British Speedway Forum
stressed

Islanders V Hornets

ISLANDERS TACKLE HORNETS [Preview]

By Isle of Wight Speedway ~ Tuesday 10th May 2011

Wightlink Islanders tackle the Newport Hornets in Knock Out Cup action tonight with Luke Chessell replacing the injured Tom Hill at reserve for the Islanders at Smallbrook Stadium.

Hunt said; "I would like to thank Rob Godfrey at Scunthorpe for his help allowing us to sign Luke Chessell as cover for Tom until he is fit to return to the saddle. All of us on the Island would like to wish Tom a speedy recovery."

Brendan Johnson took a last minute call up to ride in the European Under 19's last Saturday in Germany, he had two second places and two thirds and a nasty fall in his third outing. "I have a sore shoulder and took a big knock to my head again, it was a bit like the crash on the Isle of Wight! One of the Polish riders came underneath me, I was able to get back up the inside of the Polish rider, he picked up grip his bike hit the fence and rebounded back into mine wiping my front wheel out. I went head first onto the ground smashing all my safety gear, snapping my head brace, cracking my helmet, my kevlars were ripped and a lot of things on the bike were broken, but I'm ok."

Hunt added; "We need to push on and take every point we can to take with us to Newport on Saturday for the second leg, they have a good home advantage around Newport and have a strong line up with a very strong top two in Herne and Kurtz."

Johnson said. "We have a solid team and were unlucky not to get any points away from home at Belle Vue, the team spirit is definately there this year and we just need to get some points on the board. Newport are strong but not one of the league favourites, I feel we can get wins home and away against Newport to get into the next round.

Johnson added, "I'm feeling very confident and enjoying my racing again after last season coming back from my injury which I don't like to use as an excuse but I was struggling a bit with motivation but this year I've got my head screwed on, feeling more confident, enjoying my racing, learning a lot and even wanting to be out in the workshop 24/7 again and I've really got the bug back again."

The Islanders return to track action in two weeks on Tuesday 24th May with their first league fixture at home against Belle Vue Colts following the return of this evenings KO Cup fixture against Newport Hornets which has a revised start time of 4.00pm.

ISLE OF WIGHT ISLANDERS

1. Paul Starke

2. Rob Smith

3. Lee Smethills

4. Brendan Johnson

5. Nick Simmons

6. Luke Chessell

7. John Resch

Team managers: Chris Hunt

NEWPORT HORNETS

1. Jay Herne

2. Tom Young

3. James White Williams

4. Matt Bates

5. Todd Kurtz

6. David Gough

7. Richard Andrews

Team managers: Kevin Brown

REFEREE: Dave Robinson

I see that Luke Chessell comes in for the Wightlink Islanders tonight as a replacement for the injured Tom Hill.

I see that Luke Chessell comes in for the Wightlink Islanders tonight as a replacement for the injured Tom Hill.

Did you see that in the OP?

Didn't even realise the IoW were still running. They used to put out some good sides at Premier level, shame they've regressed so much.

Did you see that in the OP?

Saw it above! :blink:

Come on the MIGHTY hornets....

Islanders to win 54-40.

Hot Toddy & Jay to score 28 points between them.

If we are to do better than that, much will depend as it will do all season on what our mid order of JWW, Matty & Tom do. If they go well think we may get closer.

Good luck tonight to both sides.

Edited by shirlmeister general

Easy win for the solid islanders over a one and a half man away team really.

Kurtz was classy for newport but didnt get much back up, the iow were very solid esp the useful resch at reserve.

Just wanted to say that from a mainland customers perspective the new taxi to and from the meeting is completely diffrent gravy to the old will/wont the bus turn up scenario so well done on that score.

The racings a bit too spaced out for my liking , tracks just too big for a development league but it was ok.

Easy win for the solid islanders over a one and a half man away team really.

Kurtz was classy for newport but didnt get much back up, the iow were very solid esp the useful resch at reserve.

Just wanted to say that from a mainland customers perspective the new taxi to and from the meeting is completely diffrent gravy to the old will/wont the bus turn up scenario so well done on that score.

The racings a bit too spaced out for my liking , tracks just too big for a development league but it was ok.

i have to agree the taxi worked really well. was you one of the magnificent seven that caught the 6.15 ferry last night. :unsure:

newport far to top heavy, thats ok if you have super reserve, or lower rider on very low false average. but newport havent the only thing they might win is the pairs

I don't think Newport's side this year is about winning anything. Disappointing from White-Williams who really should be scoring points.

First visit to Smallbrook, on holiday on the island. Friendly little set-up and a lot less serious than Swindon Elite League matches.

Track probably too big and little passing. Crowd of around 250, which someone says doubles in school summer holidays. Good luck Islanders.