British Speedway Forum

I was just reading the top section forum about it,

I understand all the facts and figures the BSPA have come up with but at the end of the day surely Ipswich would have a strong enough pairing to compete!

How can it be called the Premier league pairs when not all of the teams are in it!?

The BSPA in their infinite wisdom decided on the format that was to be adopted. Our Promotion as members of the BSPA went along with this, so we just have to accept that we were not good enough to qualify.

Anything else just sounds like sour grapes!

I agree, You could end up with the premier leagues 2 showcase events not having the best riders on show which is surely not the best advertisement for our league

If your to thick to have done your homework , dont post :lol:

If you're too illiterate to compose a word perfect response don't respond :P

The BSPA in their infinite wisdom decided on the format that was to be adopted. Our Promotion as members of the BSPA went along with this, so we just have to accept that we were not good enough to qualify.

Anything else just sounds like sour grapes!

Does 'anything else like sour grapes' include the fact that we were left out because our promotion and the BSPA adopted this format and not because we are not able to field 2 riders good enough!

my point is its us the fans who are missing out

the promotion and the BSPA have got this wrong

I don't agree that it's sour grapes. I know its our first year in the PL and I realise this is the format used in the past, but that doesn't make it right. There are formats for this sort of event which could include all PL teams without having a silly amount of heats.

I would imagine most fans would like to see the best PL riders, its ridiculous that Newport with a strong duo and probably bringing the biggest amount of fans with them aren't included. From an Ipswich angle, I'm sure Kevin Doolan and Lasse Bjerre would be a competitive pair on the evening. Premier League(or EL or NL) events must involve all teams.

I don't agree that it's sour grapes. I know its our first year in the PL and I realise this is the format used in the past, but that doesn't make it right. There are formats for this sort of event which could include all PL teams without having a silly amount of heats.

I would imagine most fans would like to see the best PL riders, its ridiculous that Newport with a strong duo and probably bringing the biggest amount of fans with them aren't included. From an Ipswich angle, I'm sure Kevin Doolan and Lasse Bjerre would be a competitive pair on the evening. Premier League(or EL or NL) events must involve all teams.

But everyone knew the format before the season starts, so it'd be unfair on the likes of Plymouth and it's to be told they can't enter the pairs though they have got through rightly within the rules they've set and agree upon this season. At the end of the day you've missed, I'd rather have Ipswich or Newport in the competition but that's the way it goes unfortunately. I think what we should be looking for is that next year for the format to change so we don't see this problem raising it's ugly head again.

I just hope that this doesn't carry on after he event and doesn't overshadow the winners of the pairs or i'd certainly say there's some sour grapes about :neutral:

That's what I'm saying SKJ. I know the rules were agreed before the season started and no it wouldn't be fair to pull Plymouth for example out and replace them with Newport just because they on paper would be more competitive. This format is denying the paying public the chance to see the best riders, yes Doyle, Bjerre, Doolan etc should be riding, but as well as, not instead of others!

But everyone knew the format before the season starts, so it'd be unfair on the likes of Plymouth and it's to be told they can't enter the pairs though they have got through rightly within the rules they've set and agree upon this season. At the end of the day you've missed, I'd rather have Ipswich or Newport in the competition but that's the way it goes unfortunately. I think what we should be looking for is that next year for the format to change so we don't see this problem raising it's ugly head again.

I just hope that this doesn't carry on after he event and doesn't overshadow the winners of the pairs or i'd certainly say there's some sour grapes about :neutral:

i would have been great to have seen all the teams in the league competing to see who has the top two riders on the night, surely thats what its all about

but its not to be this year and hopefully will be sorted out for next season but ill still be there as a neutral! and will cheer the winners like everbody else

Does 'anything else like sour grapes' include the fact that we were left out because our promotion and the BSPA adopted this format and not because we are not able to field 2 riders good enough!

my point is its us the fans who are missing out

the promotion and the BSPA have got this wrong

But the fact is we didn't have two riders good enough.

Doolan and Risager's combined average of 15.41 placed them in 11th position just 0.18 behind 10th placed Leicester Lions.

Given that the Promoter's decided that the PL Pairs would be contested by 10 teams, then sadly four were always going to miss out. The fact is we just weren't good enough. So get over it and move on.

Of course instead of sucking on those sour grapes you could start campaigning for change next year. Who knows they may just listen!!!

That's what I'm saying SKJ. I know the rules were agreed before the season started and no it wouldn't be fair to pull Plymouth for example out and replace them with Newport just because they on paper would be more competitive. This format is denying the paying public the chance to see the best riders, yes Doyle, Bjerre, Doolan etc should be riding, but as well as, not instead of others!

This format throws this arguement up every year . And until there is some sort of qualifying procedure introduced to give everyone a fair chance , then it will continue to do so . A couple of years back the powers that be decided to use the results of heat fifteens in the Premier Trophy meetings to decide qualification . Again that was met with critisism , but it was fairer than what we have now .

But the rules also state that each club can send any two from their top three in their averages. If they are unable to do that, then should they be in the meeting with a rider that is forth or fifth in their averages.

This format throws this arguement up every year . And until there is some sort of qualifying procedure introduced to give everyone a fair chance , then it will continue to do so . A couple of years back the powers that be decided to use the results of heat fifteens in the Premier Trophy meetings to decide qualification . Again that was met with critisism , but it was fairer than what we have now .

With tracks struggling to get 10 home and away fixtures completed by the end of July, so that the Phase 2 fixtures can be compiled, one wonders if the fixture list can accommodate a Pairs Qualifier.

Edited by Mr Snackette

With tracks struggling to get 10 home and away fixtures completed by the end of July, so that the Phase 2 fixtures can be compiled, one wonders if the fixture list can accommodate a Pairs Qualifier.

I don't see why not . A Northern qualifier and a Southern qualifier could be easily fitted in , with tracks taking turns to host it year by year . One Weekend at the start of the season could be accomodated quite comfortably .