British Speedway Forum
Warm&Cosy

Gp Qualifier Berwick 16/6

Giving that Berwick only couldve run on monday as an alternative,so I think we can say that the covers saved an organisational nightmare,having to get riders from Berwick to Poland and elsewhere,then back,not to mention that the EL teams affected would need to book guests.Most importantly there wouldve been nowhere near the crowd for a re-arrangement than there was last night.

So if Berwick get another meeting next year and the weather plays the same trick do you think the "covering" of the track will encourage ppl to come?

So if Berwick get another meeting next year and the weather plays the same trick do you think the "covering" of the track will encourage ppl to come?

Judging by the over 2000 crowd then yes is the answer to your question.

Yip, i'd do it all again. I had a great night catching up with pals i've not seen so much of this year, especially the Newcastle and Glasgow gang....what a laugh!

Well done everyone concerned for getting that meeting on, and the riders for giving it a go. I thought the rain coming down to Berwick was bad, but that was nothing, compared to driving back up home after the meeting! :o

Well for what it's worth, I had a great night, speedway was improved by the copious amount of alcohol in the box, and served by a happy bunch of volunteers.

For me a wise decision for FIM staff to take over track preperation, assisted by the Berwicks hard working track staff, lessons rarely come along for free, and I hope Razor & George took advantage of all of that knowledge they had at hand.

One major criticism which has already been mentioned, I thought it an absolute disgrace that the collection was not made for Lee Richardson on a night when that level of crowd would have benefitted the cause. It is noted that the collection will happen at a later date, but with a possible crowd of about 600-800, it will not achieve what could have happened on Sat with a crowd around 2000.

• Like 1

Dekker, I don't think I can quote on my phone. But my point was that a lot of meetings are called off having had much less bad weather than Berwick had. So if assume covers on those tracks would give a slightly better end result than at Berwick on Saturday, then yes, I do think it's worth it. Also, a bit more practice and experience with covers would probably have given a better track on Saturday too. It did look like the tractors made the bends a bit worse to start with so I'm sure a bit more experience would help with preparing a track in those conditions.

The racing wasn't great but there were a few ok races towards the end.

One major criticism which has already been mentioned, I thought it an absolute disgrace that the collection was not made for Lee Richardson on a night when that level of crowd would have benefitted the cause. It is noted that the collection will happen at a later date, but with a possible crowd of about 600-800, it will not achieve what could have happened on Sat with a crowd around 2000.

Agree with this,obviously its good that a collection will take place this saturday with a reduced crowd however,but its seems more reactive rather than pro-active,once practice was called off last saturday it wasnt asking to much for that collection to take place during the meeting proper as Im sure it wouldve raised a huge amount.

Hopefully a lesson learned.

Except the Lee Richardson collection was always scheduled for the PRACTICE. How many of the 2000 would have been there?

Not 700 - 800 like there will be on Saturday!

But hey, the promotion got through Saturday, despite everything the weather in particular threw at them, so it's lucky thre's something for The Little Welshman with green eyes to gnaw at.

After all, the only thing that ties the current FIM - approved Berwick Speedway with the dump that it had become under the present regime is that, despite The Little Watchman knowing how to do everything, both promotions have chosen to ignore him at every opportunity.

• Like 2

For me a wise decision for FIM staff to take over track preperation, assisted by the Berwicks hard working track staff, lessons rarely come along for free, and I hope Razor & George took advantage of all of that knowledge they had at hand.

What a load of nonsense! What knowledge do a Polish referee and a Danish schoolteacher have about preparing the Shielfield circuit? Nobody took over anything.

My guy on the spot tells me the FIM delegates repeatedly assured Ian Rae and his magnificent staff that it was their track, their know-how and their task. The inspection at the Heat 12 interval followed Danny King and Bomber Harris crashing and was a mere formality.

Stick to flogging the two-bob watches, please.

• Like 3

I was surprised to see Dave # Name Removed # at Berwick, what does he do with Speedway now? Last I heard was when he left IOW way back when.

Except the Lee Richardson collection was always scheduled for the PRACTICE. How many of the 2000 would have been there?

Not 700 - 800 like there will be on Saturday!

Absolutely correct. Rico donations at practice, fencefund collection during meeting. Always the schedule. Arranged weeks ago.

You don't go changing things at the last minute at a meeting as big as this.

Remember the Rico collection was originally scheduled for May 19th, when Ipswich were visiting. Chris Louis was bringing the first supply of Freya's t-shirts. The donations at Saturday's practice were to be an extra, dictated by the BSPA, not Berwick.. Plus the wristbands were still on sale, and raised about £1,000, I believe.

The actual Rico collection was always rescheduled for this coming Saturday. But as has been said, don't let sensible organisation for a good cause get in the way of destructive criticism of the Berwick promotion.

Like the Popular Front said, what have the Romans done for us........?

• Like 3

Absolutely correct. Rico donations at practice, fencefund collection during meeting. Always the schedule. Arranged weeks ago.

If the Fence Fund collection was arranged weeks ago,you`d think the club couldve announced it before hand,I mean its not as if the wasnt enough press releases about this meeting. :blink:

I'm proud to say "I was there", even though the weather did its damnedest to try and ruin it.

Great to see supporters from all over, what a great crowd and atmosphere.

The weather had its say in the racing, which is really frustrating for everyone, but at least the meeting went ahead: especially for the many who had travelled far.

Let's hope we see more of this at Berwick.

Being awarded this type of meeting after a relatively short time in charge shows the massive respect the Berwick Promotion are building up throughout the sport.

Not only respect. but confidence in their ability to stage a FIM event.

They can't be doing much wrong.

Still, those who are jealous and bitter will continue to - somewhat desperately -try to find fault.

I pity them.

Edited by bigeddiechek
  • Like 2

I'm proud to say "I was there", even though the weather did its damnedest to try and ruin it.

Great to see supporters from all over, what a great crowd and atmosphere.

The weather had its say in the racing, which is really frustrating for everyone, but at least the meeting went ahead: especially for the many who had travelled far.

Let's hope we see more of this at Berwick.

Being awarded this type of meeting after a relatively short time in charge shows the massive respect the Berwick Promotion are building up throughout the sport.

Not only respect. but confidence in their ability to stage a FIM event.

They can't be doing much wrong.

Still, those who are jealous and bitter will continue to - somewhat desperately -try to find fault.

I pity them.

Yes they have done very well.

Were they tipped the wink to get an air fence etc so they'd get one of these meetings?? Or just coincidence ?? Genuine question.

Were they tipped the wink to get an air fence etc so they'd get one of these meetings?? Or just coincidence ?? Genuine question.

Neither: just good planning and promotion.

Edited by bigeddiechek

I believe that someone on the inside gave them a "heads up"