British Speedway Forum
Halifaxtiger

Nl Play Off Final

Just got back after a 320mile round trip. After engine failures and 3 falls when in point scoring positions I thought we had blown our chances. Our luck was out,Ref was questionable and Ash was trying his damdest to burst the same airbag on bend two. But then, we got it together in the last few heats to need a 5-1 to give Scunfield the title in heat 15. What a nail biter with Richie holding off the ever charging Cameron Heeps for 4 laps- a magnificent end to a great meeting.

A fine advert for speedway- Think my daughter summed the meeting up after a 2 and a half hour drive back,when she said " Dad i'm still buzzing!!!!" :cheers:

A HUGE Well Done to Scunthorpe/Sheffield on your Victory.

Also a big well done to the Fen Tigers on fighting your

way back into the tie, losing by just one point on

aggregate must be gutting, but you still have the KO

Cup win, so Congratulations.

With the Witches winning the PL Fours, its been a great season

for the two Suffolk sides... nice one guys.

Cant wait for next season, being able to watch both teams do

the business on track... oh how I've missed my speedway these

past 6 years.

I don't know how to put it into words. Excellent meeting. It had everything but The Mighty Saints came roaring back what a meeting 1st class Well Done and Congratulations to The Saints/prowlers. Amazing nailbiting to the end.

Went as a bit of a neutral today although wanted to support KL not so "old boy" Stefan Nielsen so ended up cheering for the Saints/Prowlers.

Was a tense affair for their fans with efs for top men Steve Worrall and Ash Birks coming a cropper 3 times!! Mildenhall couldn't believe their luck!! In the end both Ashley and Steve got it together and played their part to nick the win from the jaws of defeat.

I guess you could say that this combined team of Scunny and Sheffield have an advantage over Mildenhall with the best youngsters from both clubs but to be honest it's just great to see some british talent (and Cam Heeps) from all three clubs having a good go and some passionate fans supporting them :)

The winner was speedway :cheers:

Well Done to Shefffield/ Scunthorpe team, lets hope that both Promotion keep this team going for next season.

For the benefit of Manchester Paul and Parsloe,

Sheffield had 4 league meetings rode at Sheffield in these meetings they were called the Sheffield Prowlers , in corresponding fixtures away they were again called surprise surprise Sheffield Prowlers.

When the team rode at Scunthorpe they were called The Saints, I leave you to guess what they were called in the corresponding fixture.

Most Sheffield fans are happy with the arrangement and I believe that most Scunthorpe fans were, because at the end of the day both clubs have a strong tradition of encouraging young British riders in the past in fact Sheffield had a really good Conference League team some years back.

Hopefully this answers your questions, and to why both sets of fans are happy, and hopefully it might encourage more mergers and give more opportunities to more younger riders.

Above all i stress again that the whole idea of having a combined team rather than none at all is superb. The fact that it has also provided some wonderful speedway and great enjoyment is fantastic.

So i'll be as brief as possible in giving you a reply and correcting your comments. It's nice to see some people can control themselves and if they disagree they simply state their case/opinion. Unlike a post on the previous page which contains rather tiresome odd off-topic comments (the topic is the NL Play-Off Final and the teams competing in it etc. ). So won't be bothering to give that one a reply.

The explanation you've given above has been proven wrong. It was pointed out in other threads on the topic in which every explanation people gave was found not to be the case.

Anyway, surely the thread now should should move on to the actual racing in the finals and the hope that enough fans turned up to encourage the promoters to go with the idea again next year. Hopefully word of mouth will stir those who did not attend this year to go along.

Only parting note on the aspect of the NL Play-Off Final and apologies for pointing out your assertions about the naming are wrong once more;

From the sport's OFFICIAL site tonight it states as clear as day......wait for it.....wait for it......yep indeedy....

SCUNTHORPE ARE THE NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!

Please don't shoot the messenger eeeeek!

Edited by manchesterpaul

Lot of superlatives here and for once they are fully justifiable, because speedway just doesn't get better than this. :approve:

I had an inkling that the tie wasn't over (despite Sunglasses Dave's mocking dismissal of my prediction of a 20pt Mildenhall win) but couldn't believe my eyes as Mildenhall, aided by some Saints misfortune, poor riding and questionable tacticals, tore into Scunny and the huge lead accummulated on Friday had gone by heat 9. The Fen Tigers needed just 10 points from the last 4 heats and had mugged Scunny good and proper, only to be mugged themselves at the very end.

Throw in some brilliant racing (typified by an astonishing heat 10) and the whole league not being decided until the last few yards of the final race of the final meeting (I genuinely thought Heeps had done it)and we had a spectacle that provided a fitting (more than fitting)end to a fine NL season.

Great credit to both teams, managements and track curators for a final that not just the NL but British Speedway as a whole can be proud of. :approve:

Congratulations to the Saints, commiserations to the Fen Tigers. The latter at least have the consolation of a most successful season, the KO Cup and the near certainty of their team coming to the tapes in 2012 (something never taken for granted in West Suffolk).

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Really? I don't remember you bringing it up more than 5 times a day.

Such earth-shattering decision making as what to put in the programme notes that no one reads, I'm just surprised that Sheffield fans weren't to be found outside Scunthorpe on Friday with placards & banners demanding equal status for their alphbetically - challenged representation.

Er, I have NOT brought it up much at all and you clearly misread my posting... And let's get this straight the decision to have that dual-branding rather than one combined one was that of the two clubs no-body else...

Still in Shock,great win for the Saints,a plan for start of 2010 has worked and huge congratulations to all involved

Has there ever been a meeting like that???i was gutted i couldnt make it yeaterday,but the updates,20 Marlboro`s and a sit in a windswept garden help me survive

Fair play for a great comeback from Mildenhall,helped along by engines going bang and falls,but great they got it back,then for the Saints to nick it at the death was beyond words

And folk wont go watch NL speedway,this meeting should be used somehow to promote NL speedway,dont know how but it should

COME ON ROB AND NEIL,GET IT BACK ON,LETS GO FOR IT AGAIN

Went as a bit of a neutral today although wanted to support KL not so "old boy" Stefan Nielsen so ended up cheering for the Saints/Prowlers.

Was a tense affair for their fans with efs for top men Steve Worrall and Ash Birks coming a cropper 3 times!! Mildenhall couldn't believe their luck!! In the end both Ashley and Steve got it together and played their part to nick the win from the jaws of defeat.

I guess you could say that this combined team of Scunny and Sheffield have an advantage over Mildenhall with the best youngsters from both clubs but to be honest it's just great to see some british talent (and Cam Heeps) from all three clubs having a good go and some passionate fans supporting them :)

The winner was speedway :cheers:

It sounds as though I should have attended as I've always said you don't need top riders to put a show on and it pleasing to hear that speedway was the winner

SKY would have paid top money for that meeting !!! unbelievable still can't quite believe what went on....

What a fantastic meeting, it really did have everything. Does anyone know if was filmed for a potential dvd release?

Yes it was filmed