British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Hewitt

PL Fours, Peterborough, 15/07

The eight qualifying clubs are now known. Plymouth, Somerset, Workington, Newcastle, Berwick, Leicester, Glasgow and Scunthorpe will all do battle over two semi-finals.

They have used May’s averages in June as the cut-off for qualification.

Sadly, the current champions will not be in a position to defend their title which is a disappointment.

There is an argument of course that qualification should be based on the combined averages of the top five, as of course each team will be tracking FIVE, not four riders each. Had that been the case, then it would be Ipswich and not Berwick that would have qualified.

It isn't of course, so we will just have to live with it!!!

Edited by Mr Snackette

Not so true in the Southern teams such as IOW, Exeter, Reading and Newport who always used to vote against the qualifiers when it was on the AGM agenda to bring them back.
So 4 clubs that are no longer in the PL are the reason they dont have qualifiers. Pull the other one! Someone else must be against them or they'd be back now.

I'm shocked Newport were against them, I remember a huge crowd at Newport in '99. And Phillipe Berge was flipping awesome for IOW. The next day at Exeter Mark Simmonds hit Frank Smarts bake wheels and flew over the fence and out of the stadium and had to climb back into the stadium up a ladder with a broken thigh! I'm sure Emil Lindqvist was unbeaten at Arena Essex too. Why can I remember pointless stuff like this from 1999 but when I just rung up the garage about my car I was unable to recall the regestration number!

This method of selection favours teams who build top heavy - ironic that we won it last year with a strength in depth approach yet this year can't defend our title!

This method of selection favours teams who build top heavy - ironic that we won it last year with a strength in depth approach yet this year can't defend our title!

Workington , Newcastle, Somerset, - top heavy teams :rofl: don't be silly !!!!

Did Ippo not only qualify last year because of newcastles injurys??

Workington , Newcastle, Somerset, - top heavy teams :rofl: don't be silly !!!!

To be fair, they are. Ok the fiurst two managed to sign good reserves on low averages too but they used up lots of points on their top 4.

The eight qualifying clubs are now known. Plymouth, Somerset, Workington, Newcastle, Berwick, Leicester, Glasgow and Scunthorpe will all do battle over two semi-finals.

They have used May’s averages in June as the cut-off for qualification.

Sadly, the current champions will not be in a position to defend their title which is a disappointment.

There is an argument of course that qualification should be based on the combined averages of the top five, as of course each team will be tracking FIVE, not four riders each. Had that been the case, then it would be Ipswich and not Berwick that would have qualified.

It isn't of course, so we will just have to live with it!!!

I sympathize with Ipswich,as Champions they surely deserve the chance to defend that title.Berwick suffered the same thing a few seasons ago,they won the 4TT at Coventry but werent allowed the chance to defend that title.

Easy answer of course,qualifiers,I mean just how hard can it be.

• Like 1

Disappointed that Rye House aren't in it, but we wouldn't have won it anyway. Will decide nearer the time if I can be bothered to travel up.

Disappointed that Rye House aren't in it, but we wouldn't have won it anyway. Will decide nearer the time if I can be bothered to travel up.

My guess is that you will be going. I don't think that you been given any option. :wink:

Can anyone explain or know the criteria for this competition as it's been announced that the defending champions , Ipswich are not included this year !

Is this random , another strange authorititive decision or just plain stupidity !

Please advise if you have any ideas .

Can anyone explain or know the criteria for this competition as it's been announced that the defending champions , Ipswich are not included this year !

Is this random , another strange authorititive decision or just plain stupidity !

Please advise if you have any ideas .

Every year we all get kept in the dark , and every year supporters of the teams not selected get upset . The only fair way is to have a qualification competition , but we dont - we have this fiasco . Shouldn't really be called the PL fours , when not every team has a chance of winning it .

• Like 1

Pretty miffed that Rye House aren't included in the line up, but thems the qualification rules, so we'll have to put up with it... Seems odd that Ipswich won't be there to defend their crown and probably put a couple of hundred on the gate at the same time. Berwick have qualified, so I guess I'll be the designated driver!

• Like 1

My guess is that you will be going. I don't think that you been given any option. :wink:

You know her so well :rofl:

There will be a much smaller crowd without both Ipswich and Rye House. Disappointed we don't get the chance to defend our title.

Edited by London Witch