British Speedway Forum

In a world cup final in whatever sport it is the winning team is the one that scores the most points,run or goals etc., off scratch

The joker must never be used again in a World Team Cup again. If it was a proper world championship then the results woud be in the national papers. With rules like these Speedway is only one degree up from Professional Wrestling.

Word was that Ryan was unavailable that weekend anyway, rumoured to be moving house. As for the rest of the criticism of the Oz Team, it's more a reflection on the posters themselves - none of these armchair critics ever miss a chance to slag off the Aussies, that is when they're not slagging off their own country's riders.

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/298620/ryan-sullivan-jestem-troche-zdegustowany

Sullivan wanted to ride but Lemon never picked him.

And, of course, it does help to create some excitement and closer finishes however false and unsavoury that may be to some British fans and, it would seem, several BSF posters. Speedway is in the entertainment business and TV audiences are an essential component and these days the tail often wags the dog.

Thats a bit unfair (PR) :sad: I think its because we tend to favour RACERS and not gaters!! , and lets face it thats the way the track is prepared more often than not and why newbies to the sport always say '1st from gate wins'. I'd rather see a RACE anyday regardless of outcome.Not giving into tactics seems to be an "everlasting" trait with the Brits, they hardly ever fall off when pushed etc.....preferring to try and RACE!! Hopefully Team GB will never resort to those tactics and even worse by slowing down on final bends etc like in World Cup, just to win. Thank Goodness :approve:

Salty said:

Easier said than done. I think, if it has to stay, then making it an 8 point gap before the joker can be used is a way forward, as that does reduce the possible affect of a 6 point haul. In Event 1 the Russians were able to move from 6 points behind to joint leaders in just one race. When the joker can have such a pronounced affect it is more likely you will see manipulation to allow it's use.

this is the best way forward....

the nonsense at the weekend happened at the point where the Aussies were 5 behind and about to go 6 behind

If the joker couldnt be played until 8 behind then not only does it mean that even with a 6 pointer being registered that the leading team will be somewhere between 2 and 4 points in front......... but it also means that when a team is 7 points behind the leaders wont behave so desperately

Edited by spook

With regard to the Joker. On the first count of race manipulation, of course both BSI and the FIM (particularly Race Director Tony Olsson and referee Craig Ackroyd) were unhappy and were discussing various options immediately after the meeting. It soured the Final (although not the result in my opinion) and obviously needs to be tackled.

As to the Joker itself, I think it is fair to say, although I have no firm evidence to support it, that the displeasure with the whole Joker scenario is more prevalent in the UK than abroad. That could have much to do with the actual title (slightly different connotation in other languages) and because for us it tends to be synonymous with It's A Knockout.

And, of course, it does help to create some excitement and closer finishes however false and unsavoury that may be to some British fans and, it would seem, several BSF posters. Speedway is in the entertainment business and TV audiences are an essential component and these days the tail often wags the dog.

If I had to lay money now I doubt whether the Joker is going away anytime soon but to ensure it has any credibility the ability of teams to manoeuvre the score to suit either themselves or to disadvantage the opposition by illegal means must be removed.

That is sad that they joker is to stay. If you personally don't like it, which you stated in a later post, maybe the Speedway Star could lead a campaign to ditch the joker. Most fans don't seem to like it, so most fans would support such a campaign. Lets remind BSI that the fans matter, not just the TV.

I don't think it is to do with just us British not liking it, the riders did not seem too keen when interviewed. The joker in its current guise is totally unfair, it penalises the successful team, when a team simply not good enough in earlier races can regain the points in one swoop another team as worked hard to take, therefore it is not a level playing field. If the joker can be used, it should be tactical in that if one team chooses to use the joker when X points behind, all other teams can use the joker as well in the following heats, regardless of the points. That way it becomes a tactical gamble and would add some excitement, and should stop teams trying to avoid the joker like on Saturday, because they would be allowed the chance to recapture the points themselves, making it a level playing field.

But then I still enjoy test cricket although would not argue that it is generally more exciting that 20-20.

Exactly.

Sports need to entertain. If this requires gadgets, then use the gadgets, BUT NOT AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL. If the broadcaster demands that league meetings are closer, then, perhaps, the TR must remain, hated though it might be by the purists, but other sports make a differentiation between levels.

There are no fielding restrictions in test cricket. There are none of the 'speed-snooker' criteria at the World Championships. No bonus points for scoring more tries in Rugby Union. These gadgets might all make their respective sports more attractive at league or club level, but the highest level of international competition in any sport should be 'pure'.

• Like 1

There are no fielding restrictions in test cricket.

If I was you I'd check Law 41:5: LIMITATION OF ON SIDE FIELDER: