British Speedway Forum
stratton

Will Darcy Ward Be A World Champion In The Future?

It would be more fun if Holder and Ward ended up falling out when they are both fighting for WCs. Imagine the battles and possible publicity that would bring.

It would be more fun if Holder and Ward ended up falling out when they are both fighting for WCs. Imagine the battles and possible publicity that would bring.

They could always fake a rift. Wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by ImpartialOne

Sidney the question is valid just a shame one or two have to take the pish with there responses but hey its just the BSF Mafioso at work as per norm...more a question of which Aussie will dominate world speedway out of Darky Holder Morris or Heeps?! :cheers:

I'd ignore the pathetic attempts of our brigade of urine-extractors if I were you cuz, if all they can do is knock anything and everything.

I'd suggest there are a few more Aussies in the wings than the ones you've mentioned - Batch is committed to having a pop at the GP Challenge next year for one, and I'm sure Rory and Davey will give it another shot, plus there are plenty like Nick & young Cam who'll be taking the next step up shortly, including Taylor Poole & Todd Kurtz.

We've seen plenty in the past who've shone at Junior level but been unable to go on - Leigh Adams & Joe Screen, to name but two. While I can't see Darcy not becoming a senior champion fortune has a way of conspiring against the best.

Why are you Coventry folk so angry all the time..?! (1) It's only a sport; and (2) shouldn't those who care about the sport be celebrating that we have such an exciting young talent in our midst..?

They have no life, Parsloes; it wouldn't be fair to begrudge them the only enjoyment they have in anonymously slagging off people who stand head and shoulders above them, plus we can pity them at the same time, the poor things - let's face it, they're definitely from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Why does a riders age matter? If he's the best in the World then he's exactly that, regardless of age.

Well if you can't see that it's a worry that our last two WCs have been around 40 with hardly any input in the championship from 20-somethings then I don't see what I can say..! :rolleyes:

Well if you can't see that it's a worry that our last two WCs have been around 40 with hardly any input in the championship from 20-somethings then I don't see what I can say..! :rolleyes:

It says a lot that you can't actually explain it.

I'd ignore the pathetic attempts of our brigade of urine-extractors if I were you cuz, if all they can do is knock anything and everything.

I'd suggest there are a few more Aussies in the wings than the ones you've mentioned - Batch is committed to having a pop at the GP Challenge next year for one, and I'm sure Rory and Davey will give it another shot, plus there are plenty like Nick & young Cam who'll be taking the next step up shortly, including Taylor Poole & Todd Kurtz.

We've seen plenty in the past who've shone at Junior level but been unable to go on - Leigh Adams & Joe Screen, to name but two. While I can't see Darcy not becoming a senior champion fortune has a way of conspiring against the best.

They have no life, Parsloes; it wouldn't be fair to begrudge them the only enjoyment they have in anonymously slagging off people who stand head and shoulders above them, plus we can pity them at the same time, the poor things - let's face it, they're definitely from the shallow end of the gene pool.

:rofl: Another pint of bitter? :drink:

With Davey Watt in the middle trying to calm it all down and Boycey in the background showing them how he knocked Gollob out

• Like 1

Would be great to get back to the younger generation mounting a serious challenge.

The Grand Prix format appears to suit the 'more experienced' riders. People knock Hampel and Jonsson, but they are the only ones who have really threatened the older generation in the last two or three years. Harris and Lindgren appear to have reached a plateau and riders like Chris Holder and Emil needs to push on to the next level. Hopefully all four will come through in the next year or so and give some variety to the championship.

The sport could do with some new faces and Ward would be a fantastic inclusion.

It says a lot that you can't actually explain it.

Yes, what is the explanation of this? Can anyone advance a theory?

The original question about Darcy becoming World champion made me do a little thinking back ... just who has come into the series and won?

Much has been made about Greg Hancock winning his second championship some 14 years since his first but those years inbetween show a remarkable lack of 'new winners'.

Only Mark Loram (2000), Nicki P (2003), Jason (2004) and, of course, Tomek (2010) have moved from the mortal ranks to be World Champion for the first time during those 14 years. And THREE of those four actually had already been in the series prior to 1997 anyway; they were hardly newbies.

