British Speedway Forum

MANY of the people I spoke to over the weekend said that, as in most European countries right now, people have less money to spend, some have been going to the Euro soccer championship but most significant was the lack of Polish representation. Last year they had Gollob, Hampel, Holta and Kolodziej. With TG on the decline and with Hampel out many of the fickle Polish fans, who want to see one of their own win, ducked out.

But it is a concern. Torun's league crowds are down by 3,000. Reason? Lack of a winning team I was told. However, GP at Torun is already a sell-out with only a few of the top priced seats still available and they will go shortly.

Tickets are too expensive for lots of Poles when you consider that casher at supermarket in Poland takes home about 1000 polish zloty a month paying 1/10 of it for speedway ticket is a lot there was a long discussion about that during yeaserdays GP,lots of people simply cant afford it

Edited by pawel115

MANY of the people I spoke to over the weekend said that, as in most European countries right now, people have less money to spend, some have been going to the Euro soccer championship but most significant was the lack of Polish representation. Last year they had Gollob, Hampel, Holta and Kolodziej. With TG on the decline and with Hampel out many of the fickle Polish fans, who want to see one of their own win, ducked out.

But it is a concern. Torun's league crowds are down by 3,000. Reason? Lack of a winning team I was told. However, GP at Torun is already a sell-out with only a few of the top priced seats still available and they will go shortly.

Interesting to see another poor crowd in Poland for the 1st round of the world cup.On paper this meeting seems to have the lot,Home nation Poland involved,the meeting at Bydgoszcz in Polands speedway heartland and a venue without a GP for 2 years,Bydgoszcz legend Gollob returning,cheap ticket prices and good weather.I'm sure the organisers will be disappointed this event has not caught the Polish public's imagination.

Interesting to see another poor crowd in Poland for the 1st round of the world cup.On paper this meeting seems to have the lot,Home nation Poland involved,the meeting at Bydgoszcz in Polands speedway heartland and a venue without a GP for 2 years,Bydgoszcz legend Gollob returning,cheap ticket prices and good weather.I'm sure the organisers will be disappointed this event has not caught the Polish public's imagination.

I was thinking the same thing with the camera shot of the empty seats in front of the start.

"Cheap ticket prices"..."empty seats in front of the start".

It was £50 to sit in the main stand!

"Cheap ticket prices"..."empty seats in front of the start".

It was £50 to sit in the main stand!

90% of the tickets were priced at 35 and 40 zlotys roughly 7 and 8 pounds.Baring giving them away don't see how they can be much cheaper ! Edited by New Science

130,000 fans watched Peter Collins win the 1976 world title in Poland, where have they all gone?

I was there last night and would estimate a crowd of 7k.

Ticket price was £8 bar the covered stand which was £40.

Great meeting though and they got lucky weather wise as 90minutes after it finished it hosed it down with a torrential thunder and lightening storm.

130,000 fans watched Peter Collins win the 1976 world title in Poland, where have they all gone?

England?

• Like 5

i went to the the czech gp and it was full pretty much all the way round except for the big main stand where the expensive tickets were , when you can watch a czech league match for around £3 on the day before its hardly surprising that many czechs didnt want or could afford to pay £50+ to sit and watch a gp

I think a lot of the empty seats are down to the price, its just far too expensive, Parken the other year was just a complete joke.

I think the GP's have a lot going for them but it is very expensive and its certainly not the riders who are earning out of it.

I have been speaking to my Polish neighbours and avid speedway followers about this. The answers they gave were straight forward and understandable

The main was the shortage of money as we all are suffering - my friend did say his relatives at home have been complaining abou rising costs over last few seasons

Why are three GP's needed in Poland - yes in better financial times but now?

Falling league crowds - young people are now enjoying many of the freedoms we took for granted and are spending money like here on different things X - box's etc again understandable

On World Finals under communist block you had little choice - he tells me a meeting ticket was in your pay packet and the cost deducted from the wage.

As I say this was the points put out by a England based Pole - Could be right might be wrong but was interesting listening to another side of a sport

Another worrying sign last night with blocks of empty seats at Gorzow for the Polish GP.Reading the speedway star the crowds in Poland seem to be significantly down in League racing.With only a 17,000 capacity this is the 2nd round in Poland which has attracted a below par crowd. Traditionally the Gorzow club used to fill this stadium with their own supporters for league matches,could the Poles be falling out of love with speedway ?.BSI may be thinking twice about potentially taking the Sgp to a huge stadium in Warsaw away of the speedway heartlands.What with the increased costs and having to promote it themselves this would be a large financial gamble.

They've had a couple of GPs at Slaski Stadium, Chorzow . Big Stadium, temp track but on both occasions the attendance was very diasappointing and that was pre recession, so I should think we can forget about Warsaw.

Crowds do look down in general which is understandable in the economic climate I suppose,Cardiff will be the real test if the trend is down

Organisers must be scratching their heads (like me) at another poor crowd at this years world cup final.Predictions from the SKY commentary on Thursday that there wouldn't be a ticket to had proved wide of the mark. Disappointing as the hosts were seeded direct through to the final and selling all tickets as duel tickets which included race off and final.Listening to Paul Bellamy last night it seems Prague might be the hosts next year.Seeding the czech's to the final effectively makes the final a 3 team event and wont ensure a good crowd,only the participation of the Pole's and their travelling fans will ensure that.Think some serious thinking needs to be done about the venues and particularly seeding host teams to the final as this year the hosts Didn't attract the crowds expected or offer much competition in the final.Wanting to take the event to other countries is admirable but if financially it makes sense to hold it in the major nations and it avoids seeding then so be it.Rumour had it that the world cup was coming to Britain next year,Has this idea gone cold ?.