British Speedway Forum

Do you know what? I'm perfectly happy to accept that.

It could well be that Edward was genuinely unaware that his machinery was illegal. However it's a fact that his machinery is his responsibility and no one else's, and as such he deserves whatever reasonable sanctions the authorities impose on him.

But surely that's as far as it can go. I know many are calling for him to be sacked and all the rest but to my mind there has to be some grace here. His version of events should be accepted as the truth, and once he's done the time he should be allowed to get back on with it. If at some point in the future he's caught cheating again, then that's a different thing altogether, but I do tend to think that this merciless "burn him, burn him" attitude over one misdemeanor that he could feasibly have been unaware of is a bit harsh.

That should win the best post on this thread by far! Absolutley spot on very eloquently put

Seeing as bikes are very sensitive beasts and that tyre pressures, clutch and carberettor settings, gearings, etc are adjusted very regularly, surely the rider himself would have been aware of suddenly having more power?

Looking at race times from Saturday, I doubt he would notice much difference apart from the fact that he was possibly getting to the first corner much quicker.

Being at the meeting he wasn't notably any faster than the other riders, but he popped out the gate for four of his five wins. Didn't make the start in heat 15, but passed Richardson bends 3/4 lap 1.

Some of the Coventry fans on here have been a disgrace. After he waited all winter to wait and see rather than sign elsewhere, to then have plonkers on here calling him all sorts must make him question his loyalty.

Yes he's been naive, but if he has entrusted his mechanics to deal with his machineary and they have tampered with it then he would have had no way of knowing on the bike.

Shouldn't this mechanic get named & shamed so the World can be sure he doesn't get employed elsewhere?????????

Shouldn't this mechanic get named & shamed so the World can be sure he doesn't get employed elsewhere?????????

It shouldn't be to hard to work out. He has Nicholls ex mechanic working for him and some other fella on occasions along with his dad. Think Craig Boyce does his engines or did?

if you look at the picture with EK leading PS, the lean angle of the bikes are pretty much the same, but EK's silencer looks shorter???

....or is my 20-20 vision playing up a bit....

Silencers can be moved forward or back, this is another trick to increase grip.

Not only that I think they are both using different types of silencer. One is a king the other a dep.

Could having more than one manufacturer have a detrimental effect. With the old type everyone was using a king, although there was a jaws version available. Now there are 4 types all different.

Bring back the old one I say, we didn't have any of these silly problems then...just makesure they are re packed every 5 seasons?

Are you secretly a tabloid journalist?

The engines are a riders responsability so he should carry the can for this. He should at least get a 28 day ban as a riders who has a clash of fixtures and can't get out of it gets a 28 day ban and that is not cheating.

Being at the meeting he wasn't notably any faster than the other riders, but he popped out the gate for four of his five wins. Didn't make the start in heat 15, but passed Richardson bends 3/4 lap 1.

Some of the Coventry fans on here have been a disgrace. After he waited all winter to wait and see rather than sign elsewhere, to then have plonkers on here calling him all sorts must make him question his loyalty.

Yes he's been naive, but if he has entrusted his mechanics to deal with his machineary and they have tampered with it then he would have had no way of knowing on the bike.

Fully agree, with what is known he is only guilty of trusting someone else.

Yes, no doubt. I would pat myself on the back that I had such an ace mechanic and pay him a bonus.

I suspect a severance one is coming his way. :wink:

Eddie says that he didn't know of the tampering, which could be true.But how many riders are actually mechanically minded to know all the ins and outs of a speedway bike? Sure that some must just ride the bike and have no idea on what does what.... :blink:

If i loaned my car to someone and they got stopped for a bald tyre or faulty light, who would be fined/punished?

Eddie says that he didn't know of the tampering, which could be true.But how many riders are actually mechanically minded to know all the ins and outs of a speedway bike? Sure that some must just ride the bike and have no idea on what does what.... :blink:

If i loaned my car to someone and they got stopped for a bald tyre or faulty light, who would be fined/punished?

It is the responsibilty of the driver of the vehicle at that time to have checked that the vehicle is in order.

It's different if you are driving a vehicle for an employer ( ie delivery man) as you then have different criteria.

It is the responsibilty of the driver of the vehicle at that time to have checked that the vehicle is in order.

So in this case, the "driver" of the "vehicle" is Kennett, so he should be punished?

So now what about Nick Morris, he used the bike in heat 12, does that mean he is punished too? :shock:

You also hear of a club supplying a rider with a bike, what would have happened in this case then? Club or rider be at fault? Could just be a case of a rider saying that all his equipment is loaned and not theirs........

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

Not much support for Kennett from his Team GB team mate Lewis Bridger!

If people believe kennetts story then pigs can fly that's all I'm saying haha #flyingpigsinthesky

Ok it seems from the SCB report, Coventry's statement and also Eddie's own statement that he did in fact have an illegal silencer, so let's spare a thought for the other riders whom he was riding against for the loss of earnings they have suffered due to the actions of the Kennett entourage. It would appear on twitter that several riders are not happy, and expect quite a severe punishment in the hope it will deter others, and several of them have brought up the "Leon Madsen" episode last year saying his punishment was not enough.

As I said before, this has been rumbling since the start of the season TBH, but the practicalities of actually proving wrong doing is not straight forward as just looking at the silencer, which we have now come to see!!!

What to do now, who knows, as it is so hard to police this sort of thing, if at all.

Eddie, innocent or guilty has been caught and I really hope that this will act as a warning, should others have done the same thing.