British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Leicester V Workington (koc) 19/08/12

i have asked the question why do riders return to the pits and the answer i got off the riders i asked was after a false start the clutch gets very hot and needs to be cooled down before they can restart or otherwise they can burn out and that could prove costly. other reasons are some fuel tanks only just hold enough for four laps and need to be topped up and the rear chain might need adjusting as they can go tight after a start and another start could result in the chain snapping which can be dangerous.i agree it is annoying but it seems they dont return to the pits just for the fun of it. .

• Like 1

i have asked the question why do riders return to the pits and the answer i got off the riders i asked was after a false start the clutch gets very hot and needs to be cooled down before they can restart or otherwise they can burn out and that could prove costly.

Spot on. If/when a clutch goes wrong, they are expensive to replace.

My own personal pet peeve is when referees/supporters seem to want to get a meeting over and done as soon as possible, so they can get home 5-10 minutes earlier. After a restart, I think a minimum of 2 minutes should be given to allow the rider(s) to sort out any issues. And if a rider is fallen, he should be given more time to clean out the chain, sort out the clutch, fuel up again, etc.

I've seen it happen far too often. A rider falls, not given enough time to get everything sorted, and then the bike lasts 30 metres.

It's not a matter of getting home 5-10 minutes earlier, for me it's the flow of the meeting and keeping punters interested.

If I wanted to stand around and look at an empty track or tractor racing I'd go to the countryside and look at a field... It's a hell of a lot cheaper!!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

I think you are wrong there. Barrow boy has always stuck up for Leicester so for him to say anything negative means he must have been really cheesed off. I won't mention any names but someone else I know was being critical as well so it really must have not been a very enjoyable evening.

You are spot on Gemini. I have as you say always defended the new Leicester and have been annoyed at times by the constant carping of some on here. I still am grateful to all those who have in any way contributed to the return of Leicester Lions and I will continue to attend as many home meetings as possible and will support all concerned in their efforts to ensure that the sport continues to prosper at Beaumont Park. Last night's meeting was however the most dire I have attended for the reasons already stated but I truly hope that this was just one of those nights.

Regarding the riders messing about at the starts, all it needs is a rule which allows the starting marshall to make the rider in gate 1 move up first followed by gates 2,3 & 4. Riders ignoring this instruction to be warned and then penalised by the referee for repeated offences.

• Like 1

You are spot on Gemini. I have as you say always defended the new Leicester and have been annoyed at times by the constant carping of some on here. I still am grateful to all those who have in any way contributed to the return of Leicester Lions and I will continue to attend as many home meetings as possible and will support all concerned in their efforts to ensure that the sport continues to prosper at Beaumont Park. Last night's meeting was however the most dire I have attended for the reasons already stated but I truly hope that this was just one of those nights.

Regarding the riders messing about at the starts, all it needs is a rule which allows the starting marshall to make the rider in gate 1 move up first followed by gates 2,3 & 4. Riders ignoring this instruction to be warned and then penalised by the referee for repeated offences.

ive been saying the same for years there should be a rule as where the start marshall moves riders in in a set order (nothing stopping the others to take there place before) as youve said maybe go gate 1 first then 2,3,4 or gate 1 then 4 then 2 then 3 but think its about time there was a procedure to follow which would make it easier to say who was delaying the start

I entirely agree with you the messing about at the start was the worst i have seen it , the start marshals might as well not have been there for all the notice anyone took of them, if they will not come to the tapes & are persistantly offending they should start excluding riders, then maybe they will co-operate more.This certainly made the meeting far longer than it should have taken, but i find it hard to understand why people put the blame on the promotion, it wasn' t them who caused heat 1 to take 3 attempts at it before it was completed, for example. The blame should lie firmly with the riders for all the messing about & with the referee who let them get away with it , after all he supposed to be in charge.
  • Like 1

barrow boy Last night's meeting was however the most dire I have attended for the reasons already stated but I truly hope that this was just one of those nights.

I do hope you weren't at Coventry tonight or watched the meeting on Sky. It probably made Leicester's look really exciting. :lol:

As most of you know I dont post on here anymore.

On Sunday night after the meeting I had a meeting with the team to sort out the track problem. So I removed the total surface of the track down to the type1 bace and put it in each corner (on the outside) this took me till 1.30am. Then this morning a sample of the dirt has gone to the Lab to give me a breakdown of whats in it or not. I feel that the fantastic drainage we have has washed the clay content out the surface as we have a few feet of clay in the bottom of each of the main drains. This has give us a very sandy surface which ruts up badly on turns 3/4 thats why we have a lot of grading. The riders have spoken, I have listened and we will sort the problem.

We have been able to run meetings in very wet condition but I fear we have a price to pay now to replace the track surface.

Cheers

• Like 6

I don't know Mr Helmsley, never met him, I don't even know his first name. Does he have children? If so wouldn't it be appropriate to take them away in holiday, or take them out of school between November and March when you have to fly half way around the world to get any decent weather?

Even if he doesn't have kids, doesn't the guy deserve a break?

I'm sure there are people quite capable of running the place for a week or two while Mr Helmsley is away.

Well said that man

• Like 1

As most of you know I dont post on here anymore.

On Sunday night after the meeting I had a meeting with the team to sort out the track problem. So I removed the total surface of the track down to the type1 bace and put it in each corner (on the outside) this took me till 1.30am. Then this morning a sample of the dirt has gone to the Lab to give me a breakdown of whats in it or not. I feel that the fantastic drainage we have has washed the clay content out the surface as we have a few feet of clay in the bottom of each of the main drains. This has give us a very sandy surface which ruts up badly on turns 3/4 thats why we have a lot of grading. The riders have spoken, I have listened and we will sort the problem.

We have been able to run meetings in very wet condition but I fear we have a price to pay now to replace the track surface.

Cheers

I think the promotion have failed to listen to the fans, that in itself is a bad mistake, the track shape should of been changed, the excuse was the riders like it, which riders like it? linus said its hard to pass if you dont make the start? it doesnt suit blackbird,lasse would like a track he could overtake on as he is not the best of gaters,nemo struggled to pass on sunday, so i dont buy it the riders dont want a change and what home advantage did they have on sunday?

its a shambles at BP, roll on the brit GP time to watch real speedway again

I think the promotion have failed to listen to the fans, that in itself is a bad mistake, the track shape should of been changed, the excuse was the riders like it, which riders like it? linus said its hard to pass if you dont make the start? it doesnt suit blackbird,lasse would like a track he could overtake on as he is not the best of gaters,nemo struggled to pass on sunday, so i dont buy it the riders dont want a change and what home advantage did they have on sunday?

its a shambles at BP, roll on the brit GP time to watch real speedway again

I think you're wrong! Apparently most of the riders agreed to leave the track as it was as it gave them an advantage. The fact that we're unbeaten in the league at home seems to back this up. Linus has only just joined the team so had no say in the matter. I think the same goes for Lewis. Lasse knew what it was like before he came so why come to a crap track? Nemo's been up and down of late, as has Magnuss, and this could be down to any number of things. I think I read that the track is due to be changed in November and if so, hopefully that will bring you the excellent racing you crave and stop your constant carping of how crap it all is at Leicester. I say hopefully because I do think there's more to it than just wide sweeping bends that create good racing.

BTW, I'd love to see passing and re-passing in every race but that's a rare occurance at any track. We've had some good meetings at BP this season and some poor ones and the track has stayed the same shape throughout. So, what's the difference between those meetings? The riders? Bike set up? Moisture content in the shale? A willingness to win? Shale depth? I don't have the answer, but if they do alter the shape in the close season, and the racing stays the same, I'm sure you'll be back on here to slag Leicester off Robert.

I think you're wrong! Apparently most of the riders agreed to leave the track as it was as it gave them an advantage. The fact that we're unbeaten in the league at home seems to back this up. Linus has only just joined the team so had no say in the matter. I think the same goes for Lewis. Lasse knew what it was like before he came so why come to a crap track? Nemo's been up and down of late, as has Magnuss, and this could be down to any number of things. I think I read that the track is due to be changed in November and if so, hopefully that will bring you the excellent racing you crave and stop your constant carping of how crap it all is at Leicester. I say hopefully because I do think there's more to it than just wide sweeping bends that create good racing.

BTW, I'd love to see passing and re-passing in every race but that's a rare occurance at any track. We've had some good meetings at BP this season and some poor ones and the track has stayed the same shape throughout. So, what's the difference between those meetings? The riders? Bike set up? Moisture content in the shale? A willingness to win? Shale depth? I don't have the answer, but if they do alter the shape in the close season, and the racing stays the same, I'm sure you'll be back on here to slag Leicester off Robert.

I think you miss the point, i am a speedway fan who was excited about the return of leicester, this has been a disaster comeback due to a promotor who hasnt a clue and wont be told, FACT why did sudden sam leave and many others ?

You say about good meetings when ? its been another dire season,sunday was awful again,rye house match not much better,edinburgh match awful,you say its just me but its far from just me,lots of regulars are fed up too and a number of them refuse to go now until changes are made, you have to be easily pleased or stupid if you think BP is real speedway.

yes they say the track will be changed in november but didnt they say the same last year too

ive been saying the same for years there should be a rule as where the start marshall moves riders in in a set order (nothing stopping the others to take there place before) as youve said maybe go gate 1 first then 2,3,4 or gate 1 then 4 then 2 then 3 but think its about time there was a procedure to follow which would make it easier to say who was delaying the start

I'm sure that there is something in the rules re this.

A typical negative post and people wonder why nobody of any intelligence use this forum anymore.

first thing I have ever seen you post that is the truth , well in your case it is for sure

bring on the semi mmmm

One of your favourite quotes I heard lol
  • Like 1