British Speedway Forum

We know Ben and Ryan are to good to ride in the PL, but it is there choice to do so, i think with Ben it is to do with logistics, riding for Plymouth it allows his family to come up from Cornwall to watch him, we all know both of the lads are to good for the PL, but you won't see any Plymouth supporter moaning about it, only some EL supporters who think he should ride in that league and that league only, oh and that pratt Pearson who we all know don't know what he is talking about, but any rider with an over 9pt cma should not be riding in the PL, but they do.

Ben rejoined Plymouth because he wanted more rides than he would get just in the EL. He is so highly regarded in Birmingham that they adjusted the fixture lists to accommodate this! As I said, he won the Bonanza fair and square, beating Harris and Niki P and all the rest to do it. I hope he does avaerage 12 at Plymouth ;)

• Like 1

Ben rejoined Plymouth because he wanted more rides than he would get just in the EL. He is so highly regarded in Birmingham that they adjusted the fixture lists to accommodate this! As I said, he won the Bonanza fair and square, beating Harris and Niki P and all the rest to do it. I hope he does avaerage 12 at Plymouth ;)

So do i JJ, it won't be for the want of trying, he is the most determined rider i have ever seen, and a great lad to.

The rules say they are not to good, so we have to abide by that, some of the rider's Ben beat in the meeting the weekend you would have to say are to good for the PL, if they were to ride in the PL we would say they are, but rider's like Ben beat them on a regular basis, especially away from their respective tracks, even the bests rider's from any league get beat away from home.

If Ben and Ryan were reserves in the EL i would agree they are not, but Ben has a 6pt + average in the EL for Birmingham, where do you draw the line, i think when a rider is to good to ride at reserve in the EL, you have to draw it there, it's great that Ben is riding for Plymouth, and i will be there watching him everyweek, but in my opinion he is a cut above the PL, but he did make a very bad year for the team better with some great displays at the SBA.

What in gods name are you on about?

• Like 1

I disagree if Henning Bager and J Sedgman are at reserv, Bager would be a good reserve in the PL not the EL

i think with Ben it is to do with logistics

I'd say it's more to do with the excellent money he earns at PL level. He's pretty much guaranteed £1000 minimum per match.

We know Ben and Ryan are to good to ride in the PL, but it is there choice to do so, i think with Ben it is to do with logistics, riding for Plymouth it allows his family to come up from Cornwall to watch him, we all know both of the lads are to good for the PL, but you won't see any Plymouth supporter moaning about it, only some EL supporters who think he should ride in that league and that league only, oh and that pratt Pearson who we all know don't know what he is talking about, but any rider with an over 9pt cma should not be riding in the PL, but they do.

You wont hear any true speedway supporter moaning about it either . How many extra bodies will Barker and Fisher add on to attendances up and down the country this season ? Quite a few i would imagine . I'm just glad my team has drew Plymouth in the cup , which gives us an extra chance to see them in action .

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 1

What in gods name are you on about?

It's an opinion, or is it to far over you head you can't understand it.

I'd say it's more to do with the excellent money he earns at PL level. He's pretty much guaranteed £1000 minimum per match.

So having his family come and watch him didn't come into it mike, so why didn't Lanham not come down, that wasn't to do with the money, yes Ben earn's good money, but he has to earn it, it's not a matter of just going on the track, Mike Bowden don't give money away unless you work for it.

It's an opinion, or is it to far over you head you can't understand it.

So having his family come and watch him didn't come into it mike, so why didn't Lanham not come down, that wasn't to do with the money, yes Ben earn's good money, but he has to earn it, it's not a matter of just going on the track, Mike Bowden don't give money away unless you work for it.

bens family watch most of his meetings in uk and ben just wants to ride his bike as much as possible more rides=more money not rocket science

bens family watch most of his meetings in uk and ben just wants to ride his bike as much as possible more rides=more money not rocket science

Your right lewy, if he could he would ride in the NL, he just loves the sport, and the money comes in handy.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case, Ben wouldn't be riding for Plymouth on £40 a point just so his family could watch him would he. He's riding for Plymouth because the rules allow it and he's on good money. The fact that it's the nearest track to his family I would think is somewhat down the order of his priorities. Lanham allegedly didn't come down because he felt the travel was too far for him.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case, Ben wouldn't be riding for Plymouth on £40 a point just so his family could watch him would he. He's riding for Plymouth because the rules allow it and he's on good money. The fact that it's the nearest track to his family I would think is somewhat down the order of his priorities. Lanham allegedly didn't come down because he felt the travel was too far for him.

So if Ben had been offered more money to ride for Berwick he would have gone to them, i think the location of Plymouth had everything to do with him coming to ride for the Devils, no matter what team Ben would turned out for in the PL he would be offered very good money, so saying he would get £40 a point from anyone just so his family could watch him you know would never happen, some people mite think Mike Bowden is stupid, well he aint that stupid, he knew how much Ben would cost, and if he get's £100 a point, the lads worth it.

Edited by Devildodger

It was clear that Barker was a key figure in getting PL status for Plymouth - a local lad done good who could an ambassador for the sport in the area. I don't think he would have ridden for any other PL club.

It was clear that Barker was a key figure in getting PL status for Plymouth - a local lad done good who could an ambassador for the sport in the area. I don't think he would have ridden for any other PL club.

I agree Lovey, on one of the DVD's i have he says that riding for Plymouth is great because it will be easy for his family to come and watch him, not just his mum and dad, yes his mum and dad probably go and watch him in most of his meeting's, but to say that having Plymouth being so near to where his family lives did not come into him riding for the Devil's, i can't see it, i think it's everything to do with it, and like you say i don't think he would have ridden for any other PL club.

I agree Lovey, on one of the DVD's i have he says that riding for Plymouth is great because it will be easy for his family to come and watch him, not just his mum and dad, yes his mum and dad probably go and watch him in most of his meeting's, but to say that having Plymouth being so near to where his family lives did not come into him riding for the Devil's, i can't see it, i think it's everything to do with it, and like you say i don't think he would have ridden for any other PL club.

Well he did ride for the Rebels and we're only another hour & half up the road. Edited by Willowman

The point I was trying to make was that the post I quoted implied Ben is riding for Plymouth mainly as it's close to his family so that they can go and watch. The point I'm making is if the deal wasn't right financially he probably wouldn't have ridden for Plymouth regardless of it being close to his family so they can watch.

I never stated Ben would ride for another PL club but had Plymouth not offered him a deal this year he may well have. On the other hand he may have gone full time EL. It's all totally irrelevant now anyway.