British Speedway Forum
alan_boon

British Grand Prix, 25/06/11

Well.. I disagree with that. The GP wasn't about him, it was about 16 riders, all entertaining.

However, as much as Pedersen winds me up, he is theatre and box-office. And whatever he is, I refuse to accept some people's sentiments that he is simply a cheat and not a great rider. I don't see him a the ultimate sportsman, what I'll say about Nicki is that you don't fluke 3 World Titles, his record in speedway is very good, and he is a talented rider.

He also took his cap off for the American national anthem, and put it back on at the end. He does have his graces, you may have misjudged me on my stance towards him. I do get Nicki Pedersen. You can read him like a book.

Though he did try and ride EVERYONE into the fence, and then make light of it at the end. We see it every week, we know the drill. ;)

as you say,even before the first running of the final when emil came off,we knew what nicki would do given half the chance,it was his

only hope. he is like an open book isn't he,very very easy to predict what he will do.

as you say,even before the first running of the final when emil came off,we knew what nicki would do given half the chance,it was his

only hope. he is like an open book isn't he,very very easy to predict what he will do.

i will qualify that last comment by saying he only had chance to run people wide because he managed a decent getaway from

gate one,something which hardly anybody else did all night. i give him credit for that,wish crump had made a similiar jump

when he had gate one in his semi.

Its not surprising Steve, I allude to it in my post above. He has a very exciting riding style, has you on the edge of your seat the whole time. He also does (most of the time) come across very well when interviewed. The heat must be getting to me as I am seriously starting to warm to him, in GP's at least!

Top rider is Chris Holder in my opinion - to me there's only two riders in the GP series that still come across gracefully in interviews when things are not going so well and that's Chris Holder and Greg Hancock.

i will qualify that last comment by saying he only had chance to run people wide because he managed a decent getaway from

gate one,something which hardly anybody else did all night. i give him credit for that,wish crump had made a similiar jump

when he had gate one in his semi.

spot, and indeed, on.

Well the follow up coverage is as usual - poor... not in the news at all, only a tiny bit on skysports news

so WHY is the biggest event in the speedway calendar just ignored by the media circles?

I have had a theory for a while - where the sport is being held back - the only reason for this is for certain pocketeers losing control... but look what Bernie Ecclestone does with F1, just holds it to ransom.

Where were the junior races this year? the whole pre match entertainment was...erm... pointless, everyone turns up just for the racing, so why cant we have some pre racing races or something to entertain

The whole thing doesnt seem so slick like it used to be...

Something else i noticed - sponsors, where exactly are they, its a couple of polish citys!!!

Typical how the cheaper areas were packed - why pay more than the cheap seats - ive been to every angle of the stadium over the years, this year easily best, turn 4.

Well done Greg and Zorro for the showmanship - shame a lot of other riders ignore the crowd

I cant fault cardiff as a weekend - the location is superb, right in the city - moving it would be...dumb - now im familiar, as many are why would we want to change it - i wish youd all erase the thoughts of Wembley, its in the middle of nowhere....and the O2 is an equally difficult place to get to - the whole thing about the weekend is being able to walk around and chat with other fans and see riders about, the whole speedway community spirit.

Just wish the cost would go down - £29 for the cheapest ticket? actually working out to £35 when you add card charge and post - £10 for a programme - then hotel and travel = expensive... and yes where were all the vendors this year? i noticed the SGP merch has decreased drastically, now its a load of fake sellers.

Wouldnt it be better to have a totally sell out full stadium, the home straight was empty!!!! obviouslly BSI and the British promoters dont seem to realise the cheaper it is the fuller it will be.

And why do poland insist on running meets the day after the british gp - thats insane - the FIM or someone should ban the other countries apart from the host from holding meets the day after a huge event like that - imagine if you were a rider, just won a grand prix but had to get the next plane...the travel schedules are madness. ok rant over

Welsh open was ok too - but that seemed highly inflatted in price to previous years :(

I don't care how it come across on TV, being there Cardiff is just brilliant. As you run up the steps into the seating areas hearing the noise getting louder and louder until you walk in and that noise! WOW! 45,000 fans all cheering and booing. It's just brilliant.

I love it at Cardiff, I think it could all be from the gate but it would still be magical.

Throw in the chance to meet old and new friends. A great day out.

Got it in one. :approve:

Well worth the travel and expense to see, it just gets better and better. So glad to see Greg winning: if it's not an Aussie I'll settle for him every time, he is a class act.

I thought the racing was pretty good but then again most things do when plenty of beers been consumed :cheers:

Thankfully, wasn't sat by any Poles this year.

Had a great day out before it, meeting Squall and Jacques for the first time as well as catching up with Shadders, Paulco, potts, Tsunami, Najjer and the legendary H Man once again.

I must admit that I am quite keen on these 5pm starts, OK you have less drinking time pre meeting but we spent a good few hours in Cardiff drinking after the GP.

My only negative point is that for the price of it, the beer is terrible. No idea what the Cider or Bitter was like but the lager was warm and tasted like it had been there all week. Something that needs to be looked at in the future as it wasnt just a one off, all the beers I had were exactly the same.

Edited by Wanna

If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. [Ayrton Senna]

Well done Greg and Zorro for the showmanship - shame a lot of other riders ignore the crowd

Isn't that the fact!!!

Great weekend, though average meeting IMO....some of the poles were ott and Christ them bloody stairs in the stadium take some doing every 4 heats for a pint....great atmosphere but for the life of me, I can't see why grown men want to make a noise blowing into a tube lol...The venue becomes more and of a rip off each year also....alas we still pay it lol.

Isn't that the fact!!!

Well we bumped into a certain rider at the services on the way home

We had 5 kids under the age of 10 with us and they were very excited , he literally turned his back on them all as they shouted his name excitedly

Poor show

Well we bumped into a certain rider at the services on the way home

We had 5 kids under the age of 10 with us and they were very excited , he literally turned his back on them all as they shouted his name excitedly

Poor show

Name him? Who was it???? We can go hunt him down :lol:

Name him? Who was it???? We can go hunt him down :lol:

Seconded. Or at least PM all enquirers!!!!

I don't wanna cheer on anyone who snubs child fans!! Booooo!!!

Surely not mr bridger?