British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Speedway World Cup 2012

Don't build my hopes up.......... :D

Well, if the startline girls are a reflection of the strength of the host speedway team, Monday should see a startline girl line up of:

• Hilda Baker
  • Irene Handle
  • Rita Webb &
  • Peggy Mount

Am I showing my age or what????

Sad thing is, I remember them all too... Anyway, I think I'd put Dandy Nichols in instead of Irene Handl...

Steve

Great story about irene Handl told by Alan Bennett in his book "Writing Home";-

John Fortune was once in a TV show with Irene Handl. It involved color separation, a technique then in its infancy, and the enthusiastic young director thought he should explain the process to Miss Handl at the outset.

Swathed in a fur tippet and carrying at least two Pekingese, the dumpy old lady listened patiently while he embarked on a lecture about electronics. Eventually, she interrupts: 'Excuse me, dear, but I think you're confusing me with one of those actresses who gives a f**k'

Edited by pugwash
  • Like 1

Great story about irene Handl told by Alan Bennett in his book "Writing Home";-

John Fortune was once in a TV show with Irene Handl. It involved color separation, a technique then in its infancy, and the enthusiastic young director thought he should explain the process to Miss Handl at the outset.

Swathed in a fur tippet and carrying at least two Pekingese, the dumpy old lady listened patiently while he embarked on a lecture about electronics. Eventually, she interrupts: 'Excuse me, dear, but I think you're confusing me with one of those actresses who gives a f**k'

Priceless

just a heads up for those who are going to Målilla this week.

As mentioned before there have been allot of rain in the area. With flooding and flushed away roads as a result

This means that currently the road (road 40) between Eksjö-Mariannelund-Vimmerby have very limited accessibility (flooding).

and the road between Mariannelund and Hultsfred (road 129) are closed until further notice.

see this map for current info.

There's two different things here. The Russians had 63 points available to them (as did the Americans) but the Poles and Danes only had 60. Taking off their three extra points, two teams scored more than the Russians so how can the Russians have been the 'best team'?

But yes, they deserved their win in as much as it was within the rules. Personally, I'd like to see a team 8 points down before being allowed to play a Joker.

Define 'best' as 'best' does not always equate to points or goals or anything else regarding scores as it is a highly subjective term.

And to be fair I never claimed anyone was the best team that night. Simply Russia deserved their win.

The Russians won two out of the five phases of the meeting #1 and #2.

The Poles two #4 and #5 (with a huge slice of luck) and the Danes one #3.

Russia were coasting to a third win in the last phase when Laguta clipped the fence whilst leading by a mile which gifted the Poles and the Danes a point they did not deserve.

Minus the Joker that would have made the scores R 34, P 33, D 32.

So the Russians got as bit of bad luck and the Poles and Danes some good.

So does that mean Denmark were better because they got a jammy point they did not deserve or Russia were worse because they used a rule that has been used for ages now by all the teams in WTC including I am sure at some stage Denmark and Poland.

So is it OK when they use a joker but not Russia?

Russia had the b##t rider that night and he got decent support from his team resulting in them winning with a joker and narrowly missing out on winning without one by a slice of awful luck.

What do these guys have to do to get a bit of credit.

Win the meeting from the 15 yard mark :rofl:

I think the joker is a bloody stupid idea myself but it's there to be used if and when required.

Would Poland and Denmark have refused one if it had fell for them in heat 16?

I don't believe that Poland or Denmark were 'better' than Russia.

Denmark had more lasts and only the same wins as Russia not including heat #19.

Poland had most wins but more lasts than Russia which included heat #19.

What does that prove? Bugger all.

'Best' is a meaningless term as it depends on your perspective. I was supporting Russia so admit bias.

I want them to win if GB can't.

They won the meeting fairly and squarely and deserve credit for doing that in a meeting which had Poland as dead certs to go through.

It's like saying Mark Loram did not deserve his world championship because he never won a GP.

I hope GB win tonight and don't care whether they win by tape exclusions or engine failures or simply by winning races fair and square.

The 'best' team tonight is probably Australia but I hope that it ends in tears for them :)

Edited by pandorum

I hope GB win tonight and don't care whether they win by tape exclusions or engine failures or simply by winning races fair and square.

The 'best' team tonight is probably Australia but I hope that it ends in tears for them :)

Engine failures it was.

just a heads up for those who are going to Målilla this week.

see this map for current info.

Thanks for the information. We'll be driving from Gothenburg Airport in the late morning / afternoon on Thursday, and keeping fingers crossed ;-)

Our first route will be to the hotel maybe via lunch by the lake in Jonkoping and a detour to go past Mariannelund before coming back towards Hultsfred and then the second route will be from the hotel to the track. We can but give it all a go and allow ourselves as much time as possible.

Edited by uk_martin

Craig Ackroyd refereeing both the race-off and the Final.

glad its not the ref from yesterday, how did he get a job?