British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dukes

Old Riders

We know who the youngsters are, but what about the Grandaddies of our sport.

Any takers out their for the oldest rider to represent a team, ( Be it Conference, Premier, Elite, British League, National league or what)

Without looking up dates at the moment (I'm at work!), I think Ron Johnson, Geoff Pymar and Wal Morton all rode for teams when in their 50s.

It's an interesting question. I look forward to more responses.

Alec Gilroy rode in some Youth Development(!) and individual meetings at Linlithgow, Glasgow and Edinburgh a few years ago and still does the occasional 2nd half I believe. He's in his early 60's!

Thats what he did after the Rovers Return then is it. I thought he worked on a cruise ship :D:D

Edited by Jeff.

Jimmy Squibb was certainly no spring chicken when he rode for Canterbury - does someone know how old he actually was?

I remember Ron Johnson riding for the Edinburgh Monarchs when, if I'm not mistaken (there has to be a first time!), he was in or approaching his 60s.

He didn't last long however and it's just as well Ian Hoskins pulled the plug on this last chapter in his career. There was a sense of horror every time he took to the track because his arms were clearly not strong enough to hold on to the machine properly and he was a dreadful accident just waiting to happen.

I think he frightened the other riders in the race as much as the spectators although you had to admire his guts for giving it a go if not his common sense!

in a couple of seasons we will see how carr and schott compare to the great ron johnson

Out of interest...Just found this on an old thread from Ian H:

Ron Johnson at New Cross and Edinburgh 1960/61. Ron had been there done it etc since 1927. I remember Ron having a match race with Geoff Pymar which must have been a record for the oldest combined age for riders who were still riding for league teams as opposed to Golden Greats etc type meetings. You still have to admire them though - it must be in the blood.

Ken McKinley must have been pretty old when he retired. He was just some old bloke in a bobble hat to me when I started going in the seventies.

I believe Jimmy Squibb was 53 years old when he wore Canterbury colours in 1975, having started riding at Southampton in 1947.

Jimmy Squibb was born in 1920 according to the Cradley web site.

I remember reading about a couple of old fellas still having a spin on the Californian scene not so many years ago. Both approaching seventy.

Tom Castagnola was one, I have spoken to his Daughter via the net recently and I believe ha has finally called it a day, interestingly Tom was also a preacher.