British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2012

Another way to go would be to put Danny Warwick at 1 then look to bring in a lower grade rider on a 6ish cma which will still make the main body of the team strong still, if Nick is going to be out for about six weeks with that injury you don't want to commit to bring in a rider that don't want just to ride for six weeks, he will want to ride for the year, and if he rides well you will be in a situation when Nick returns that you don't want to be in, dropping a good rider that has done well for the club while Nick has been out injured, and bringing in a good rider that has done well for the club who you know will do well when he returns, bringing in a lesser rider and moving Danny to 1 wont make it stonger at 1, but will make the lower order much stronger, its not a perfect solution, but there are not many riders around that will ride at home like Nick Simmonds do, and Danny knows the home track well and would fill in well while Nick is out, i think it will be impossible to find a rider on the same CMA as Nick that rides on a par with him at home.

Edited by Devildodger

Nice post devil, some good valid points. I'll take your main one that I totally agree with: whoever comes in has pretty much got to accept that Nick will return & if his average is that of a #1 then he knows he's going to lose his place, not much of an incentive to score.

I think someone like Mark Baseby or Barrie Evans would do until Nick comes back, then it's up to the lads in the team to do well or lose there place, you need competition in the team and knowing Nick will be coming back it will add that to the team, i think with some teams riders they know even if they don't ride well they will still keep there place, a fear of losing there place is essential to a team if they want to win trophy's.

Devil Barrie has packed up mate. :)

devil dodger has a good point, bit hard on ricky mullins, but you could have mark baseby and benji compton to replace nick temporary, and ricky. would make very solid team throuhgout, and rife competion for there places when nick returns.

Edited by builderbob

I would be very tempted to go for Lee Smart, has been riding in a few amateur meetings to keep his hand in, and he doesnt have a PL team, so from what i recall he can therefore ride NL, but not 100% sure about that one, it could suit both parties, ie Lee would get the rides to put him in the shop window, and Islanders would get there short term No1 replacement to cover Nick.

Edited by greyhoundp

Devil Barrie has packed up mate. :)

Shame a very handy rider to have on his present cma.

devil dodger has a good point, bit hard on ricky mullins, but you could have mark baseby and benji compton to replace nick temporary, and ricky. would make very solid team throuhgout, and rife competion for there places when nick returns.

Thats my point, if you can't find a suitable rider for Nick make the rest of the team stronger, if Barrie Evans has retired i would go for the Baseby brothers, like you say it will be hard on Ricky Mullins but will make the team strong from 1 to 7.

Shame a very handy rider to have on his present cma.

Thats my point, if you can't find a suitable rider for Nick make the rest of the team stronger, if Barrie Evans has retired i would go for the Baseby brothers, like you say it will be hard on Ricky Mullins but will make the team strong from 1 to 7, the teams that do well always have a strong tail, and that will give the team a very strong tail, i think in Danny Warwick the IofW have a rider that can stand in while Nick Simmons recovers from his injury.

Edited by Devildodger

Some good points raised, different way of looking at things, would be harsh on Mullins though, but what price is success for a stand alone club like the Islanders, having said that from what I could gather at the P&P, they can use a guest for Nick and will be going that direction for the time being. I thought the boys looked good on Saturday, all did plenty of laps, and there was a good turn out of supporters as well, hopefully a good season will bring a few more back.

If Nick is only going to be out for 6 weeks we shouldn't be looking to change too much, he will only miss 6 meetings, 3 challenge 2 KOC and 1 League match, surely R/R or guests would see us through that spell and give the rest of the lads a fair crack.

If you get the right guest no problem, it's all about who is available on that night, but if it's the right one i see no problem, the only problem will be if Nick takes longer to get fit, how many times do you hear that something comes up and it takes a liittle longer, but if the lad is only out for six weeks than go the guest way.

cant believe that i actually agree with someone on this sight but devildodger your spot on again

I just hope the IofW promotor gets the right rider's, it won't be easy to find one on the same cma has Nick Simmons, that rides like him around the IofW track, i don't think away will be a problem, you just have to find one that rides that track well and is available that night.

Before the season has even got under way, another change in the Islanders line up, as they move to replace Rik Mullins with Danny Stoneman, see the bspa site for details.

• Like 1