British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Ron How Rip

Sad to report that Ron How died today, soon after entering a hospice.

We will pay full tribute to the former England, Wimbledon and Oxford star in our next issue of Classic Speedway magazine.

In the meantime, do you have any particular memories of Ron that you'd like to share with readers?

Edited by tmc

ron had already retired by the time i went to my first meeting in september 1968. he was without a doubt one of the all time greats in the history of wimbledon speedway. RIP ron. :sad:

Sad news - reached more World Finals than many others who have been granted a more prominent place in English Speedway history.

Was privileged to meet Ron at Plough Lane when we were running between 2002-'05.

An all-time great..

I vaguely remember Ron How riding for Wimbledon, he was always my Mum's favourite rider.

Edited by hellsgrannie

Was privileged to meet Ron at Plough Lane when we were running between 2002-'05.

That was the last time I saw Ron. My parents knew him well, and we used to play darts at his pub.

Sad news indeed. A great rider and a great character.

Steve

Sad news indeed.

Ron was probably the most underrated rider in the history of the sport!!! I think this was for two reasons, the first that he rode in a team of greats like Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs and the second that he wasn't the most spectacular rider around, being more classy than spectacular. He qualified for 8 world finals; not many riders can equal, let alone better, that consistency. His best finish was fifth. He was, of course, a regular in the England Test team.

To us, of course, at New Cross, he was the enemy, but, sadly for us though happily for the Dons, he used to pile up the points at the Frying Pan and was responsible for the Dons beating us more often than not on our own track.

R.I.P., Ron

RIP Ron How.

Made a huge impact in such a short space of time at Oxford - No. 1 for the 1964 treble winning team, and only his injury stopped the Cheetahs winning the inaugural British League title in 1965. Also became the first Cheetah to reach a World Final - scoring 10 points in Gothenburg in 1964.

And quite rightly he is remembered as a legend for Wimbledon, where he won numerous league titles.

EDIT: Does anyone know how old Ron was?

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

RIP Ron How.

Made a huge impact in such a short space of time at Oxford - No. 1 for the 1964 treble winning team, and only his injury stopped the Cheetahs winning the inaugural British League title in 1965. Also became the first Cheetah to reach a World Final - scoring 10 points in Gothenburg in 1964.

And quite rightly he is remembered as a legend for Wimbledon, where he won numerous league titles.

EDIT: Does anyone know how old Ron was?

All the best

Rob

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hriders&action=display&thread=1359

81 according to Schumi and I's records, Rob.

Sad to report that Ron How died today, soon after entering a hospice.

We will pay full tribute to the former England, Wimbledon and Oxford star in our next issue of Classic Speedway magazine.

In the meantime, do you have any particular memories of Ron that you'd like to share with readers?

RIP Mr How.

Second sentence is a touch insensitive surely?

Sad to hear this. Totally agree with others who have said he was very much underrated but his record of league titles along with his World Final appearances underline what a fine rider he was.

R.I.P Ron

Frigbo, thanks a lot, that helped me get my facts right for the piece in today's Oxford Mail:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/9302467.SPEEDWAY__Former_Cheetahs_star_How_dies_at_81/

Ron How joined Wimbledon in 1955, which means he featured in six of their seven league titles between 1954 and 1961. Then he won the National League again with Oxford in 1964. And but for his mid-season injury, the Cheetahs would have surely won the 1965 British League (even missing How for four months, Oxford finished just 7 points behind eventual winners West Ham).

Ron How won SEVEN National League titles - what a fabulous record!!

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

So soon after the passing of Neil Street,another one of our heroes has taken the chequered flag for the last time.Ron was not only a fine individual rider but one of the very best team men the sport has seen.He will be fondly remembered by Harringay,Wimbledon and Oxford fans in particular.I am so pleased that I was able to chat to Ron and his son Trevor at the meeting in 2003 that Wimbledon staged in memory of all the old London tracks.I always enjoyed going to Ron's pub,The Crown, where there was always a warm welcome for speedway fans.

My condolences to the How family.

I was a Wimbledon supporter so I saw Ron many times. A great rider and dogged competitor I got his autograph when I was a kid.