British Speedway Forum
manchesterpaul

Sgp 2012 Wild Cards Now Clear?

For one reason and one very good reason only......as with pretty much every sport on the planet for decades and decades provision is made for a hosting nation competitor or team to be a participant. Even the mightiest richest sport in the world Football has to grant the host nation a guaranteed place. It's continental team championships will often have sparsely populated terrraces when the host nation is not involved in a match during a tournament.

Utter rubbish,Italy have a GP,how many Italian riders are in the GP series,Croatia has a GP,how many Croatian riders are in the GP,Czech Republic has a GP,how many Czech riders are in the GP.

Where the host nation is weak theres always the wild card and right now thats the best any GB rider can hope for.

It bugs me that riders who do not attempt to qualify through the qualifying system get wildcards.

Fair play to Darcy Ward, yes he failed to qualify but he tried, Pedersen and Lindgren didn't although I think Lindgren did the year before

Chris Harris annoys me by not doing the qualifiers, he got in the series in the first place through a wildcard and only once in all the years he has been in the series has he qualified for the next year. That is a rider who SHOULD be doing the qualifiers rather than sitting back and expecting yet another reprieve. 8 crap GP's and one good one doesn't mean you deserve another chance IMO

5 Brits done the qualifers, Kennett, Stead, Barker King and Wright. At least they tried to qualify under their own steam

Not sure what the answer is other than no Brits in the series, we don't have any who deserve it which probably is what we need to finally wake up and realise just what is happening to British Speedway

Edited by Chris Brown

It bugs me that riders who do not attempt to qualify through the qualifying system get wildcards.

Fair play to Darcy Ward, yes he failed to qualify but he tried, Pedersen and Lindgren didn't although I think Lindgren did the year before

Chris Harris annoys me by not doing the qualifiers, he got in the series in the first place through a wildcard and only once in all the years he has been in the series has he qualified for the next year. That is a rider who SHOULD be doing the qualifiers rather than sitting back and expecting yet another reprieve. 8 crap GP's and one good one doesn't mean you deserve another chance IMO

5 Brits done the qualifers, Kennett, Stead, Barker King and Wright. At least they tried to qualify under their own steam

Not sure what the answer is other than no Brits in the series, we don't have any who deserve it which probably is what we need to finally wake up and realise just what is happening to British Speedway

You have to remember, Harris and Lindgren ride all over the place. Its very hard for them to compete in the qualifiers without missing league meetings or they won't get any time to rest during the season. Personally I wish the Grand Prix challenge included riders 9-15 in the current field and then the top 5 from the two semi finals.

Edited by superguest

You have to remember, Harris and Lindgren ride all over the place. Its very hard for them to compete in the qualifiers without missing league meetings or they won't get any time to rest during the season.

Personally I wish the Grand Prix challenge included riders 9-15 in the current field and then the top 5 from the two semi finals.

well i stil think that even if they are riding in multiple leagues, they should try and qualify. rather then just waiting for the wild card.

Personally I wish the Grand Prix challenge included riders 9-15 in the current field and then the top 5 from the two semi finals.

very sensible idea and, that way, a cut and dried system to use.

You have to remember, Harris and Lindgren ride all over the place. Its very hard for them to compete in the qualifiers without missing league meetings or they won't get any time to rest during the season. Personally I wish the Grand Prix challenge included riders 9-15 in the current field and then the top 5 from the two semi finals.

Yes but they have to make the same choices other make. Something has to give and if they choose to given the GP Qualifiers a miss then its the GP that also has to miss if they don't qualify

I would personally do away with the wildcard process anyway, whether 9-15 all deserve a 2nd chance I am not sure but can certainly see the logic of dropping out the last 4 and adding more from the qualification process. If the 9-12 riders are good enough then they would come through, if they don't then bad luck

Riding is the GP series should be something you have to earn on the track and not in the organisers board room

Just my view

For one reason and one very good reason only......as with pretty much every sport on the planet for decades and decades provision is made for a hosting nation competitor or team to be a participant. Even the mightiest richest sport in the world Football has to grant the host nation a guaranteed place. It's continental team championships will often have sparsely populated terrraces when the host nation is not involved in a match during a tournament.

Utter rubbish,Italy have a GP,how many Italian riders are in the GP series,Croatia has a GP,how many Croatian riders are in the GP,Czech Republic has a GP,how many Czech riders are in the GP.

Where the host nation is weak theres always the wild card and right now thats the best any GB rider can hope for.

Utter(er) rubbish as Italy, Croatia and Czech Republic don't have to maintain interest on their country's biggest TV sports platform throughout a whole summer There are sports in the wings salivating over the prospect of receiving the airtime and, in effect, free advertising that speedway receives on Sky.

If the SGP only had the one Wild Card appearance of an English rider per season it wouldn't be very long at all before the British Grand Prix is the ONLY GP to be shown.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Yes but they have to make the same choices other make. Something has to give and if they choose to given the GP Qualifiers a miss then its the GP that also has to miss if they don't qualify

I would personally do away with the wildcard process anyway, whether 9-15 all deserve a 2nd chance I am not sure but can certainly see the logic of dropping out the last 4 and adding more from the qualification process. If the 9-12 riders are good enough then they would come through, if they don't then bad luck

Riding is the GP series should be something you have to earn on the track and not in the organisers board room

Just my view

i agree with most of this post, although i think one wc could be kept just in case we get a situation like last year with Emil, where he got injured in the beginning of the season and then

got injured again in the comeback. I such cases i think a Wc could be justified when having in mind what Emil showed the year before.

as i've said before, its not actually the wild card system itself that the problem lies within the use of the system.

If we would have a clear set of rules and definitions for wild card a system with maybe two wild card it could work but i doubt BSI will change anything because its probably very convenient for them

to have the currents system where they in a routine manner just hands out the wild cards to Lindgren, Harris and the other two who finished 9-12 ish.

Edited by Ghostwalker

For one reason and one very good reason only ...... as with pretty much every sport on the planet for decades and decades provision is made for a hosting nation competitor or team to be a participant.

So next season the Wild Card picks should go to an Italian, a Czech, a Croatian and possibly a German ..... (Who would be the Welsh rider ?)

Darcy Ward tried to qualify but didnt make it through to the final while Fredrik Lindgren has gone through the qualifiers every season and last year had to compete in a race off to get this years place. So he qualified on merit .... This year I'm not sure if Fred even went in the qualifiers and if he didn't why not as he has always done them before.

Basically with the standard of riders already in the line up, it crazy not to change it to the TOP 10 automatically qualify as the riders that finish 9th or 10th are usually top class riders. ... Leave the GP Challenge with 3 spots and then 2 Wild Cards

In my opinion Fredrik Lindgren, Nicki Pedersen and Darcy Ward should get picked and looking at the options .... Bomber the final spot too

Might as well just change it to top 8 or so qualify and the rest compete in the GP challenge. Lets face it no-one outside the top 8 currently would be missed.

F1 -- any nation's team as long as it can pay the entry fee, any driever if he can bring in sponsors.

Who knows,maybe that could be the way the GPs will go someday,(or is? :P )

Harris is a class asset to the racing,shame he has had problems this year but certainly adds more to the GPs than a lot of riders that are mentioned or finished above him,those in charge hold all the cards at the end of the day

Edited by Gearhead

So next season the Wild Card picks should go to an Italian, a Czech, a Croatian and possibly a German ..... (Who would be the Welsh rider ?)

Darcy Ward tried to qualify but didnt make it through to the final while Fredrik Lindgren has gone through the qualifiers every season and last year had to compete in a race off to get this years place. So he qualified on merit .... This year I'm not sure if Fred even went in the qualifiers and if he didn't why not as he has always done them before.

Basically with the standard of riders already in the line up, it crazy not to change it to the TOP 10 automatically qualify as the riders that finish 9th or 10th are usually top class riders. ... Leave the GP Challenge with 3 spots and then 2 Wild Cards

In my opinion Fredrik Lindgren, Nicki Pedersen and Darcy Ward should get picked and looking at the options .... Bomber the final spot too

What is the point of having wild cards at all if they always are going to be handed out to Harris and Lindgren?

Why should they always be favoured before anyone else? I'd say that since both of them entered the GPs on wild card its about time they lets someone else have a try.

So far Harris have received wild cards for 4 out 5 seasons and Freddie for 3 out of 4 seasons and they still don't manage to get in on merit more then once on these tries.

So imo they have had more then enough chances especially if they can't qualify more then once on so many tries.

Cannot see what all the fuss is about .. we always end up with some crap riders in the GP anyway, whether they qualified or not. Quite simple really we ARE a major sppedway nation ... we offer more meetings than anywhere else in Europe so we get treated like one. If we want a rider in the GP we WILL get one ... the way of the world and nobody is gonna change it.

Nice to see Janus doing so well after all the hysteria of him MUST getting a place this year ... another overated Pole who just aint up to the task in hand :lol: