British Speedway Forum

A million quid isn't that much these days though, and I'd doubt someone of Crump's age could realistically retire on it.

Don't tell Tsunami that. He still believes 30k for a proper safety fence is too much for most speedway promotions to find. :D

He's had a 20+ year career at or near the top, and top riders were reportedly earning 100K+ per year even 10 years ago.

A million quid isn't that much these days though, and I'd doubt someone of Crump's age could realistically retire on it.

crump has been coining it in. most prob been banking 500k plus profit for a very long time.

lets put it this way, he is not poor :-)

I would imagine it's probably complete tosh, but I heard from somewhere that Jason is actually a millionaire? I was told though that this wasn't directly as a result of speedway racing - I think it would be nigh on impossible for a rider to amass that much. Even if you're Gollob...

It was suggested that the top guys were earning 125k in the EL about 5 years ago. Poland tops that too. So a million is probably not far short. Plus I'm guessing most riders have their fingers in a number of pies so to speak. Gollob owns a few petrol stations while AJ has an import company based in Poland I believe. I would imagine any rider who is just riding Sweden, Poland and the GP's is doing something with his time the other 5 days a week.

Don't tell Tsunami that. He still believes 30k for a proper safety fence is too much for most speedway promotions to find. :D

If a business is on the margins of existence with little prospect of things picking up, then even relatively small investments are difficult to make. Plus of course, even if the promoter could personally afford the money, it may not be justifiable from a business perspective.

A rider is potentially retired for 30-40 years though, so even without taking inflation into account, a million probably wouldn't generate more than 25-30k income per year allowing for inflation.

Of course riders can go and find other jobs like the rest of us, but what real world job can they honestly do after riding speedway for 20 years? If they've been sensible they'll have developed some useful business contacts, invested in property, and possibly even established some sidelines. That's only for a few though...

A rider is potentially retired for 30-40 years though, so even without taking inflation into account, a million probably wouldn't generate more than 25-30k income per year allowing for inflation.

Of course riders can go and find other jobs like the rest of us, but what real world job can they honestly do after riding speedway for 20 years? If they've been sensible they'll have developed some useful business contacts, invested in property, and possibly even established some sidelines. That's only for a few though...

As I said unless they have been financially naive....

Pension rules are somewhat different for professional sportsman. (dependant on residency of course)

Many are set up as Ltd companies I believe which gives them certain tax flexibilties.

Brown envelopes of course have tax free contents as well.(winking smiley)

All very different for those who are not / havent been top GP / international level riders granted. Much the same in relative terms as Premiership footballlers against League 1 journeymen.

Good luck to them as like everyone who straddles a speedway bike including Hans Andersen (perhaps not counting some deisel) they have EARNED every penny :)

I could abide Wuffy in the series at a pinch. He does not deserve a place just yet but he is one of the young upancomers and may well do himself justice in 2013 but any other Brit would be a joke.

There are more deserving candidates than him of course who have not had a chance in the SGP full time those newcomers above obviously and guys such as Greg Laguta.

I would prefer to see us miss out for 2013 and maybe 2014 as it might wake British Speedway up a bit.

yeah i'd hope it would wake us up a bit and force some of the riders to truly learn what is required..... although i'd want it full stop and not just for the next couple of years........ sadly though unless the series is Britless in 2013 and Cardiff still does well for attendance .... then I cant see IMG changing their policies

I think Woffinden's inclusion is inevitable. I don't think he deserves it and I'm sceptical over whether it will benefit him, but if BSI want a Brit, he's the only remotely justifiable option.

If the following 15 line up at the start of 2013, I think we're in for a fantastic GP season.

My 2013 GP Line Up

1. Chris Holder (Age at the start of 2013 season; 25)

2. Nicki Pedersen (35)

3. Greg Hancock (42)

4. Emil Sayfutdinov (23)

5. Tomasz Gollob (41)

6. Freddie Lindgren (27)

7. Antonio Lindback (27)

8. Andreas Jonsson (32)

SGP Challenge Qualifiers

9. Martin Vaculik (22)

10. Niels Kristian Iversen (30)

11. Michael Jepsen Jensen (21)

Wildcards

12. Jarek Hampel (30)

13. Darcy Ward (20)

14. Grigory Laguta (28)

15. Tai Woffinden (22)

Average Age= 28

Surely the youngest average age ever?

JT.

Edited by JT

Average Age= 28

Surely the youngest average age ever?

JT.

Have a look at the first ever GP in 1995 - only three riders over 30: Nielsen (35), Ermolenko (34) and Knudsen (33)

Josh Larsen youngest at 23. 75% of field between 24 and 30

Average - just over 27

• Like 1

Kasprzak

Zagar

Iversen

Wild cards now

Hampel ?

Ward?

? Vaculik

? Tai

Kasprzak

Zagar

Iversen

Wild cards now

Hampel ?

Ward?

? Vaculik

? Tai

THINK you might be right. Vaculik will be relieved Iversen made it.

Currently of the 11 we have

3 Swedes

2 Danes

2 Poles

1 Aussie

1 Russian

1 Slovenian

1 American

Hampel and Ward certs and Vaculik's performances deserve to get him a shot. Then it all depends on whether the series "needs" a Brit. If it is deemed that it does then I suppose Tai will get it more or less by default, but given his performances in the WTC and at Vojens I would give it MJJ.

• Like 1

Hampel and Ward certs and Vaculik's performances deserve to get him a shot. Then it all depends on whether the series "needs" a Brit. If it is deemed that it does then I suppose Tai will get it more or less by default, but given his performances in the WTC and at Vojens I would give it MJJ.

yeah i agree, rather MJJ then Tai.

Edited by Ghostwalker

THINK you might be right. Vaculik will be relieved Iversen made it.

Surely you're not suggesting Woffinden was ahead of Vaculik in BSI's WC plans?

Aside from nationality, and thus TV considerations, I can't think of a single reason why Woffinden should be in the series.

Come the announcement, BSI will come up with some comical excuse, as they have done with Harris in the past, but we all know the reason for sticking a Brit in the series EVERY year and it's nothing to do with form or talent.

Shame really.

JT.

Kasprzak

Zagar

Iversen

Wild cards now

Hampel ?

Ward?

? Vaculik

? Tai

I also think these will now be the four.