British Speedway Forum

Yup.Fingers crossed PePe * Bjarne have to turn down their places as well :party:

Absolutely. I feel like we've gone backwards 5 years.

For me, any one of:

Tomas H Jonasson

Grigory Laguta

Rory Schlein

Przemeslaw Pawlicki

and possibly Hans Andersen if he could find some decent form.

Absolutely. I feel like we've gone backwards 5 years.

For me, any one of:

Tomas H Jonasson

Grigory Laguta

Rory Schlein

Przemeslaw Pawlicki

and possibly Hans Andersen if he could find some decent form.

And you were doing so well!!

Wasn't Ward doing the qualifiers BEFORE the Poles said just one GP rider per team.

goal posts have changed

Wasn't Ward doing the qualifiers BEFORE the Poles said just one GP rider per team.

goal posts have changed

No. Poland announced the 1 GP rider for 2012 before the 2011 season had even started

And you were doing so well!!

I still think on his day Andersen is a class act and I think the GPs are poorer without him. He has tended to ride injured in a lot of GPs when he should have sat it out but needed to ride for the points. If he could have a year without injuries I think we would see a return to the HA of old, or somewhere near it.

So if Darcy turns it down then why let him in in the future? It's an interesting scenario. Given a couple of years - if he's still turning it down - we could have a situation where the rider who is possibly the best in the world is not in the World Championship.

It'll be like Ali/Fazier all over again. Who's the real champ? The champ can't be the worlds champ coz he ain't beaten Darcy!

Maybe others will drop out too. Then we could see a split and two seperate "World" championships - a GRand Prix and a one-off individual one. Sounds far fetched but it's happened in other sports so it could happen.

Can see a big thrilling meeting in Manila deciding it in the end.

A thriller in Manila would suit me (though awkward to get there! :wink: ) though I'd equally like a trembley at Wembley!! :approve: Grachan is spot on that the withdrawal of top young riders from the GPs just shows up the slippery slope this particular format is on... For once I agree 100% with by old nemesis mick the muppet:

Speedway should end all this rubbish with the GP's and get back to it's roots again and have a proper world championship. There are people who have nothing to do with Speedway earning far more out of it than Speedway itself

A thriller in Manila would suit me (though awkward to get there! :wink: ) though I'd equally like a trembley at Wembley!! :approve: Grachan is spot on that the withdrawal of top young riders from the GPs just shows up the slippery slope this particular format is on... For once I agree 100% with by old nemesis mick the muppet:

Who's your pick Mr. Nearly?

The most ridiculous post ever, you dont no wards reasons finance?Ive mentioned it before Ward is a terrific rider.His choice ,keep saying about oh he didnt qualify Speedway needs the wards of this world because there is a lack of general quality world wide coming through.You would have to be stevie wonder to say he shouldnt be in the gps.anyway darcys call maybe he hasnt the set up yet.Why are some people negative towards him?one of a few riders i would pay just to see him ride.

Great post Sidney. Since he burst onto the scene he's revitalised interest in the sport, first Downunder and now Europe, and folks like me travel the world to watch him race. I for one would love to see him in EnZed next March. Why not let him make his own mind up when he feels ready, rather than being pushed into it too soon?

Riders like Darcy put bums on seats; hopefully there's a few more in the wings.

So if Darcy turns it down then why let him in in the future? It's an interesting scenario. Given a couple of years - if he's still turning it down - we could have a situation where the rider who is possibly the best in the world is not in the World Championship.

The problem for the GP is that he might actually be the best rider in the world NEXT year and he's not in the World Championship.

Surely BSI are concerned that any propective world champion would find a prefferable alternative to their series

As someone else pointed out the Polish Gp rider policy for 2012 was known all this year. So I just don't understand why Darcy was going through the qualifying rounds if he was only only going to decline a place if he qualified, or had it offered gratis.

And similarly, he took up GP wild card placings 'without a team' to do it and presumably not using that experiemnce to get that team in place for the following year.

Has he just been a dirty big tease?

I just wonder how keen Mr Bellamy will be to extend that meeting by meeting wildcard to Darcy once he has gone into this self imposed 2012 exile?

Edited by Grand Central

I just wonder how keen Mr Bellamy will be to extend that meeting by meeting wildcard to Darcy once he has gone into this self imposed 2012 exile?

It seems everyone thinks IMG need Darcy more than Darcy needs them. IF Darcy carries on in the same form he has this year of course Mr Bellamy will want him in his competition as a wildcard .....

Who's your pick Mr. Nearly?

My pick..? :unsure: It's that we pick ourselves up from this sorry shambles and go back to a proper meritocratic World Championship and stop marginalising our sport by a copy of an inferior GP product..! :approve:

My pick..? :unsure: It's that we pick ourselves up from this sorry shambles and go back to a proper meritocratic World Championship and stop marginalising our sport by a copy of an inferior GP product..! :approve:

Are you on medication Mr. Nearly (answers a question)?

One more thing... What inferior GP product is this World Championship a copy of?

Edited by ImpartialOne

Great post Sidney. Since he burst onto the scene he's revitalised interest in the sport, first Downunder and now Europe, and folks like me travel the world to watch him race. I for one would love to see him in EnZed next March. Why not let him make his own mind up when he feels ready, rather than being pushed into it too soon?

Riders like Darcy put bums on seats; hopefully there's a few more in the wings.

I didnt realise Dave ,about the joke money in the gps you no more than me travelling ect costs ect.The money on offer pittance it just shows me the gp series is in a very dangerous position at the moment.whats worrying is that total energy since 1995 has gone into the gps [sod the elite league standard for me quite poor]and the series is not that strong financially.Greg being a great champion, should reape the financial rewards deserves it but is it that rewarding in comparrison to other sports.?Going back to ward, i think he wants to be on a sound footing team wise costs well frightening if you add it all up.And if you ride your? off for a 8 month period he deserves to make a profit dosent he.Unless he gets help money wise for Darcy to realise a dream of being world champion is going to cost him money alot of it.

Based on todays conversion rate $1 = £0.626 a rough guide to GP earnings in 2011 are:-

Greg Hancock $87,400 = £54,712.40

Andreas Jonsson $70,250 = £43,976.50

Jaroslaw Hampel $63,500 = £39,751.00

Jason Crump $55,350 = £34,649.10

Tomasz Gollob $59,000 = £36,934.00

Emil Sayfutdinov $56,850 = £35,588.10

Kenneth Bjerre $52,550 = £32,896.30

Chris Holder $59,250 = £37,090.50

Fredrik Lindgren $50,550 = £31,644.30

Nicki Pedersen $59,250 = £37,090.50

Chris Harris $48,050 = £30,079.30

Antonio Lindback $47,950 = £30,016.70

Rune Holta $40,450 = £25,321.70

Janusz Kolodziej $39,000 = £24,414.00

Artem Laguta $32,500 = £20,345.00

Including all the Track Reserves and Wild Cards (not listed above) I reckon total Prize Money to be in the region of £600,000.

ATB

Dave

Edited by Gambo

One more thing... What inferior GP product is this World Championship a copy of?

I was thinking of F1... :rolleyes: Not saying inferior in terms of its commercial success, but inferior in terms of how bloody difficult it would be (without HUGE money) to get into... :wink: