British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

Or just leave it where it is on a Saturday evening...I'm not sure why you think Saturday evening is bad.

If you ask me it's actually a great time to have a motorsports event as there really isn't any competition from other major events. As Humphrey mentioned, it's hard to find a gap in the motorsports calendar on Sundays.

From the middle of March until the end of November, there were only 2 weekends that didn't have F1, MotoGP, WSB or WTCC scheduled this year. Many Sundays had several of them. That's before you even bring in the big domestic championships like the BSB and BTCC.

I think Saturday is fine for it too,if I'm honest I always watch it later that night so I can fast forward through the ads and the studio commentare and any other crap parts,there's nothing I'd put in front of MX on Sunday,and Moto GP comes second and again it's a stacked day of motorsport

BSI need to alter the format a little too,the points for getting to the semis obviously comes to mind,something else needs to change for me personally to give it that spark again,I've become bored with it in recent years and I'm not prepared to spend a fotune going to Cardiff again to get that buzz,last time I worked out thate a late booking week in Spain etc would have been as cheap with guaranteed weather too :o

I think Saturday is fine for it too,if I'm honest I always watch it later that night so I can fast forward through the ads and the studio commentare and any other crap parts,there's nothing I'd put in front of MX on Sunday,and Moto GP comes second and again it's a stacked day of motorsport

BSI need to alter the format a little too,the points for getting to the semis obviously comes to mind,something else needs to change for me personally to give it that spark again,I've become bored with it in recent years and I'm not prepared to spend a fotune going to Cardiff again to get that buzz,last time I worked out thate a late booking week in Spain etc would have been as cheap with guaranteed weather too :o

My only gripe is that sometimes the winner of a round can end up with less points than second place. This to me is wrong.

To eliminate this, they should still carry the points forward in the semi finals but the final should be awarded 1st - 25, 2nd -22, 3rd - 20 and 4th 18. The highest possible points for a rider not making the final is 16 so the points would be better spread and there would be more emphasis on making the final. A rider could easily turn 10 points from 6 rides into 25 by winning the final and make up substantial ground or pull clear of the pack.

My only gripe is that sometimes the winner of a round can end up with less points than second place. This to me is wrong.

To eliminate this, they should still carry the points forward in the semi finals but the final should be awarded 1st - 25, 2nd -22, 3rd - 20 and 4th 18. The highest possible points for a rider not making the final is 16 so the points would be better spread and there would be more emphasis on making the final. A rider could easily turn 10 points from 6 rides into 25 by winning the final and make up substantial ground or pull clear of the pack.

No, I don't agree. The current points system is the best they ever had. It is a true reflection of what a rider has done throughout the whole meeting, as every single point he scores does actually count for his world championship points total.

Remember when this was not the case, riders often cruised round in second or third place, not aming an effort to overtake if knowing that the points would not matter if they were already through to a semi or final.

Now every heat from the very first race of the night has a meaning and every single point in any of the heats is fought for from the first to the last event of the night.

This is the beauty of this points system. And it does not matter if sometimes the winner of the final is not the top points scorer on the night. I have no problem with that.

No, I don't agree. The current points system is the best they ever had. It is a true reflection of what a rider has done throughout the whole meeting, as every single point he scores does actually count for his world championship points total.

Remember when this was not the case, riders often cruised round in second or third place, not aming an effort to overtake if knowing that the points would not matter if they were already through to a semi or final.

Now every heat from the very first race of the night has a meaning and every single point in any of the heats is fought for from the first to the last event of the night.

This is the beauty of this points system. And it does not matter if sometimes the winner of the final is not the top points scorer on the night. I have no problem with that.

I do agree with most of that but I don't like that second can get more than first. Same as I don't like 3 points for a win and 4 for 2nd in league racing!

With this system people won't be cruising because even if you've made the semi on 8, there's no guarantee you'll make the final so you could end up on 8 or 9 but if you went for every point you could at least go out with a maximum of 16 and your nearest rival could come last in the final with 18. It's worth a shot at least I think.

I think the scoring is much better as it is now .... maybe offer the winner 10pts instead though

I think the scoring is much better as it is now .... maybe offer the winner 10pts instead though

I'd like to see some 'gain' from actually reaching the Semi Finals & Final.

Maybe:-

S/F 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 (With zero points for a non-finish)

Final 6 - 4 - 2 - 1 (With zero points for a non-finish)

ATB

Dave

ATB

Dave

I sort of feel the same that riders should gain from qualifying for the semi/final and actually winning the meeting,but just have the worry that a rider might only qualify because he has a lower number race jacket.And that makes me a bit wary of the system when a rider goes through and gets extra points because of his performance the previous year.That is where i align myself with Parsloes for instance who says the system favours the riders already in the top 8 or 10.....

I agree with Bavarian 100% - I think the current scoring system is spot on. Best rider on the night will get the most points, best rider in the final gets the title of champion for that round - best of both worlds IMHO.

Irs123 - agree with you to some extent, but how often does a riders race number detemine qualification for the semis - once a season (this is a genuine question)? Simple way around that is to introduce addtional "tie break" measures - such as fastest winning time, head to head record against other semi final qualifiers etc.

ATB

Dave

But in fairness, you do gain, you score more than the other riders if you make the semi and if you make the final you have just got 2 or 3 points anyway from the semi. I don't like the idea of more points. Mind you, I dont like the idea of a GP winner having less points than the guy who come last in the semi, potentially! 15 vs 6+2+6

To clarify this, are you saying that the finalists are racing for 25, 22, 20 and 18 points and any points scored in reaching the final are not counted? If so I quite like that idea. I've always thought it a bit odd that the winner of a GP can actually score less than someone who finished 4th

I am afraid to say the scoring system is rubbish.

Say for instance Rider A won every Gp but rider B top scored in every GP. Then rider B would be world champion without ever winning a GP. So rider A wins all the GP's yet is not world champion. That why the scoring system must be changed.

To clarify this, are you saying that the finalists are racing for 25, 22, 20 and 18 points and any points scored in reaching the final are not counted? If so I quite like that idea. I've always thought it a bit odd that the winner of a GP can actually score less than someone who finished 4th

Yes, basically up to the semis all points count but if you reach the final you are awarded points from the final instead.

So:

Rider A scores 23132 = 11 + 1 in semi = 12

Rider B scores 33333 = 15 + 1 in semi = 16

Rider C scores 10322 = 8 + 3 in semi. Second in final = 22

Rider D scores 31122 = 9 + 2 in semi. Wins final = 25

I agree with Bavarian 100% - I think the current scoring system is spot on. Best rider on the night will get the most points, best rider in the final gets the title of champion for that round - best of both worlds IMHO.

So forgive me but what exactly is the POINT of winning an indiv. GP..? :shock::blink:

I am afraid to say the scoring system is rubbish.

Say for instance Rider A won every Gp but rider B top scored in every GP. Then rider B would be world champion without ever winning a GP. So rider A wins all the GP's yet is not world champion. That why the scoring system must be changed.

Er, but we've already had a year when a rider (Loramski, bless 'im! :approve: ) won the world title without ever winning a GP...

So forgive me but what exactly is the POINT of winning an indiv. GP..? :shock::blink:

Prestige. The fact the competitor can say he was the best that day. A small piece of history. Extra kudos. That smug feeling on a Sunday morning. Financial reward on the night and also for when approaching potential sponsors.