British Speedway Forum
stratton

Legends What Order?

Hi ww, gotta say the only times I've seen Howard Cole mentioned in speedway literature he is always identified as English e.g. Maurice Jones book on the World Final- Howard Cole appeared in1969 and is shown as English. Bob Hughes interesting case -does anyone know where he was born??

I'm sure that Bob Hughes was Welsh, and thinking about, so was Ivor Hughes.

As I said, Bob, I never knew that Howard Cole was Welsh, but he was born in Cardiff.

Steve

PS Just thought of another Welshman - Phil Vance.

I'm sure that Bob Hughes was Welsh, and thinking about, so was Ivor Hughes.

As I said, Bob, I never knew that Howard Cole was Welsh, but he was born in Cardiff.

Steve

PS Just thought of another Welshman - Phil Vance.

While 'youse' is on about it - what about Joe Hughes.

Is everybody named Hughes Welsh then-just like all Aussies are supposedly called Bruce. I can tell you of one Aussie who wasn't-Billy Hughes-Australian P.M. in WW1- and come to think of it he WAS Welsh. Not sure where I am going with this??

Is everybody named Hughes Welsh then-just like all Aussies are supposedly called Bruce.

What about Bruce Hughes, then??? :rofl:

Steve

I'm not sure where Howard Cole was born but he looked a lot like a rider name Kid Brodie ;)

Edited by Split

That must be it-Kid Bodie is English and Howard C. is Welsh-or maybe the other way round. BTW did they ever race against each other???????????????

• Like 1

I was going to say that nobody has put 1973 World Champion, Jerzy Szczakiel, on there list, but I didn't know how to spell his name :party:

If holder wins the wc this yeardoes that change peoples list of great aussies ? leapfrogging ward sanders crumb snr?

If holder wins the wc this yeardoes that change peoples list of great aussies ? leapfrogging ward sanders crumb snr?

Not sure - but it does mean he will have earned his Bread and Butter. :wink::rofl: :rofl:

A terrific rider and i hope he does it, Ward was never in front of him anyway on achievements those two will be battling WC out in the future.! If he wins it he will have to go above Sanders, Crump senior) and Adams.

A terrific rider and i hope he does it, Ward was never in front of him anyway on achievements those two will be battling WC out in the future.! If he wins it he will have to go above Sanders, Crump senior) and Adams.

...................and certainly not above that other antipodean one B. Briggs of NZ.

...................and certainly not above that other antipodean one B. Briggs of NZ.

No Briggo was the best of all time in my opinion WK!his record of 4 titles dosent show that but it is down too individual opinion i suppose.!
  • Like 1

No Briggo was the best of all time in my opinion WK!his record of 4 titles dosent show that but it is down too individual opinion i suppose.!

Well said sidney. :approve: :approve: :approve: