British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Thanks To Google Translate...

Poor old Google Translate. Now and again in an effort to serve us well, it throws up a couple of howlers. Usually, it's where names are translated straight into English when of course, the software isn't aware that it's a name at all.

Here's a couple that amused me...

Adrian Digits = Adrian Cyfer (Stal Gorzow)

David Leopard = Dawid Lampart

Joseph Snuff = Josef Tabaka

What have you found that Google Translate has come up with that has made you smile?

Pawel Tschajka-Paul Seagulls

Think if i remember rightly Peter Kildemand comes out as Peter Source man

And anyone with the name Roman usually translates as Novel...from Russian and of course my mate Conkers fell foul of google when translating Vasili from Russian and getting two Ice racers with the unlikely first name of Basil :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by iris123

I know what you mean I put "Poole Pirates" ... "Matt Ford" into the english bit as asked it to translate to Polish it came up with ............

"Cheatynortyski Sailorski" & "Bendyski Ruleski" ... made me chuckle as well :P

• Like 1

Pawel Tschajka

Funny that Google translate cant even get the birds name right i assume this was from polish(i use to be into ornitology)

Czajka is Northern Lapwing

Mewa is polish for Seagull

No,direct from Russian!!

And the other funny thing is points -glasses from Russian.So i was wondering what the hell they were going on about at first when a certain rider got 3 glasses from a heat!!!!

And we also recently had the translation of Vladivostok into strangely either Peking or Beijing or i think The East.Very strange that it couldn't make its mind up one one or the other...

Edited by iris123

Acknowledgements to Racers and Royals who put up this gem on the 24th of June.

Google translation of the 1st heat Tarnow v Rzeszow

Lineups confirmed. Gomólski in place of the leopard. In Tarnow saints beautiful sunshine. Tribune tightly filled by fans - the stadium is about 14 thousand spectators. The presentation was over. II kit. A good start Janowski, who did not give guidance to the finish line. Jamróg made ​​a mistake, which fell into the Gaschka. Both men quickly got up from the track. With a repeat guest player excluded. Players are able to continue driving. Replacement of a faulty module is being inflatable cushion

Beat that you cannot! (but keep them coming :lol: )

Regards. Alan.

Kolodziej is wheeler

Kret (last year reserve at Rzeszow) was mole

My favourite is Simon Sausage for Szymon Kielbasa

(null)

• Like 1

Was reading a translated story about Rzeszow on Sportowfakty a few weeks ago where I was rather shocked at the translation of Marta Poltorak's (club owner) surname, I'm sure she didn't deserve the swear word that her name was translated to! That remains the most outrageous name translation I have found so far!

My favourite is Roman Povazhny when coming from Russian Cyrillic. It seems to go to "more important than romance" :)

• Like 1

I usually use Google translation and then fix the mistakes and leave names alone.

I think the all time best translation was an article about David Kujawa when he left Newport many years ago.Generally i wonder why people just post a translation and not tidy them up,but this was superb as it was

I think the all time best translation was an article about David Kujawa when he left Newport many years ago.Generally i wonder why people just post a translation and not tidy them up,but this was superb as it was

With the way people write and spell on here they probably think that is the English version(obviously don`t include myself in that) :lol:

• Like 2