British Speedway Forum
dlprezes

Wallace

born in Southampton, he made his debut in 1962 as an 18-year-old for Swindon. Rode for Southampton in 1963 and retired the following year.

1968 Racers record: M 20 R 78 Pts 103 BP 18 TP 121 CMA 6.21

For more recent news:

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=39739

I think he may also have rode on the odd occasion for Newport in 1964-perhaps in the Southern League before the Provincial League season started. There is a picture of him with the Newport team on page 192 of the Peter Morrish book`British Speedway Leagues 1946-64`. Hope this helps

I think he may also have rode on the odd occasion for Newport in 1964-perhaps in the Southern League before the Provincial League season started. There is a picture of him with the Newport team on page 192 of the Peter Morrish book`British Speedway Leagues 1946-64`. Hope this helps

I can confirm that he rode No.2 in the first ever Newport opening mtg versus Cradley on April 17th 1964, (S'thn Lge match.)

Stuart is still about. He has attended the World Speedway Rider's Association (formerly Veteran's Association) annual Southern Lunch in Bournemouth for the past couple of years.

I can confirm that he rode No.2 in the first ever Newport opening mtg versus Cradley on April 17th 1964, (S'thn Lge match.)

Racking my braincell to recall that, but I knew I'd seen him at Somerton Park sometime - thanks, Britmet.

Incidentally when I saw the title of the thread my first thought was that he and Gromit had split up.

Does anyone know the scorers in the Newport opening meeting in 1964 against CH-also did Stuart Wallace ever ride for the Wasps again?

Does anyone know the scorers in the Newport opening meeting in 1964 against CH-also did Stuart Wallace ever ride for the Wasps again?

Sorry, but my prog is unmarked, being a later re-acquisition.

I understand why there's a query, - Wallace isn't listed in the season's summary of Newport PL scorers (nor any other team.)

In the half-hearted Metropolitan Lge scorers he has no entry with 'NewPool' but a zero with Weymouth. Sthn Lge scorers aren't given in the history of 1964.

Burning question then is, "Did he indeed partake in that first SL meeting? - or was he scratched from the printed prog?"

I wasn't present, I was on shift, but I sent the wife-to-be along to her first ever 'away' match, complete with green-&-white rosette and rattle. Can she remember if he rode? She can't even remember going ! .

Some things make impressions and stay in our minds forever, - For others, ....... . (p.s. Yes, she's still here, bless her. No, she hasn't been to speedway for many years.)

pps. Stuart Wallace is photographed in that first programme, along with Vandenberg & Golden. What a juxtapose.

OK, here goes....

Newport 38 (Alby Golden 11, Dick Bradley 11, Peter Vandenberg 9, Geoff Penniket 5, Jon Erskine 1, Stuart Wallace 1, John Hammond 0)

Cradley Heath 40 (Alan Totney 9, Eric Hockaday 8, Ivor Brown 8, John Hart 7, Frank Holmes 5, Harry Bastable 3, Glyn Chandler 0)

I stood on the 'Railway End', third bend, with my brother and my Dad, totally gobsmacked! The rest, as they say, is history....!

OK, here goes....

Newport 38 (Alby Golden 11, Dick Bradley 11, Peter Vandenberg 9, Geoff Penniket 5, Jon Erskine 1, Stuart Wallace 1, John Hammond 0)

Cradley Heath 40 (Alan Totney 9, Eric Hockaday 8, Ivor Brown 8, John Hart 7, Frank Holmes 5, Harry Bastable 3, Glyn Chandler 0)

I stood on the 'Railway End', third bend, with my brother and my Dad, totally gobsmacked! The rest, as they say, is history....!

So why are you called "2ndBender" ?

A Heathens' win, - but of course. Much better than present day performances.