British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

World Cup - Too Frequent? Alternatives.

My son thinks, and I must say I agree with him, that the Speedway World Cup every year is too much. The World Cup should be special - therefore I would propose that it came round every THREE years. That would be Year One.

Year Two could be a Speedway 'World Pairs' Championship - again to be run every THREE years.

Finally - Year Three I would suggest a 'World Four Team Tournament'.

Year Four back to the 'Speedway World Cup'.

This is just a suggestion to try to keep World Events special and memorable.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

World Cup is special.......one of the best events of the year,each year.Why try and fit speedway intoa pattern that suits football for obvious reasons of the amount of countries entering?Speedway + football are totally different.Could say why have Wimbledon or Tour de France every year.........crack pot idea :D

• Like 2

Wouldnt the Speedway World Cup and a Speedway World Four team tournement be pretty much the same thing as the format is similar 4 man teams etc?

I think they should have a week long 7 man per team tournement. The top 8 nations E.g Poland, Sweden, Australia, Denmark, Great Britain, Czech Republic, Russia and the USA into a random draw this tournement could be held in a certain country at different tracks all over it.

Sunday: Team 1 vs Team 2

Monday: Team 3 vs Team 4

Tuesday: Team 5 vs Team 6

Wednesday: Team 7 vs Team 8

Thursday: Winner of Sunday vs Winner of Monday

Friday: Winner of Tuesday vs Winner of Wednesday

Saturday: Winners of Thursday vs Winners of Friday to crown the Champions.

Teams for Example

Poland

Gollob

Kolodziej

Kasprzak

Walasek

Hampel

Protasiewicz

Janowski

Sweden

Jonsson

Ljung

Lindback

Jonasson

Lindgren

Davidsson

Sundstrom

Aussies

Crump

Batchelor

Ward

Watt

Holder

Sullivan

Woodward

Denmark

N Pedersen

Iversen

B Pedersen

K Bjerre

Andersen

Jepsen Jensen

Jensen

Great Britain

Harris

Kennett

Woffinden

King

Nicholls

Bridger

Barker

Czech Republic

L Dryml

Milik

A Dryml

Franc

Kus

Simota

Sitera

Russia

E Sayfutdinov

Gafurov

A Laguta

Povazhny

G Laguta

Gizatulin

Ivanov

USA

Hancock

Wells

Fisher

Ingalls

Hamill

Janniro

Burmeister

Some of the meeting could be one sided ones but it would be something different its just my opinion of course.

Edited by Superstar1

Superstar1 - Wouldnt the Speedway World Cup and a Speedway World Four team tournement be pretty much the same thing as the format is similar 4 man teams etc?

It would not the way I envision it. A Four Team Tournament with TWO Riders from each Team competing in the Races.

Say it was a Meeting between the following:

TeamGB, Russia, Denmark, Poland.

First Race would be two Riders from each Team. TeamGB v Russia, Heat 2) Denmark v Poland and so on.

It could be done and it would certainly encourage Team Riding.

That is my thinking Superstar1.

Edited by The White Knight

Sunday: Team 1 vs Team 2

Monday: Team 3 vs Team 4

Tuesday: Team 5 vs Team 6

Wednesday: Team 7 vs Team 8

Thursday: Winner of Sunday vs Winner of Monday

Friday: Winner of Tuesday vs Winner of Wednesday

Saturday: Winners of Thursday vs Winners of Friday to crown the Champions.

I'm sure the sports authorities look forward to receiving your cheque to underwrite almost all of those meetings!

I think the World Cup is special.....just look at the racing it produces and EVERY year. The competition is to find the best team in the world so why not a yearly meeting? same as Gp to find the best rider yearly. Looking forward to Raceoff tomorrow night...come on your Brits oh yer and Tai!! :lol:

• Like 5

I would like to see more teams involved in the qualifying stage but why change a winning format.

SWC is one of the events of the year so leave it alone I say :)

No good trying to use other sports as a guide as they have plenty of money so can afford to have things once every four years.

Speedway is the poor relation and it gives the riders as well as the fans something to take pride in.

• Like 1

If its special why would you want it less often?? If you enjoy a beer or a whiskey or a curry etc do you think thats really special I better not have another one for a month or two? :blink:

This forum is amazing, about the only events in the sport that draw big crowds and usually provide great racing are the SGP, SWC and the Elite League play offs. Amazingly the luddites usually suggest doing away with these events.

• Like 2

Given that the SWC produces by far the best speedway of the season, we should definitely cut it back to once every four years, then we'll have something to really look forward to.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

LEAVE THE WORLD CUP AS IT IS!

It's easily the best event of the year, provides big crowds, and top top racing. To change it would be madness

• Like 2

Given that the SWC produces by far the best speedway of the season, we should definitely cut it back to once every four years, then we'll have something to really look forward to.

Very true...the Haley's Comet of Speedway

Definitely once every 4 years and then have a one-off world final inbetween too.

• Like 1

Every year, but each team with a reserve is all the tweaking required. And if the reserve is used to replace a rider 'feigning' injury or just off-form, so what?!

Edited by Bomo1