British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fatface

Best Ever World Final Races

Just picking up on another thread inspired by Grachan's much appreciated clips. What's everyone's top 10 World Final races ever? Here's my faves which I've either seen in person or on video.

1 - 1981 - Knudsen v Penhall (sensational first turn and it just gets better and better)

2 - 1985 - Gundersen v Moran/King (Gundersen dynamite as he takes the team riding Yanks in one swoop in must-win race)

3 - 1976 - PC v Simmons (Collins in irresistable form as he outfoxes Simmo)

4 - 1981 - Olsen v Penhall (Olsen narrowly failing to cover every move as Penhall pips him on line)

5 - 1978 - Olsen v Mauger v Kennett (Mauger uncharacteristically slow as Olsen and Kennett creep up on him together, then something has to give)

6 - 1982 - Penhall v Carter (nearest thing to a fist fight on track)

7 - 1990 - Jonsson v Moran (not the run-off - Shooey counterpunches Per as they pass and re-pass)

8 - 1994 - Rickardson v Nielsen (run-off - Tony superb as he outrides the favourite in his homeland)

9 - 1972 - Olsen's first race (Defending champion goes all or nothing in his first ride in thrilling but over-enthusiastic chase)

10 - 1982 - Les Collins v Penhall (speedy Les defies crafty Penhall in hometown)

What about Per's last bend pass of Jimmy Nilsen in 1990. A classic Jonsson swoop, and you knew from that moment he was going to win it.

Maybe not classic races for quality, but in terms of significance/memorability:

Peter Collins hits a wet patch on the outside in 1975 after the fans had watered the track.

Not sure the exact year, but Hans Nielsen gates on Erik Gundersen, decides to take him out wide. Gundersen hangs on to take the lead and Kelly Moran cuts under Nielsen into second place.

Edited by Grachan

good list there Falcace...

struggle to get a list like that from the GPs though and there have been a lot of races...

What about Per's last bend pass of Jimmy Nilsen in 1990. A classic Jonsson swoop, and you knew from that moment he was going to win it.

That was a peach of a ride as well Grachan and I did consider it. I also remember Henka Gustafsson passing Sam Tesar on the last turn that year. It doesn't receive anywhere near the amount of praise as Wembley 81, but for pure racing it was as good, if not better.

Guest mart W

72 at Wembley remember Olsen, Mauger & 1 of the Ruskies can't remember which one though .

2 - 1985 - Gundersen v Moran/King (Gundersen dynamite as he takes the team riding Yanks in one swoop in must-win race)

This is one of the races I've recorded by the way.

Not sure the exact year, but Hans Nielsen gates on Erik Gundersen, decides to take him out wide. Gundersen hangs on to take the lead and Kelly Moran cuts under Nielsen into second place.

It was Gothenburg 1984 and that race pretty much won it for Erik and lost it for Hans

What a list of races, there have been so many classics over the years though, some of them not in high profile meetings.

One that is often talked about but doesn't have video footage is the Peter Collins v Anders Michanek clash during the Belle Vue v Reading KO Cup Final many moons ago, not sure if it was the decider, apparantly they passed each other on just about every turn..

One that is often talked about but doesn't have video footage is the Peter Collins v Anders Michanek clash during the Belle Vue v Reading KO Cup Final many moons ago, not sure if it was the decider, apparantly they passed each other on just about every turn..

It most certainly was a decider, and probably the best race ever seen at Hyde Road. The Aces had already lost at Tilehurst and Reading really looked to have the KO cup in the bag but Belle Vue managed to turn it round and force a draw on aggregate. It was now late into the season and Reading had no home track (Tilehurst was due to be demolished)so it was decided to settle the tie in a one off match race. Collins with a broken left hand, which meant mounting the clutch lever on the throttle side and operating both with his right hand, would face Michanek, who due to having trouble with his own bike would come out on team mate Bernie Leigh's bike. 16 passes in all with Collins' shading it on the line.

I've only ever seen two World finals and that was on black-and-white TV, years ago, but one race in the '69 final will always be in my memory. I think it was the fourth heat and the riders where Ken MacKinlay, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and a Polish rider, who's name I can't remember. Moore, Briggs and MacKinley, along with Ove Fundin, must have been the oldest men riding that night, but what a race they turned on for the fans!

The Polish bloke had no hope, but the other three tore out of the gate and got involved in one of the best races I have ever seen, with MacKinley leading, Moore harrassing him and Briggs, on a sick bike, somehow sticking with them. You could have thrown a blanket over the three of them, they were so close. Moore somehow got passed MacKinley, but Mac came again on the last bend and Ronnie drifted out to stop him, when from the clouds, Briggs suddenly burst through the gap Moore had left and pinched the race!

I had never even seen Briggs ride before then, but after seeing that race, I can fully appreciate what a great rider he must have been. I bet no one ever thought they had a race won while Briggo was on the track with them! A great memory.

I've only ever seen two World finals and that was on black-and-white TV, years ago, but one race in the '69 final will always be in my memory. I think it was the fourth heat and the riders where Ken MacKinlay, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and a Polish rider, who's name I can't remember.

The Polish bloke was Andrzej Pogorselski.

I was at the 1969 final too. I've just looked up my programme to see who the Polish rider was. I notice I have written by the side of the race, "Fantastic race. Ken led for 3 laps".

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Don't let Hammer read this thread else he will have proof that modern speedway is rubbish !!

On the analytical side, why is it that there seem to be so many good races from back then? Is it because as time goes on our memories make them better ?

I have to say watching some of Grachan's (much appreciated) clips that there seemed to be many good races that had me enthralled, yet in the modern GP series era I don't seem to recall being entertained in the same way as often as speedway fans seemed to have been back in the 70's & 80's.

On the analytical side, why is it that there seem to be so many good races from back then? Is it because as time goes on our memories make them better ?

I should point out, Sir Lunchy, that heat 4 was the only race I wrote "fantastic race" by the side. One out of twenty! Heats one and eight had the comment "won by miles". Perhaps, it's because we do remember the great races well and forget the rest.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I know the feeling well norbold. I went to the SA titles in December last year and there were 18 very ordinary heats. There were also two absolute belters !! When I wrote a report for my various internet haunts I was sorely stretched trying to find 18 different ways of saying "that heat was boring".

However that meeting will long live in my memory for the two outstanding heats. The mind works in strange ways doesn't it ?

Norbold, I also remember it 'cos me favourite Haggisbasher of all time was in the race; Ken MacKinley. "Mac" was a hot chance for a place that night, with a third and two wins after three races, but he let it slip when he came in last in his his last two rides. I think he may have been the only person riding a JAP that night too.