dave Tattum and I converse almost daily about our plans and how various riders mught fit.

Malcolm Vasey

And this shortage of rider everyone predicted. My phone never stops ringing with calls from riders without a team. To the extent that Dave Tattum and I converse almost daily about our plans and how various riders mught fit.

Malcolm Vasey

Rest of your post was spot on Malcolm. But considering I've decided too take a bit of an interest in stokes side, I would just like too say well done so far the balance so far between everything is spot on, glad the phone hasn't stopped ringing I was sure that that would be the case. Good luck with the rest of the team, & I will look forward to seeing the potters at Newport in 2011.

Edited by shirlmeister general

Does it really matter what the team is called at away matches? I think its easy to get tied up in too much protocol. What really matters is that young riders get the opportunity to race on an extra track and that the costs of running the team are spread out which surely reduces the chances of it disappearing.

If this and what Rye and Lakeside are doing starts a trend of teams collaborating to run an NL side then it can only be a good thing, my concern wouldn't be over team names, more over what will happen when these teams produce riders who will be wanted by both clubs for the Premier League side, at the moment most of the Saints are Scunthorpe assets of course, but say for example Stefan comes through and is wanted to race PL, will he be an asset of Scunthorpe or Sheffield. This could cause clubs falling out and breaking up the partnerships which are being built.

If this and what Rye and Lakeside are doing starts a trend of teams collaborating to run an NL side then it can only be a good thing, my concern wouldn't be over team names, more over what will happen when these teams produce riders who will be wanted by both clubs for the Premier League side, at the moment most of the Saints are Scunthorpe assets of course, but say for example Stefan comes through and is wanted to race PL, will he be an asset of Scunthorpe or Sheffield. This could cause clubs falling out and breaking up the partnerships which are being built.

All riders sign to the Saints past and recent are assets of the Scunthorpe Promotion, and will stay that way.

As for any other rider signing for merger team they will have the option of signing for either Promotion.

The team at present will be made up of Scunthorpe assets, but Sheffield could sign up riders for the merger team with them possibly coming up for selection for the National League team.

Of course riders from the merger team would I imagine get preference to ride for any of the two clubs regardless to who they are contracted to.