British Speedway Forum

My bruv, big Robins fan, lives in Adelaide, and was at The Oz Championships at Gillman. Said he was very impressed with Tungate. The Suffolk Roos must be faves for the title I reckon.

• Like 1

It might seem a daft question but why do the Witches race on Thursday rather than say a Friday? I know when they were in the Elite they had a Saturday meeting against Swindon and got a very good crowd. Would Friday nights not improve that attendances?

It might seem a daft question but why do the Witches race on Thursday rather than say a Friday? I know when they were in the Elite they had a Saturday meeting against Swindon and got a very good crowd. Would Friday nights not improve that attendances?

I think any attempt to run on a Friday would certainly face some opposition from the cycle speedway at Lekeside!!!

Indeed I think the PL needs another Friday track, like it needs a hole in the head!!! A move to Friday night would mean running at least eight league and trophy fixtures on an off-night......not good for business.

Anyway for most Witches fans, Thursday night is speedway night which was one of the major attractions of joining the PL.

Taken from Lovespeedway.com:

Come and meet the Witches . . . big night out

Monday, January 23, 2012

3:29 PM

WITH just over 50 days before the start of the new Premier League season, Ipswich Speedway will be holding a ‘Meet The Riders’ event on Wednesday, March 14, at Kesgrave Social Club (start time 7:30pm).

All of the Ipswich ‘Sackers’ Witches will be present along with the management team of Pete Simmons and Chris Louis. This will be a great opportunity for fans to meet the new additions to the team and catch up with some familiar faces from last year.

There will also be a buffet and prize draw. Tickets cost £3 and are available at the Kesgrave Social Club, online via our team website: www.ipswichwitches.co or by post to 9 The Bretts, Kesgrave, Ipswich, IP5 2YY. Please make all cheques payable to ‘Ipswich Speedway Supporters Club’ and enclose an SAE. All admission tickets will also go into a draw for two adult tickets for the Witches first meeting on Thursday 17th March.

Track staff signing-on night will take place on Tuesday 14th February at Kesgrave Social Club, also at 7:30pm. Can all staff that require an SCB licence please bring a passport size photo.

And a final reminder is that the Ipswich Supporters Club AGM takes place tomorrow (Tuesday 24th January) at the Selkirk Inn pub, 24 Selkirk Rd, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 3HX. This will be followed by a question and answer session with the promotion and management team. The meeting is open to anyone but only Supporters Club members can vote during the AGM.

I wouldn't worry about any change of race night. The way the football team are going just now you could see numerous folks migrating from Portman Road. After all, you really do have a winning team this time. Looking forward to 15th March.

Historically, the Witches have always raced at home on a Thursday, so it's well entrenched. There are other possible limitations, e.g. the tenancy agreement and District Council impositions which may have an impact? Saturdays are very difficult, because during the summer, many of them are taken up by Spedeworth (the Landlords) for stock car racing. I suppose in the EL, the coming of the GP meant that Thursdays were always the more practical proposition - perfectly placed between Sweden and the weekend. Ultimately, the Witches could find their way back into the EL, so I'm sure Thursdays will remain speedway night at Foxhall.

Edited by Lovey

At last...back online. I didn't think I would miss the forum, but having to wait a month to get the phone on, and the

internet (Thanks Sky), I can honestly say I missed this place.

We finally completed our move back home from Northern Ireland, what a huge difference we've found. Really

genuine and friendly folks, helpful and pleasant to deal with.... its good to be home.

Now its a serious case of chomping at the bit, waiting to finally see my beloved Witches race in the flesh again,

after an absence of 8 years..... and also the chance to finally meet everyone from here, who have been so

supportive during our tough time across the Irish sea.

Thanks to you all (you know who you are), and roll on the start of the season.

Got a house just 10 minutes away from the Stadium, so within easy reach.

Here's to a brilliant season for the Witches and all you fantastic Witches fans.

Is it that difficult to arrange the odd Saturday here and there? We know how vital the Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday crowds are to the club and we've seen in the past that a Saturday meeting matches those attendances.

The crowd For a Saturday night meeting against Swindon a few seasons ago was massive.

Surely even one bumper Saturday meeting a year to go with the bank holidays would swell the coffers and be a bonus to the club?

Nice piece from Mike Bacon on the EADT website:

http://www.lovespeed...xhall_1_1186394

And Tungate has one last boost for the Witches public.

While in England last year, he took to the track at many Elite and Premier League circuits, but knows which one he preferred most.

“I’m not just saying this, but I seriously did enjoy the Ipswich track more than any that I rode while I was here,” Tungate added

:approve:

We also know Dakota North loves the place too so hopefully we'll be really strong at Foxhall and make the place a fortress. It would be nice to go through the season unbeaten at home for once and i genuinely thought we would do that last season. Don't think anyone will relish coming to Foxhall this season and i can't wait to get going and see this team in action.

My hopes are high for a successful season.

Is it that difficult to arrange the odd Saturday here and there? We know how vital the Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday crowds are to the club and we've seen in the past that a Saturday meeting matches those attendances.

The crowd For a Saturday night meeting against Swindon a few seasons ago was massive.

Surely even one bumper Saturday meeting a year to go with the bank holidays would swell the coffers and be a bonus to the club?

One of the bizarre restrictions of the stadium usage is that there can't be more than two motorsports events in any 8 day period - so if the Witches raced on a Saturday, and the Stock Cars were also scheduled to race on the Sunday, then one of the Thursdays either side would be ruled out - and maybe both if Spedeworth had another meeting scheduled. Possible you would think, but it would definitely take a bit of working out. Also of course, the PL has a few weekend clubs, and the Witches will already be arranging their fixtures around other commitments, e.g. Tresarrieu, plus I'm sure the young Aussies will be called away for some racing on the continent.

Edited by Lovey

Thanks for the feedback. I was just interested in the reasons behind Thursday night racing and not making a suggestion of an alternative night. More of a question of why Thursday and how it came about rather than say a Friday night. Some people on here really do jump to the wrong reasons and Mr Snackette's answer did even deal with the question just gave an opinion about Friday night teams. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

........ and Mr Snackette's answer did even deal with the question just gave an opinion about Friday night teams. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

So I "did even deal with the question"!!!! Whatever that means???!!

Before dabbling in hyperbole, perhaps in future, a cursory glance over your copy may help alleviate a grammatical faux pas!!!!

Edited by Mr Snackette

Thanks alot nick for that info I will have to find it now lol. Anyway look forward to some speedway chat at the meeting its been a long winter, roll on March.

Did you go? anything exciting mentioned?

Hey shrimpfan that's even better. Believe it or not its for my fathers funeral. Speedway was the biggest love in his life (apart from mum) and he wanted this played. Thank you very much..

No probs. Glad to be of help!

Sorry to hear of your loss,