British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dukes

Old Riders

Hi Trackman

Think the great Jack Parker was only about 47 when he retired

Guest Rod King
Saw Jimmy Mc Millan ride a couple of years ago, He was super fast .won every race :o

I don't know about Old Riders but including Jim McMillan makes ME feel very old - I saw Jim when he was starting out as a second-halfer at White City in Glasgow! Pass me the zimmer frame!

Les Collins has your zimmer you will probably catch up wih him at workington this year machanicing for aden

Of riders currently competing in Britain on a regular basis Rob Hollingworth must take some beating. I reckon he is 48-49. As he rode for both Poole and Belle Vue last year, is he the oldest rider to appear for an ELITE leaague team ????

Many years ago a friend told me that the oldest rider he could remember was George Newton, who was a pre-war leg-trailer who returned in the 1940s. Apparently my friend had been on the track staff at Old Meadowbank one night when George fell. They ran over to help him up and he was really feeling his age.

No doubt Norbold will know more about him.

Ian Hoskins is alive and well and living in New Zealand now.

So he won't want to reopen Canterbury, then? How close was I on his age?!!

Have a look at this web site. There's a picture of Ian Hoskins at the 2003 Veteran Speedway Riders' Association reunion.

http://www.vsra.homestead.com/index.html

Guest Rod King
Have a look at this web site. There's a picture of Ian Hoskins at the 2003 Veteran Speedway Riders' Association reunion.

http://www.vsra.homestead.com/index.html

Many thanks - I bet he could still wind up a Glasgow crowd if he set his mind to it!

No doubt about it. The last of the great showmen. This was a guy who really knew how to promote and get the crowd involved. By the looks of the photograph he could still do it even if he is in his seventies.

No doubt :rolleyes:

'Wee' Georgie Newton was knocking on a bit Ian, but in his day he was a very popular and much loved rider with the New Cross fans down off the Old Kent Road. :approve:

Not sure if he was the oldest, but as previously mentioned Wal Morton would be thereabouts methinks. :)

Edited by newxranger

Many years ago a friend told me that the oldest rider he could remember was George Newton, who was a pre-war leg-trailer who returned in the 1940s. Apparently my friend had been on the track staff at Old Meadowbank one night when George fell. They ran over to help him up and he was really feeling his age.

George Newton - now there was a rider! One of the most spectacular leg trailers ever by all accounts. Just wish I'd seen him.

He was born in 1913 and retired at the end of the 1952 season so he was a mere lad of 39 on his retirement. Not a candidate for one of the oldest riders ever.

He began his career at West Ham, equalling Vic Huxley's track record in his very first match. He moved on to Crystal Palace and had some outings at Eastbourne. When Crystal Palace moved to New Cross Georgie went with. His best period was between 1936 and 1938 but then he contracted tuberculosis and did not ride again until 1948 when he turned out once again for New Cross (minus a lung and several ribs).

He moved on to Fleetwood then Walthamstow. In 1951 he transferred to Liverpool and he finished his career in 1952 at St Austell, taking over the role of team manager on his retirement.

Before the War he was one of England's top riders, reaching all three World Finals and represented England in three Test series.

He was never the same after his illness but he was still a force to be reckoned with in the second division.

Norbold if you have the time could you compile a list of riders and their ages for this thread as I'm getting lost as to who is the eldest now :unsure: ty xx :wink:

Well I don't think there's much doubt that Bill Thomas must have been the oldest rider riding in league speedway.

But if we're talking about British leagues, that's still open. I will try and check on ages over the week end and see what I can come up with.

Norbold you are such a sweetie I'll buy you a shandy next month :wink:

Hi Shazzybird

I last took my bike around Kings Lynn just before my 72 birthday if thats any good.

But it wasn't a league match so I suppose that it doesn't count.

Edited by Team Man

Geoff Pymar had a ride round King's Lynn when he was about 88 I think.

Not a league match either....