British Speedway Forum

Because they are all major trophies in a season, that is how I compare them, but I was asking you the question!

Ok my reply to that is those 2 competitions are major and are worth winning.

I am surprised there has been no reaction from Aljack following the radio suffolk preview this morning.

Chris admitted that a lack of top end strength has backfired this year and that the League campaign will be viewed as disappointing if the play offs are not achieved.

I am surprised there has been no reaction from Aljack following the radio suffolk preview this morning.

Chris admitted that a lack of top end strength has backfired this year and that the League campaign will be viewed as disappointing if the play offs are not achieved.

Difficult one for him/her/it there.

If he agrees with Chris.........

• Like 1

Yep fair play to Chris Louis for admitting he may well have built the team wrong although to be honest, not many thought he had at the start of the season with the majority again tipping Ipswich for title honours.

The injuries to Poole and Risager can't be used as an excuse because others have suffered more than us and still guaranteed a play off place. Lanham quickly replaced one of them anyway which was seen as like for like for either rider at the very least.

Which ever way you look at it, that team SHOULD have been good enough for a top 6 place and if that isn't achieved, then they have collectively let the promotion and the fans down regardless of what happens in the cups.

On paper, that line up should have been a shoe in for a play off place.

From Louis' comments, it looks like the team will be built differently next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Barker or similar brought in early or maybe a Klindt or Stead dropping down and doubling up, to lead from the front and then build from there.

We've missed a dominant number 1 and Foxhall for what seems like an eternity now and I'd like to see that change.

Of course as ever, finance will obviously dictate whether that can be achieved.

• Like 1

I agree - only in hindsight does the plan look wrong.

What is important is that it shows there isnt a stubborn/blinkered view to set up in only one way.

Both top end strength or a balanced team can work. Its about the right blend and scope to improve.

If it was easy then everyone would win the league and we all know that cant happen!

We didn't have the starting No.1 with a average of 8.5-9pts but we certainly had the riders who we could of expected to achieve that, certainly Doolan was one with Poole and Risager being the next two likely candidates to push for that. Obviously we know what happened to Taylor and Morten at the first meeting but like has been said Lanham was brough in quite soon after and he also should of been pushing for a 8+ average. But for whatever reason Leigh and Kevin didn't seem to push on, Leigh said in the press he didn't want to be at No.1 which didn't help as it just seemed like him and Kevin were both trying to drop their averages to get away from being at No.1 so you had our two riders that should of become out "genuine heatleaders" both seemingly trying to get away from it - this is what has cost us this season.

We started with a team that was built in depth but had clear potential to soon have one or two riders over a 8pt average and still retain that strength in depth - that's pretty much the holy grail for speedway team building - but we were let down by Doolan and then Lanham.

Lanham has recently shown that as a No.1 he CAN cope with it and CAN excell at it. I have heard that he is on Louis tuned engines since his two Sean Wilson ones blew up at Leicester a little while back and if that;s true then it's been a revelation for Leigh, he seems a lot quicker, a lot more confident in his machinery and seems to be able to pick and choose where he wants to put his bike now. Whoever is doing his engines now should keep doing them, he looks a different rider from that he was riding for us after being brought in after Taylors and Morts injuries!

So at the risk of being "rose tinted" Chris is both right and wrong - he's right that having no out and out No.1 may of cost us in some meetings but he's wrong that it was down to the team built at the start of the season (if that makes sense) as we could - and should - of had those 8pt + riders in Doolan and then Lanham.

Based on current average, Klindt is 5.97 for EL, so this would convert to 9.95 PL.

EL to PL and PL to NL divide by 0.6. PL to EL multiply by 0.6. So, in theory, you can go up to 7.2 in EL for a 12.00 PL.

How about Miskowiak at 9.68 (EL 5.81)?

WOuld love to see klindt, now he would be a proper number 1. He was so far ahead the other week.

Thing is his average doesnt fit....... at the moment ;)

Based on current average, Klindt is 5.97 for EL, so this would convert to 9.95 PL.

EL to PL and PL to NL divide by 0.6. PL to EL multiply by 0.6. So, in theory, you can go up to 7.2 in EL for a 12.00 PL.

If he can get his EL average down to 5.25 he will convert to 8.75 in the PL, can that much drop off in time with what remains in this season?

second word could be off

It makes me laugh my head off :lol: that all and sundry are now agreeing with what I have been saying ALL season :party: Talk about after the horse has bolted oh!!! my aching sides :party:

It makes me laugh my head off :lol: that all and sundry are now agreeing with what I have been saying ALL season :party: Talk about after the horse has bolted oh!!! my aching sides :party:

But you werent saying it BEFORE the season - in fact ,as has been shown before, your pre seasons posts were rather glowing in their praise for the team assembled!

Nobody has agreed with what you've been saying all season, mainly because what you've been saying is we need a genuine out and out No.1 and 2, good scoring second strings and potent reserves - well, that's not rocket science is it? But because of how speedway teams are built then that doesn't happen, when asked who you would drop to accomidate your "genuine No.1 and 2" you wouldn't give an answer saying that it's not your job to!

So I'll follow your lead for next year and say that to win the league we need two riders over 8.5 points as heatleaders, we need 3 riders who average between 7-8.5 each for the second strings and a couple of 4-5 point riders at reserve, should do it. If the Witches promotion don't deliver than then they've clearly failed, they're not interested in the club, they are earning a fortune and putting out the cheapest team possible......right Aljack?

:icon_smile_clown:

But you werent saying it BEFORE the season - in fact ,as has been shown before, your pre seasons posts were rather glowing in their praise for the team assembled!

As could be seen from the polls taken before the season, Ippy were the popular choice as PL winners, closely followed by the Diamonds and Somerset, and that was based strongly on the strength of your reserves you had signed. The 5 above them could have been strength in depth, big number one or top two big riders, you were stiil strongly fancied. The design of the side did not fail anybody but the form of individual riders did. Of course your start damaged things very early. We were at Redcar on the Thursday night opener for you, and we anxiously awaited the updates of the serious injuries that you were so very unlucky to receive on that night. That night, and those injuries, ruined your start and after that you were rebuilding with unjustified criticism.

A lot of sympathy for you after we had a similar year last year, but but for those injuries and a major drop in form of one special rider, Ippy could have walked this league(with us still in second place like :P )

• Like 2