British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney V Mildenhall Koc

Is that true..? Never recall there being big crowds other than when Uncle Len let punters in for free...

mmm have we seen you there since it was FREE??? I see this as lots of people stating what they want but living in the 1970's and not 2011, yeah great to see the Hawks race jackets, but it really has not caught the imagination, I love all speedway, but even I can see people are not flocking to either venue. Maybe we will see a Hawks team at one of teh Olympic park stadiums, but not at teh cost of the Rockets.

I see this as lots of people stating what they want but living in the 1970's and not 2011, yeah great to see the Hawks race jackets, but it really has not caught the imagination, I love all speedway, but even I can see people are not flocking to either venue. Maybe we will see a Hawks team at one of teh Olympic park stadiums, but not at teh cost of the Rockets.

It certainly didn't seem to be the case on Saturday Ken. The crowd must have been 60 - 40 Mildenhall followers (conservative estimate) and the rest mainly Rye House, I saw very little evidence of hoards of Hackney supporters in attendance.

No disrespect, but if it had been the IoW or say Buxton there on Saturday it would have been a very small crowd indeed.

I don't think the Hackney name has caught the imagination and may have even alienated some Rye House supporters who used to follow the Cobras :unsure:

Edited by PhilK

It certainly didn't seem to be the case on Saturday Ken. The crowd must have been 60 - 40 Mildenhall followers (conservative estimate) and the rest mainly Rye House, I saw very little evidence of hoards of Hackney supporters in attendance.

No disrespect, but if it had been the IoW or say Buxton there on Saturday it would have been a very small crowd indeed.

I don't think the Hackney name has caught the imagination and may have even alienated some Rye House supporters who used to follow the Cobras :unsure:

More enthusiasm (and far better promoted...) for the Hawks 'project' at Arena Essex/Lakeside..

Friday's an important date in that respect with the second stand-alone Hackney fixture at AE - and a more 'normal' one as not involving the very well supported as an away side, Dudley... It's IoW on Friday..

If the side was still the Rye House Raiders (not Cobras, that has to be the worst team nickname ever)

You must be joking Ben... There have been plenty worse over the years. Chads, Tamers, Shuttle Cubs, Lacemen, Poppies and probably the worst, Bloaters!!! That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more... Cobras was the name given to the speedway side in the post war film "Once A Jolly Swagman".

He should but Len is stuck in his ways, which is a shame as it is damaging his profits, the meetings don't have to be free even, just cheaper to get into, it'll help the riders and the place has more atmosphere when there are actually fans inside the stadium!

I remember Len stating that he lost money on only one meeting staged at Rye House last year... I wonder how many this year?

Hard to tell how many Hackney fans are at Rye House as they would have to still own the jackets and other clothing they had back in 1996 as I don't think Lakeside or Rye House track shops sell Hawks branded apparel Edited by Shadders

and probably the worst, Bloaters!!!

Great Yarmouth FC still called by that nickname!

Great Yarmouth FC still called by that nickname!

yeah seen em after a meal hahaha

You must be joking Ben... There have been plenty worse over the years. Chads, Tamers, Shuttle Cubs, Lacemen, Poppies and probably the worst, Bloaters!!! That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more... Cobras was the name given to the speedway side in the post war film "Once A Jolly Swagman".

Hard to tell how many Hackney fans are at Rye House as they would have to still own the jackets and other clothing they had back in 1996 as I don't think Lakeside or Rye House track shops sell Hawks branded apparel

Barrow Happy Faces - that's an all-time blooper!

And Hackney haven't actually been the 'Awks since 1983 - so those jackets and prog boards would have to be VERY old!!

Mind you plenty of Leicester Lions' ones reappeared at Beaumont Park and they also date back at least that far!!

Barrow Happy Faces - that's an all-time blooper!

And Hackney haven't actually been the 'Awks since 1983 - so those jackets and prog boards would have to be VERY old!!

