British Speedway Forum

me too.

Hmmm you could well be right there now I think about it, still think it could be tweaked mind - just a touch.

Hmmm you could well be right there now I think about it, still think it could be tweaked mind - just a touch.

the way its going there will be no brits in it soon so there's a tweak of sorts!

They did that 2 years ago.

Regards the build up last night, we all knew Stacy Soloman would be terrible and thank God she was only on 15 minutes but one thing that was miles better this year was all the videos they showed beforehand like the Steve Johnston bike setup, Chris Holder body protection, Chris Harris drag race, making the trophy etc.

I saw the trophy making bit, but when were the others shown?!

Edited by Matt Davis

as i was walking round inside the stadium before the meeting i saw ( but couldn't hear ) the chris holder bit and saw the drag race

with chris harris,didn't see the johnno bit though.

Miserable sod. :rofl:

Aye... you got me. :wink:

he did what he had to do from the graveyard gate and it very nearly worked.

That indeed, I've also said elsewhere today. One fenced, two escaped. :wink:

Joking aside, he did have to take it wide, to make an even playing field, from that hideous grid one.

However, there's going wide to mix it up, and there's attempting the fairground 'wall of death' when there's actually two riders in between you and the fence.

If you watch it again, he doesn't just move wide... he runs it, and runs it, and runs it. Everone knows what's acceptable.. and what isn't, however, Greg Hancock has Nicki to thank, he wasn't performing a pre-meditated pass of any riders, he was just saving his backside and found the gap and wound it on.

The best thing?? We're still debating it here.. never a dull moment, and all that.

Greg. :)

Edited by DukesGreg

Yes Nicki ran them very wide and if he'd ran them much wider they would have been in the air fence and he'd have been excluded, but he didn't and he wasn't, he left just enough room and that's racing. He knew exactly what he needed to do. The guys on the outside do have the option to knock it back and cut back or keep going and they kept going, and fair play to Greg it paid off.

impartial and rob, i appreciate your answers but due to work i didnt have time to check the draw on friday and didnt see the pre meeting screening. if they had pot the names up at the start of proceedings then i and possibly others would have been more aware.

im not saying its IMGs fault i made mistakes but a visual as well as verbal may have helped

You dont have to know the draw to fill in the programme.

The programme shows each heat with their helmet colours, therefore Jason Crump in heat 1 wearing yellow is at #4, Antonio Lindback in heat 4 wearing yellow is at #13 and appears again in heat 5 in red.

S I M P L E S !

If you are writing on black paper, you have 2 options.

Ask to borrow a programme .... or .....

#1 always goes in the first heat of each round, therefore heats 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17. .... This is repeated for riders in heat 1.

#5 will appear in heat 2 and again in heat 5 while #6 appears again in heat 6, #7 in heat 7 and #8 in heat 8

This is repeated again in the next two heats (3 .... riders 9-12 ...and 4 ... riders 13-16) so as heat 5 starts, you will know who is in what draw number

Edited by T.N.T.

some of us had a little difficulty filling in the programmws with riders at the start.this was done to too reasons.

1 we didnt know the draw and

2 as announcer was reading out the riders at start of heats 1-4 he didnt do them in 1,2,3,4 order and with the noise we misheard a couple hence scribbling out in programme.

could they not have used the large screens and shown the riding positions as per the draw. this would have helped immensely

When I bought me programme on Saturday morning they gave me a list with the draw on it, as well as some weird earpiece thingy if I was sad enough to want to listen to the Commentary rather than rely on my eyesight. I still haven't worked out how to get it out of the bag yet. :unsure:

The trophy one was the last one I think so you must of missed the others before that, even though I'm a speedway die hard they were interesting.

Presentation is good on the whole BUT......could we have a fanfare for the start of each heat? I think this would add to the gladitorial atmosphere of the GP. Something like William Tell as the tapes are about to rise (works well at Lakeside)

Apart from the obligatory embarrassing d-list singing act, there was hardly anyhting other than the Speedway. Why not something interesting like trick riders etc etc?

just shows how peoples opinions differ, i go home and tell everyone that the WHOLE show is brilliant even WITHOUT the speedway!!!!!

ps william tell is so 70s speedway fare

I agree with The Saint. William Tell overture and Fanfare for the Common Man have luckily been consigned to the dustbin of musical history at most tracks.

I thought on the whole the music was far better than what we have had to put up with the past few years. The presentation was very good, although I think this was helped by having large screens above each section in the lower seating area.

some of us had a little difficulty filling in the programmws with riders at the start.this was done to too reasons.

1 we didnt know the draw and

2 as announcer was reading out the riders at start of heats 1-4 he didnt do them in 1,2,3,4 order and with the noise we misheard a couple hence scribbling out in programme.

could they not have used the large screens and shown the riding positions as per the draw. this would have helped immensely

when you buy your programme they usually give you an official draw sheet that shows you the riding order.

just shows how peoples opinions differ, i go home and tell everyone that the WHOLE show is brilliant even WITHOUT the speedway!!!!!

ps william tell is so 70s speedway fare

that's why i love it! :wink:

Read through this thread with a great deal of interest & I can see all the points of view. If I can put my two pennorth in. I had a thoroughly enyoyable day. Travelled up by car with my stepson & his Dad :blink: & arrived about mid day & had a nice lunch in Prezzo with Scott Nicholls on the next table who was good enough to have a chat.

Had a great time catching up with friends old & new which is always one of the joys of Cardiff. As for the speedway:-

Stacey Soloman :nono:

Charlie Webster in Fanzone :party:

Announcer, excellent

Presenter, thought that was very odd, he was a nobody, knew nothing about speedway & was dressed like a tramp, which I thought was a disgrace. Surely they could do better than that?

Pre meeting video screens were excellent.

Racing, average I thought, track wasn't great & the gate one scenario was ridiculous I thought. After however many years it is, surely they can do better than that by now?

Greg was a popular winner (as he always is) has there ever been a nicer guy in speedway? Well done to him.

Thought Salbutomol was unlucky in the final & whoever it was said Nicki was at fault has got it wrong. I'm no Nicki fan but I said before the race if anyone can make it off gate 1, he can, & to his credit, he nearly made it.

Brits were poor :shock: what happened to the Chris Harris from the latter half of last year, pleased for Tai, showed what he can do in heat 20 & think he may get a nomination next year if Harris doesn't get his act together.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable day & looking forward to 2012 for more of the same! Might do a bit more :drink: next time as it won't be my time to drive! :rofl:

You dont have to know the draw to fill in the programme.

The programme shows each heat with their helmet colours, therefore Jason Crump in heat 1 wearing yellow is at #4, Antonio Lindback in heat 4 wearing yellow is at #13 and appears again in heat 5 in red.

S I M P L E S !

If you are writing on black paper, you have 2 options.

Ask to borrow a programme .... or .....

#1 always goes in the first heat of each round, therefore heats 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17. .... This is repeated for riders in heat 1.

#5 will appear in heat 2 and again in heat 5 while #6 appears again in heat 6, #7 in heat 7 and #8 in heat 8

This is repeated again in the next two heats (3 .... riders 9-12 ...and 4 ... riders 13-16) so as heat 5 starts, you will know who is in what draw number

if you had read what i wrote, you wouldnt have written this.

i said at the start. due to noise i misheard the announcer and thought he said scotty was wearing white so put him at 3 in my program, hence all the scribbling out.

at some point you do need to know the draw to be able to fill in the rider order, so before you try to act all clever with your "SIMPLES" attitude read what people actually write.

and to the people who mentioned that they got given a leaflet with the draw, unfortunately we werent given this, which if we were would have helped immensely