Actually, out of all the winners of the World Championship since 1997 only ONE single rider has entered the series and then won it IN ALL THOSE 14 YEARS.

Nicki Pedersen entered the series for the first time in 2000 (ELEVEN years ago) and won it for the first time in 2003 (EIGHT years ago).

If I were Darcy, or actually anyone entering the GP circus anytime soon, I wouldn't be too optimistic about breaking through ... would you?

Edited by Grand Central

Yes, what is the explanation of this? Can anyone advance a theory?

The original question about Darcy becoming World champion made me do a little thinking back ... just who has come into the series and won?

Much has been made about Greg Hancock winning his second championship some 14 years since his first but those years show a remarkable lack of 'new winners'.

Only Mark Loram (2000), Nicki P (2003), Jason (2004) and, of course, Tomek (2010) have moved from the mortal ranks to be World Champion for the first time during those 14 years. And THREE of those four actually had already been in the series prior to 1997 anyway; they were hardly newbies.

Actually, out of all the winners of the World Championship since 1997 only ONE single rider has entered the series and then won it IN ALL THOSE 14 YEARS.

Nicki Pedersen entered the series for the first time in 2000 (ELEVEN years ago) and won it for the first time in 2003 (EIGHT years ago).

If I were Darcy, or actually anyone entering the GP circus anytime soon, I wouldn't be too optimistic about breaking through ... would you?

But the same could be said of the 80s:

Lee

Penhall

Penhall

Muller

Gundersen

Gundersen

Nielsen

Nielsen

Gundersen

Nielsen

But the same could be said of the 80s:

Lee

Penhall

Penhall

Muller

Gundersen

Gundersen

Nielsen

Nielsen

Gundersen

Nielsen

Clearly, I didn't explain my self well enough.

The point I was attempting to make was that in the 2000s only one World Champion actually entered the series as a newcomer during that same time frame. Every other champion had already first appeared prior; in fact as far back as 95, 96 and 97.

Actually as your list of 1980s Champions shows perfectly how different that was in those days. ONLY Michael Lee and Egon Muller had appeared in a World Final before 1980. Every other Champion was a newcomer at some point in the eighties NOT before.

Penhall, Gundersen, and Nielsen were all well outside the World Final envelope in the seventies but burst to greatness in the next decade. ONLY Nicki Pedersen has come in from outside the GP circus of the late nineties and achieved this.

So perhaps Darcy will be that man for the 2010s.... we will have to wait and see

But just going back to the eighties... Tommy Knudsen, Kenny Carter, Dennis Sigalos, Kelly Moran, Lance King, Simon Wigg, Shawn Moran and Jimmy Nilsen were all possible candidates for a similar thread on the BSF of the time (whatever that would be) and all without a Championship win to their name at the end ...

So Darcy may turn out to be a Nicki, a Hans or and Erik ...or possibly a Tommy, a Dennis or a Lance ... as I say only time will tell.

Edited by Grand Central

So Darcy may turn out to be a Nicki, a Hans or and Erik ...or possibly a Tommy, a Dennis or a Lance ... as I say only time will tell.

or a Leigh Adams...

Yeah agreed Big Cuz but didnt want to name too many Aussies for fear of being targeted as too pro Oz! :rofl: Heres to a hopeful Aussie win tonight and an apt tribute to uncle Bill....btw i do think i accidently rang your mobi in the early hours....hope i didnt wake you up?! :drink: Go Wales

Probably not.. too much too soon doesn't always make for the work ethic needed. This year he has had the best equipment available and been looked after by his mate. He is great to watch and gets some amazing results, but he has quite a way to go yet.

Will Darcy Ward be World Champ? Dunno, but Pratson jinxed him tonight by making it clear he will be biased towards him in the future, and the last few riders he 'bigs up' have flopped, Chris, then Tai and then Emil, now Ward'.. Sorry Darcy, think that means you will not have a good GP season ahead.

Edited by Marmite