British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney V Mildenhall Koc

I believe Ben Morley drops to reserve by virtue of not attaining an average in the NL this season so far, Shane and Magic are the only riders to put their averages up!

Odd shower forecast today, hopefully Silver won't go for one of his early call offs :rolleyes:

The barrier has nothing to do with Rye House Speedway as I belive it's a private road owned by one of the water companies. It can easily be bypassed by carrying on down the A414 and driving through Hoddesdon, adding a few minutes to your journey

Not sure what your beef is with the car park, seems ok to me and I've been parking there since 1985. At least it's free, unlike some places. Armadale & Glasgow charge £2 for the privelege.

The track I admit isn't the best, but I haven't heard any riders complain about bumps and ridges. It's one of the smoothest tracks in the league, which is what most away fans seems to be complaining about. You may be refering to the adverse camber on the first and second bends. That is something that Rye fans have been puzzled about for ages. I had it explained to me by Mark the track man last week but I can't remember exactly what he said!!

You are pretty much spot on there.

Well thanks for your inside views that explanation was very eye opening. Having not visited Rye House for about 30 years, I had no idea of the other way of going as I was using satnav and was glad of it. Your remarks about the track are pretty spot on but just ask Morten Risager what he thinks of the track! The car park was total chaos with cars going in all directions and parking was a shambles. Had to wait nearly 10 minutes for a pee and gave up on waiting for fish"n"chips as we were not going to wait an hour and miss the racing and went hungry. As I said not a good experience and will not go again but thanks for your thoughts.

aljack, i guess its being so cheerful that keeps you going. :lol:

Just saying it as I see it and being realistic thats all. The Rye House track is the worst Ive seen so whats wrong stating the facts :cheers:

I expect this is going to be the silliest question of the day that I ask...but I will go for it anyway.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

I started the thread on Hackney v Mildenhall. Yet again a speedway thread taken over by the doom merchants and moaners! Perhaps we should have a separate stand alone section for these people?

Back to the thread. Weather forecast is for light showers so let’s hope we can stay clear of them today at Rye House. Sure the Hawks will be up for it tonight but after there very disappointing performance at West Row last Sunday have made things very difficult for themselves. Shane Hazeldene will be in the main body of the team, well deserved and sure he will just carry on where he left of. Little Ben Morley swaps places so we still have an on form reserve.

A Hackney win of course would be nice, a big Hackney win would be even nicer! But lets hope for a good second leg and let National League Speedway be the winner!

Well thanks for your inside views that explanation was very eye opening. Having not visited Rye House for about 30 years, I had no idea of the other way of going as I was using satnav and was glad of it. Your remarks about the track are pretty spot on but just ask Morten Risager what he thinks of the track! The car park was total chaos with cars going in all directions and parking was a shambles. Had to wait nearly 10 minutes for a pee and gave up on waiting for fish"n"chips as we were not going to wait an hour and miss the racing and went hungry. As I said not a good experience and will not go again but thanks for your thoughts.

Well one visit in 30 years your absence will not be missed ;)

Shane is at 1, with ben Hopwood at 2, Ben Morley drops to reserve, Portwood comes in at 6 for the Tigers with Jo Jacobs the other reserve. :rolleyes: think i will record the gp, jusy in case there is a race on it!

Shane is at 1, with ben Hopwood at 2, Ben Morley drops to reserve, Portwood comes in at 6 for the Tigers with Jo Jacobs the other reserve. :rolleyes: think i will record the gp, jusy in case there is a race on it!

Well is that attitude the correct one, remember Witches are in the premier league now and will be visiting on a regular basis from now on. So thats why Ive only had one visit in 30 years. I went to Rye House in a convoy of 4 cars with 4 in each, thats 16 paying customers paying OTT prices and thats alot of revenue to be lost for Len Silver. As none of us will go again and Im sure many more Witches fans will not either. So think on Glenn, its down to fans attending meetings that keep speedway going, without them - no speedway :t:

The negativity coming from Rye House for Hackney matches I am finding unbelievable. Everyone has complained about the cost, but it’s the same cost if you see Hackney at Lakeside, with the cost of a programme is a £1 more! They seem to be getting much bigger crowds, certainly where against Dudley and I’m just wondering why? Next season if the crowds carry on like this at both tracks, there wont be a NL team at Rye House, perhaps only at Arena. That would be a crying shame should that happen and would love to know why Arena [and in my oppion at a inferior stadium and track!] seem to attract the crowd but Rye doesn’t, it obviously isn’t the cost!

It is not quite as clear cut as that. OAPs get in for £10 but, more importantly, existing Lakeside season ticket holders are admitted for £6 (OAPs £5) plus free programme. Also, 17-18 year olds are charged £10, 6 - 16 £2 and under 6 free.

For some reason Lakeside have a very solid fan base which Rye do not seem to have. Even with under-performing EL team the EL crowds are said to be slightly up again this year, which is a year-on-year increase since Jon Cook and Stuart Douglas took over. Personally I think Rye House is a nice little stadium and I quite enjoy going there occasionally. I find the atmosphere pretty comfortable there but I do think Uncle Len is losing the plot a bit. He is still running meetings as he did 30 or 40 years ago and doesn't recognise that things have moved on. Cook and Douglas seem much more in touch with their fans to me, and do much better than Len with far fewer facilities.

At one time Len was regarded as one of the best track men in the country but it always seems to me at Rye that they always attempt to do the same things to the track irrespective of conditions. Seems to me they need more people on the rakes bringing the dirt back in and more attention to watering and tractor work.

Its a pity because I do like an occasional Sunday afternoon at Rye House but the track prep often lets it down. With more care on the track and a better overall presentation it could be a really nice place to go and I would go there more often.

I think a lot of fans are too fickle about the team being called Hackney and not Rye House. If it enables speedway to survive and brings youngsters through , whats the problem ?

What does the Cook / Douglas pair do that Silver doesn't? For one thing unlike Silver they haven't provided a League winning septet once let alone twice in the last decade continually needing to borrow riders from other clubs

So quite how are meetings run differently at other tracks compared to the way they were run 30 years ago. Not sure that i have noticed much difference at Eastbourne Ipswich Coventry Poole etc etc over the last 30 years. Riders are introduced, fifteen races take place the winners are paraded so what should he be doing as far as the meeting is concerned.

The loss of the Rye House name to the NL team that has been well supported in the past has alienated a lot of the fans quite understandably. A pathetic calender filler for Cook whose EL business obviously needs proping up due to an inferior product

As far as Rye goes Len has done lots right getting the stadium up to scratch with reasonable food free car park and somewhere to go when its cold. A far better prospect that a night out at Arena. Where he has really gone wrong the last couple of years is poor team building especially at reserve with very little coming through from NL level. Charging more than he should compared to other PL tracks and having the ability to do little to communicate with the customers via a poor website and even worse programme. This was acceptable as long as the Rockets were challenging for honours but our season was more or less over in may due to a couple of poor home meetings where our home advantage seems to be disapearing with the dirt that used to prove more than the current one racing line.

Despite the fact i live less than 3 miles from Arena there is no way i would give Rye a miss for a night out at Arena. As far as the crowd levels improving year on year they could hardly dip to where they were with Mr Russell in charge could they.

Edited by westhamboy66

It always amuses me when people complain about car parking.....if you go to any event anywhere and you park your car in an area with lots of other cars and there are only a couple of ways out of that car park you are going to have to wait, simple physics. Either leave a little earlier to beat the rush, stay late to let it clear or be content to get in a queue and tough it out!

It is not quite as clear cut as that. OAPs get in for £10 but, more importantly, existing Lakeside season ticket holders are admitted for £6 (OAPs £5) plus free programme. Also, 17-18 year olds are charged £10, 6 - 16 £2 and under 6 free.

To be fare the season ticket issue you raise isn't really relevant is it. Not many people can afford to shell out for a season ticket nor can many others commit to making it to all meetings making a season ticket so it actually benefits very few

Can anybody update on how the weather is please..Thanks in advance