British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

I find it hard to believe that 1) you consider King's Lynn and Barrow easy to access in comparison and 2) You would travel from Germany to Wembley but would not consider travelling an extra 2 hours along the M4 to Cardiff :blink:

Think on point one you need to go back and read what Phil said and my answer ;)

On point two.I kill two birds with one stone with Wembley.I get to visit my family and see a GP.Cardiff on the other hand is too much bother.You might find that hard to believe,but how many times in my life have i ever been to Cardiff?Answer.....zilch.So proof of the pudding is in the eating :rofl:

Edited by iris123

The Millennium Stadium isn't a speedway stadium, so it's not really a fair comparison.

I personally think the new Wembley, the Emirates and even Twickenham are better stadia than the Millenium although they're not really suitable for speedway or have the advantage of a roof. Personally, I don't like indoor stadiums very much, but I can see they're advantageous for speedway.

I would say Cardiff compared to any speedway stadium is a fairer comparison than Twickenham or Emirates which have nothing to do with speedway.

IRIS123 ... you haven't tried the pudding so how do you know what it tastes like?

Ive been twice the stadium is good, but as others have pointed out there are better.But my main point has the actual racing been great? the occasion has been great the racing,s been average.

WHAT makes you think racing would be any better at Wembley?

i dont think it would be plus with no roof as such i would not go to wembly to watch. great stadium but crap area it is in.

cardiff however now a bit old hat, racing bit boring now track has no holes in it :P whole event very stale and not what is was a few years ago. only thing to have improved is the aftershow party food but still not as good as the old bsi days in the hilton :D i say every year were not going again but were not 100% in 2012 .

WHAT makes you think racing would be any better at Wembley?

I must admit 75 and 78 were not great Finals ,again atmosphere brilliant at all of them.So i am not going to lie and say it was all great at Wembley see a decent European final there and 81 was good overated a bit.I Just think we dont want to get complacent with just Cardiff, hard times at the moment so something new isnt going to happen for a while.Looking back i no Wembley is a great place but really it was a bit of a dump inside sat on planks.It didnt seem to matter ive been to a few big sporting events and the speedway always ranks highest for me.But full respect to Cardiff its doing something right and hopefully that will continue. My only bug bearer is that British Speedway do not see the financial rewards that comes from a british g.p.

How can it be convienient. Coming from abroad Cardiff has no direct flights from Poland,Denmark,Sweden, Czech Republic or Germany. Wembley is 12 miles from Heathrow with flights from everywhere. Coming from Europe by road Wembley is much better than Cardiff. Taking all the Speedway clubs in Britain perhaps 3 or 4 of them are easier to get to Cardiff than Wembley.

I fly in from Oz: I land at 6:00 AM Friday morning; I take the express to Paddington from Heathrow, walk across the station concourse, board a train to Wales and I'm dumping my traps at my hotel by 10:00AM. If that's not convenient I don't know what is.

I fly in from Oz: I land at 6:00 AM Friday morning; I take the express to Paddington from Heathrow, walk across the station concourse, board a train to Wales and I'm dumping my traps at my hotel by 10:00AM. If that's not convenient I don't know what is.

Am I missing something here . Big Fat Dave lands at Heathrow and he is in Cardiff 4 hours later. Wembley is 12 miles away from Heathrow. I wonder if he thinks it would take 4 hours to get to Wembley. Then there is a slight difference in costs.

Please go back on my previous posting and tell me where it is more convienent to get to Cardiff than Wembley.

Ask the Poles,Danes or Swedes what they would prefer to go to. They cannot even fly to Cardiff direct.

Think on point one you need to go back and read what Phil said and my answer ;)

On point two.I kill two birds with one stone with Wembley.I get to visit my family and see a GP.Cardiff on the other hand is too much bother.You might find that hard to believe,but how many times in my life have i ever been to Cardiff?Answer.....zilch.So proof of the pudding is in the eating :rofl:

M4.. Straight road from London :) you don't know what you're missing!

AND the hotels, bars, restaurants, etc in Wembley as opposed to Cardiff?

Anyway, it's all academic. The British GP takes place in Cardiff and I for one have no problem with that.

AND the hotels, bars, restaurants, etc in Wembley as opposed to Cardiff?

Anyway, it's all academic. The British GP takes place in Cardiff and I for one have no problem with that.

This is exactly the reason that moving it away from Cardiff would be , in my opinion mad!

There was a thread running a while back and there wasn't one post that convinced me of the merits of moving the British GP to Wembley.

Cardiff is just right. It has all the Bars and shops, restaurants a hop, skip and jump from the Hotel. This year the pedestrian area was mobbed by fans that were taking in all the Speedway related stalls, whilst popping into one of the above The build up is fantastic, chatting with old mates and new people over a Beer is just brilliant. I've met people at Cardiff that I wouldn't have met going to Wembley...Cardiff is fantastic. We tend to make a weekend of it and have done for six years. Cardiff would get my vote anytime ... :approve:

• Like 1

This is exactly the reason that moving it away from Cardiff would be , in my opinion mad!

There was a thread running a while back and there wasn't one post that convinced me of the merits of moving the British GP to Wembley.

Cardiff is just right. It has all the Bars and shops, restaurants a hop, skip and jump from the Hotel. This year the pedestrian area was mobbed by fans that were taking in all the Speedway related stalls, whilst popping into one of the above The build up is fantastic, chatting with old mates and new people over a Beer is just brilliant. I've met people at Cardiff that I wouldn't have met going to Wembley...Cardiff is fantastic. We tend to make a weekend of it and have done for six years. Cardiff would get my vote anytime ... :approve:

Great point,but maybe there is room for something else,i would not have a g.p in London anyway.But maybe there could be something else special a big individual meeting or something[wont rival Cardiff] .Wont ever happen i dont suppose, anyway just a thought.