British Speedway Forum
stratton

Peterborough 1977.

Was looking through some old stats in 1977, Peterborough had a no 1 with a ave of 7.83 and a number 7 with a ave of 6.35.Would never happen now would it, was amazed really I remember Sheffield in 73 having a similar average scenario. Averages. 1. Hines 7.83. 2.Clark 7.47. 3.Hawkins 7.37. 4.Flat man 7.08. 5.B.Clark. 6.99. 6.Cousins 6.50. 7.Matthews 6.35.The national league teams seemed to have closer averages or am I imagining it.?

Was looking through some old stats in 1977, Peterborough had a no 1 with a ave of 7.83 and a number 7 with a ave of 6.35.Would never happen now would it, was amazed really I remember Sheffield in 73 having a similar average scenario. Averages. 1. Hines 7.83. 2.Clark 7.47. 3.Hawkins 7.37. 4.Flat man 7.08. 5.B.Clark. 6.99. 6.Cousins 6.50. 7.Matthews 6.35.The national league teams seemed to have closer averages or am I imagining it.?

Canny Team that sidney. :approve: :approve:

Was looking through some old stats in 1977, Peterborough had a no 1 with a ave of 7.83 and a number 7 with a ave of 6.35

But it meaningless unless it's to demonstarte that it was a successsful team structure. - ?

So I looked it up. P'boro were 5th that year, - so not recommended.

But it meaningless unless it's to demonstarte that it was a successsful team structure. - ?

Not bad britmet 5th, bearing in mind Newcastle were the kings with legends the Owen brothers .You think with a month left at least 3 of there riders could of reached the NLRC.

Not bad britmet 5th, bearing in mind Newcastle were the kings with legends the Owen brothers .You think with a month left at least 3 of there riders could of reached the NLRC.

Surely only 1 of them could have made it? And even then possibly as reserve with those averages.Not sure how many teams were there that year though....

Didn't Hull win the National/Premier league once with a team of that sort of make up?

Surely only 1 of them could have made it? And even then possibly as reserve with those averages.Not sure how many teams were there that year though....

Always thought then Iris the no 1 in the averages always got in? not the top 16 averages? Sometimes Tom Owen would average 10 plus but Joe would mostly be no 1.

Joe had gone British League in 1977.

Bear in mind the points limit was way higher. I'm sure the Diamonds had three 10+ riders in 1976.

Joe had gone British League in 1977.

Bear in mind the points limit was way higher. I'm sure the Diamonds had three 10+ riders in 1976.

Who was it bacca ? Joe near 11 ,Tom 10 plus , was Henderson 8 plus? Later on did Hunter average10 plus and Bargh and Thorpe were big hitters.

My memory is incorrect. In my defence I was only 13 and they all seemed invincible to me

Joe 11.54 (they would bring in a rule to stop him now!)

Tom 10.43

Ron 8.33 (but his home average was over 10)

My memory is incorrect. In my defence I was only 13 and they all seemed invincible to me

Joe 11.54 (they would bring in a rule to stop him now!)

Tom 10.43

Ron 8.33 (but his home average was over 10)

Well Bacca not to worry I totally forgot Joe had gone full time British league.I always remember in 1979 I think, the robins v Hull drawing 39.39 all Sigalos getting a 15 max (from reserve).I remember i was gutted as I was a big Joe fan ,and he didn't arrive he was a very good rider no doubt about it remember his black leathers with the White stars over the years Newcastle have had some great riders a awesome history.

They were the best leathers ever. No doubt about that.

Who was it bacca ? Joe near 11 ,Tom 10 plus , was Henderson 8 plus? Later on did Hunter average10 plus and Bargh and Thorpe were big hitters.

I think you are referring to the 1983 Diamonds, Averages -Joe Owen 11.10 Rod Hunter 10.50 & Bobby Beaton 10.20 the three combined to score over 1,500 points over the season !