Mind you plenty of Leicester Lions' ones reappeared at Beaumont Park and they also date back at least that far!!

hackney were the hawks in that disastrous season for london speedway 1991 :sad:

Hard to tell how many Hackney fans are at Rye House as they would have to still own the jackets and other clothing they had back in 1996 as I don't think Lakeside or Rye House track shops sell Hawks branded apparel

When I enquired about Hawks merchandise at Arena last week I was told there might be some badges coming soon, and that's all. No clothing, boards etc. No merchandise at all right now. In other words no chance of Hawks supporters showing their colours unless they're in possession of very very old gear.

Edited by Bryce

hackney were the hawks in that disastrous season for london speedway 1991 :sad:

Actually, it was 1996. The British GP was run there the previous year and subsequently Terry Russell and Ivor Henry, existing promoters at Arena Essex, applied successfully to stage racing there whereupon the existing Arena team transferred. Russell maintained that they would continue to keep Arena going but subsequently claimed to have been unable to agree favourable terms with the stock car owners. Eventually Peter Thorogood took over as promoter.

It wasn't that Hackney as a team were that disastrous, more average, it was the stadium owners who went into liquidation as far as I recall.

More enthusiasm (and far better promoted...) for the Hawks 'project' at Arena Essex/Lakeside..

Friday's an important date in that respect with the second stand-alone Hackney fixture at AE - and a more 'normal' one as not involving the very well supported as an away side, Dudley... It's IoW on Friday..

Better promoted, yes. I had noticed already, at the last Rye House meeting I attended, that not a single Hawks away match appears in the programme and none at all on their website which, in case some of you had thought it had disappeared altogether, can now be found here:

http://www.ryehouserockets.co/

Better promoted, yes. I had noticed already, at the last Rye House meeting I attended, that not a single Hawks away match appears in the programme and none at all on their website which, in case some of you had thought it had disappeared altogether, can now be found here:

http://www.ryehouserockets.co/

Www.hackneyhawks.co

When I enquired about Hawks merchandise at Arena last week I was told there might be some badges coming soon, and that's all. No clothing, boards etc. No merchandise at all right now. In other words no chance of Hawks supporters showing their colours unless they're in possession of very very old gear.

The situation on merchandise I’m afraid is a shambles, in fact the whole Hackney name is! No track shop on Hackney home meetings at Rye House and as for the track shop at Lakeside they seem to cater far more for stock cars than speedway let alone Hackney! However I did see a Hackney Hawks sun visor in a car on the way back from Mildenhall the other Sunday. The whole situation on a stand alone team should be run as Dudley does. I’m not saying for one minute it will improve the crowd. It should be, in my opinion, totally stand alone. Rye House and to a certain extend Lakeside don’t do that. It would be nice for both tracks to run the same programme which Lakeside has done for example.

Rye House fans, the majority who used to go when Hackney ran, never liked Hackney that much. It would be different the other way around. Hackney fans would support Rye House.

I a mere mortal, a Hackney fan would love to run a Hackney team at Rye and Lakeside. But could I afford the rent that both Lakeside and uncle Lennie would charge? On the current crowds at Rye House a big no! At Lakeside, well the crowd for there match against Dudley did look quite good, so that would be a possible yes.

Hackney need to be run as Hackney, not a Lakeside and Rye second team. Hackney needs a leader to steer them, regrettably that’s just not happening. It a case of just assuming and speedway so called promoters should never assume, but I’m afraid messieurs’ Cook and Silver have just done that!

Actually, it was 1996. The British GP was run there the previous year and subsequently Terry Russell and Ivor Henry, existing promoters at Arena Essex, applied successfully to stage racing there whereupon the existing Arena team transferred. Russell maintained that they would continue to keep Arena going but subsequently claimed to have been unable to agree favourable terms with the stock car owners. Eventually Peter Thorogood took over as promoter.

It wasn't that Hackney as a team were that disastrous, more average, it was the stadium owners who went into liquidation as far as I recall.

it was london lions in 1996 not hackney hawks. :wink: