British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Star

Mildenhall V Stoke

A bit rich coming from a team where a 3 point reserve scores paid 16! Seven rides Heeps days at reserve are numbered and from todays showing life at number 1 will be a different ball game. Good 2 point win and no doubt you will be in the play offs.

To be fair most NL teams have had a turn at that one, way back from when J Hart was at Bournemouth so it is unfair to single Mildenahall out and i'm sure any team who got the chance of such a rider would grab it with both hands. Good luck to the chap.

Surely Lambert is too good for the national league scoring a 21 point maximum.

At the end of the day he met the criteria at the beggining of the season. Really please for Simon how his season is turning out for him

Edited by TMW

At the end of the day he met the criteria at the beggining of the season. Really please for Simon how his season is turning out for him

Think this highlights that criteria based on a rider's average alone allows some riders to stay at this level for too long - it is supposed to be a development league so perhaps a maximum stay of 3-4 years should be introduced to encourage those riders to step up a level and free up a few places for some more riders to develop. I know that Cameron's inclusion in the NL was unpopular in certain quarters but I think you'll find that he will not linger any longer than necessary at this level as he has been brought up in a culture that promotes ambition and the courage and/or confidence to take on bigger challenges.

A bit rich coming from a team where a 3 point reserve scores paid 16! Seven rides Heeps days at reserve are numbered and from todays showing life at number 1 will be a different ball game. Good 2 point win and no doubt you will be in the play offs.

Dont know if you were there yesterday or not, but Heeps ride to block Atkin was excellent, especially as he's only 15! Lambert rode really well yesterday also.

Think this highlights that criteria based on a rider's average alone allows some riders to stay at this level for too long - it is supposed to be a development league so perhaps a maximum stay of 3-4 years should be introduced to encourage those riders to step up a level and free up a few places for some more riders to develop. I know that Cameron's inclusion in the NL was unpopular in certain quarters but I think you'll find that he will not linger any longer than necessary at this level as he has been brought up in a culture that promotes ambition and the courage and/or confidence to take on bigger challenges.

this hightlights the fact that the lads can struggle in the PL and a drop down to NL occasionally can do them the world of good. Las year he didn't start in the NL as I believe his avearge was too high but then his average started to drop(struggle) and became eligable and went to the YS and this as you quite rightly say did it's job by giving his confidence a boost(he said this himself in various publications) and look how well he is doing this year. Then instead of saying i'm off now I'm too good for the NL he is giving the NL something back if you want to knock that committment to the league then go ahead

Dont know if you were there yesterday or not, but Heeps ride to block Atkin was excellent, especially as he's only 15! Lambert rode really well yesterday also.

Have to agree with you Cameron rode superbly to keep Tony at bay and most Stoke supporters were applauding the youngster. As for Simon he was absolutely awesome for us.

I think the NL rules over rider eligibility do a pretty good job in attempting to strike a balance that is required by all the different categories of rider who compete in it. That said, any method that is implemented is never going to be ideal for absolutely everyone.

I think the flaws in any sort of time restriction in terms of the number of seasons a rider be permitted to compete in the third tier are immediately obvious, given the number of riders it would force out of the sport.

The third tier does have a fair record of producing riders that go on to compete at the higher levels of the sport. I think I'm right in saying that every member of this season's GB World Cup squad had ridden in the third tier.

When you get these Aussies that come over and start off at reserve in the NL, they stand out because they appear to be a lot more promising than some of the British youngsters (no disrespect intended). They have a more fearless attitude to racing, you dont hear them saying, 'I dont like this track' or 'I don't like riding in these conditions.'

They dont have a league structure over there, but they do have lots of tracks that help to develop the talent of young riders.

We have very few clubs who run structured training schools and second half events to develop that talent. Rye House are an example of a club that have such a structure, largely thanks to the fact that the promoter owns the stadium. As a result, they have gone out and recruited local youngsters and developed their Speedway abilities and produced a large number of riders who have done well in the third tier and gone on to higher levels of the sport. As a result, their PL sides are made up mostly of riders who have come through the third tier, and they use very few foreign imports, compared to other PL clubs.

Edited by neil3065

I think the NL rules over rider eligibility do a pretty good job in attempting to strike a balance that is required by all the different categories of rider who compete in it. That said, any method that is implemented is never going to be ideal for absolutely everyone.

I think the flaws in any sort of time restriction in terms of the number of seasons a rider be permitted to compete in the third tier are immediately obvious, given the number of riders it would force out of the sport.

The third tier does have a fair record of producing riders that go on to compete at the higher levels of the sport. I think I'm right in saying that every member of this season's GB World Cup squad had ridden in the third tier.

When you get these Aussies that come over and start off at reserve in the NL, they stand out because they appear to be a lot more promising than some of the British youngsters (no disrespect intended). They have a more fearless attitude to racing, you dont hear them saying, 'I dont like this track' or 'I don't like riding in these conditions.'

They dont have a league structure over there, but they do have lots of tracks that help to develop the talent of young riders.

We have very few clubs who run structured training schools and second half events to develop that talent. Rye House are an example of a club that have such a structure. As a result, they have gone out and recruited local youngsters and developed their Speedway abilities and produced a large number of riders who have done well in the third tier and gone on to higher levels of the sport. As a result, their PL sides are made up mostly of riders who have come through the third tier, and they use very few foreign imports, compared to other PL clubs.

Quality post :t: . I agree with every word of it.

Sorry but thats rubbish, Heeps is only 15 years old for gods sake, how old is Lambert? Nothing phases this super nice lad and if riding in the future at no1 he will still be beating all comers on a regular basis. Sorry mate its just sour grapes on your part and a tad jealous of a super talent.

Simon Lambert was awesome yesterday, the difference between a very comfortable less interesting win for Mildenhall rather than the very exciting and very interesting battle right up until the end, meeting we saw!

Simon Lambert met the criteria at the start of the season end off. Hes ambitious and doing everything he can to try and make a career out of speedway which is something many other young Brits can't claim!

If riding in the NL helps him move on to better things then the NL is doing something right and lesser riders racing against him will be dragged along by his pace!

Anyway the NL teams are struggling to get riders so if the authorities prevented more riders from competing then it'd be even more of a struggle!

Also Stoke just fresh out of the PL and a standalone club needing to keep up viable support levels cannot afford to have a weak team cause such a weak team would put the tracks very existance into doubt!

As for Heeps he qualifies through having recent British ancestry and like Lambert yesterday, take him away from the equation and the meeting would of been of a much lesser quality!

Those who say Heeps is taking the place of Brits should look more closely at the facts. He replaced Nick Laurence who in all honesty, while being a committed trier and nice guy to boot will never make the grade, who Mildenhall gave a good few meetings for him to prove himself and his NL appearances since leaving Mildenhall back this up. The other rider who briefly appeared before Heeps came along was Adam Portwood who is not NL standard yet as his recent dropping by Dudley prove so keeping him in the team struggling miles of the pace at the back would be counter productive both for him and the club!

Mildenhall fans have nowt to moan about cause things at West Row are pretty good at the moment, with a very capable promotion being assisted by good staff, with a decent team and great crowd figures I didn't think I'd see there for NL racing providing a good atmosphere!

Edited by 25yearfan

Sorry but thats rubbish, Heeps is only 15 years old for gods sake, how old is Lambert? Nothing phases this super nice lad and if riding in the future at no1 he will still be beating all comers on a regular basis. Sorry mate its just sour grapes on your part and a tad jealous of a super talent.

All i will say is im pleased that you support the young aussie Cameron because your viteral slagging off of

Jerran Hart is appaling to say the very least, i wonder if you have approached him and told him

face to face or you hide behind your key board like a faceless child.

Junior

Simon Lambert was awesome yesterday, the difference between a very comfortable less interesting win for Mildenhall than the very exciting and very interesting battle right up until the end, meeting we saw!

Simon Lambert met the criteria at the start of the season end off. Hes ambitious and doing everything he can to try and make a career out of speedway which is something many other young Brits can't claim!

If riding in the NL helps him move on to better things then the NL is doing something right and lesser riders racing against him will be dragged along by his pace!

