British Speedway Forum

I haven't read all the posts on this topic so may well repeat what others have said. Personally I have no idea whether Eddie has cheated or not but feel it is worth waiting for the whole story before calling for him to be hung drawn and quartered.

It is possible that he has admitted using an illegal silencer without cheating. If, for instance he had re-welded a damaged pipe he would be guilty of using a modified silencer but not of changing it to enhance performance. Until it is properly inspected we can't know.

It seems to me very likely that the sound the bikes make would have changed from the start of the year as riders have learned how to set bikes up better to work with the new silencer. A couple of teeth on the back sprocket alone can make a bike sound completely different.

It suprises me that some Coventry fans are so quick to call for his head without the facts being known. This is the lad who put his entire season and wages at risk out of loyalty to your club, I would have thought he at least deserved a few days grace while the investigation takes place.

Not sure every Bees have turned there back on him,just yet.Although it is perfectly understandable that many feel bitterly let down by him.There was alot of Bees fans who went to Lakeside on Saturday,and spent a lot of money to support the team,and this event has been a huge kick in the teeth for all those of us who travelled down.

However as you rightly point out,Eddie was incredibly loyal to our club in the closed season,when he could have easily jumped ship,and I personally feel we owe some degree of loyalty to him now.

He must think we were all born yesterday. So the mechanic is being used as the fall guy is he..He didn't know my arse! :rolleyes:

I assume Kennett will get fined, but that and a 7 day ban just isn't enough and I hope further punishment is to follow. I don't have any reason to think he isn't telling the truth but if he is, he has to take responsibility for what his team do. Other riders could easily cheat, apologise and say you had no clue, say you're sacking the member of your pit crew and back to normal in 7 days. That will solve nothing if it's true what riders are saying that he isn't the only 1.

I've no problem with Eddie and it may be that he's one of many, and just the unlucky one who's been caught but he still needs to be made an example of.

Edited by tigerblues

He must think we were all born yesterday. So the mechanic is being used as the fall guy is he..He didn't know my arse! :rolleyes:

Think we could have predicted that was what he would say,Agree with your thoughts entirely :rolleyes:

PS

Wonder who told the" mechanic" this piece of advice another "mechanic" whose rider doesn't know he is riding with a dodgy silencer :rolleyes:

Edited by Fromafar

The good old fashioned arse kicking pyramid at play;

Club blames and distances self from rider.

Rider blames and fires mechanic.

What did the mechanic have to gain from this? Is he on points money? Will he be named and shamed and banned from attending any speedway track in the UK as I believe he should be.

Regardless of the outcome here, in the future rules need to be in place so both club and rider are fully 100% responsible for legal equipment and face serious consequences (like a deduction of all league points and a ban). Note I am saying this for the FUTURE, whatever the rules state for the present should be applied here.

If I was the mechanic and if what Kennett says is false I would be on the phone to BSPA to put the record straight and would be taking legal advice also.

I expect we will be hearing his side of things before long.

The good old fashioned arse kicking pyramid at play;

What did the mechanic have to gain from this? Is he on points money? Will he be named and shamed and banned from attending any speedway track in the UK as I believe he should be.

Out of interest, what would that achieve?

The mechanic has lost his job. I think that's enough punishment, don't you? Especially in the current climate. I would imagine the mechanic will have signed an affadavit taking responsibility and unless anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd advise you to watch what you say very carefully.

Fair enough. Was it really all down to the mechanic in the tool shed with a long drill bit? I guess we'll never know, but personally, I think the best course of action would be to allow the authorities to impose whatever sanctions they deem appropriate, and then when he's paid the price, let him go racing again.

I doubt very much whether Mr Kennett would be foolish enough to try a similar stunt again.

Agreed we will never know, however I think we all thought that is what the excuse would be, I do think he needs at the very least a months (or possibly more) worldwide ban to ensure he is not tempted nor any other riders are tempted, plus it hits him in the pocket, after all what line is his Polish team going to take? Performance enhancing is actually taken very seriously in other sports and the athlete is held responsible whether he claims his drink was spiked etc so perhaps the SCB will go down this route.

So all riders can say honest Guv wasn't me , it was him with the spanner :mad:

Pretty much, that seems to be the case, a rather slap dash attitude however thats also indicative of the sport we are in.

I guess you either believe he is telling the truth and that he didn't know, or you are in the camp that believe he is lying and has merely placed the problem on the head of a mechanic.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and will continue to watch and support ed - maybe for the bees who knows.

I know a lot of others are being very vocal and calling for his head, but I think that is way too premature.

The mechanic has lost his job. I think that's enough punishment, don't you? Especially in the current climate. I would imagine the mechanic will have signed an affadavit taking responsibility and unless anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd advise you to watch what you say very carefully.

Jeez man, you are way to defensive of all thing's Bees. The responsibility is with the rider. End of.

I can't believe that any mechanic would make any adjustments on a riders machinery without approval. Right or wrong I believe Kennett will remain a Bees rider & Kennett will only be dealt a fine and only the 7 day ban will come of it. It's very difficult to prove that Kennett knew but I'd find it amazing that he didn't.

Who is this post to?

Mechanic to take the blame - shock!!

Sorry Ed you are responsible for your equipment.

Agree,Kennetts bikes are his responsibility and nobody elses.