Anyway the NL teams are struggling to get riders so if the authorities prevented more riders from competing then it'd be even more of a struggle!

Also Stoke just fresh out of the PL and a standalone club needing to keep up viable support levels cannot afford to have a weak team cause such a weak team would put the tracks very existance into doubt!

As for Heeps he qualifies through having recent British ancestry and like Lambert yesterday, take him away from the equation and the meeting would of been of a much lesser quality!

Those who say Heeps is taking the place of Brits should look more closely at the facts. He replaced Nick Laurence who in all honesty, while being a committed tier and nice guy to boot will never make the grade, who Mildenhall gave a good few meetings for him to prove himself and his NL appearances since leaving Mildenhall back this up. The other rider who briefly appeared before Heeps came along was Adam Portwood who is not NL standard yet as his recent dropping by Dudley prove so keeping him in he team struggling miles of the pace at the back would be counter productive both for him and the club!

Mildenhall fans have nowt to moan about cause things at West Row are pretty good at the moment, with a very capable promotion being assisted by good staff, with a decent team and great crowd figures I didn't think I'd see there for NL racing providing a good atmosphere!

Yes good post and I agree basically with most of what you say. Its great at Mildenhall these days and seeing Lee and Jolly always there geeing up the riders make Witches fans jealous when Chris Louis attends meetings only when he feels like it just like at Mildenhall.

Simon Lambert was awesome yesterday, the difference between a very comfortable less interesting win for Mildenhall rather than the very exciting and very interesting battle right up until the end, meeting we saw!

Those who say Heeps is taking the place of Brits should look more closely at the facts. He replaced Nick Laurence who in all honesty, while being a committed trier and nice guy to boot will never make the grade, who Mildenhall gave a good few meetings for him to prove himself and his NL appearances since leaving Mildenhall back this up. The other rider who briefly appeared before Heeps came along was Adam Portwood who is not NL standard yet as his recent dropping by Dudley prove so keeping him in the team struggling miles of the pace at the back would be counter productive both for him and the club!

Thanks you've written my comments for me ! Everything I was going to put you have already said, so the only thing I can add, is that Simon Lambert has now joined Adam Roynon as the best visiting rider to West Row this season, and someone who should be getting more mentions but isnt, is track man Bob Ellis, the track has produced so many different lines this season, it really was a delight to see Lambert riding those wide lines yesterday almost Topinkarish !

Great post 25yearfan, sums it up perfectly. Seems like its just one dissenting voice regarding Lambert in the NL, as you say he fitted the criteria at the start of the season and thats all that matters. Heeps certainly seems like the real deal and I'm sure he'll take the move to number one in his stride, as well as the move up to the PL next year. Maybe aljack should be thanking Chris Louis for bringing the lad over rather than annuiting with the quite ridiculous and unwarranted slagging off.

Indeed, Mildenhall were really struggling to find a rider good enough to fill the number seven berth and score any sort of points before Heeps' arrival. There was Nick Laurence and before him Danny Stoneman (who to be fair seems to be scoring a few more points for Dudley), then briefly, Adam Portwood.

This suggests that there arent exactly loads of British youngsters with genuine potential waiting on reserve berths in the NL, which is why, IMO, more needs to be done to improve the quality and frequency of training schools.

Mildenhall are making the effort to host training schools and are putting on second half racing again this season, something that has been problematic at West Row in the past.

To that end, I'm sure Mildenhall are hoping to recruit local youngsters to the sport and have some very experienced figures within the promotion to help with their progression.

Hopefully, this'll lead to an increased choice of local youngsters for the Fen Tigers in the NL. Hopefully they'll take a leaf out of the Aussie book by instilling a bit more of a fearless attitude into youngsters, so that they can turn up and get on with riding any track they come across.

Edited by neil3065

For sure we'd all love to see more Britsh riders coming through and in the case of Mildenhall a return to the glory days of the 1970's when the team was nearly entirely made up ofrecruits from their successful training school!

Until then standalone clubs like Mildenhall and Stoke can't afford to many stragglers in their respective teams, so they will enevitably have to utilise that great speedway rider producing conveyor belt called Australia!

Edited by 25yearfan