British Speedway Forum

The team put together has a lot of potential but is seriously lacking in 'big hitters'. Only Allen can fit the bill and the rest are currently second strings with maybe Mellgren stepping up to a 7/7.5 average.

According to the article in today's Hoddesdon Mercury regarding the proposed test match at Rye House next year. It states that the Aussie team will feature the likes of Jason Doyle, Sam Masters, Kevin Doolan and Dakota North. Does this mean that the test match/series will be a PL level series or are the real Aussie Stars all washing their hair that night ?? :rofl:

According to the article in today's Hoddesdon Mercury regarding the proposed test match at Rye House next year. It states that the Aussie team will feature the likes of Jason Doyle, Sam Masters, Kevin Doolan and Dakota North. Does this mean that the test match/series will be a PL level series or are the real Aussie Stars all washing their hair that night ?? :rofl:

I thought as much. Makes it a little less attractive

Might as well make it a Rye House/Ex Rye House team to race the Aussie second strings.

Tai

Danny

Eddie

Olly

Stuart

Rob Mear/ Adam

Jordan/Leigh

Nobody I really think would do much better at Rye ?

Maybe Bomber, Cookie or Josh ?

Edited by bolly

I'm normally on here defending the rockets from unfair criticism, but this time i'm looking at that team and thinking " boy is it gonna be a long season, with some real spankings on our travels". If the real reason for such a weak team is financial then you do have to wonder if mocking Len for this side makes us the foolish ones if other clubs spend beyond their means and have a great season but arent around to revel in it the year after. You'd hope people continue to support the club, but we all know that its success that brings crowds in minority sports.

Rye are like a lot of sides that are announced early IMO, some sides announce early and look exceptionally weak, or strong, over the course of the winter they normally balance out a bit.

I don’t think that will be a bad side at all in the PL next season, I would expect to see a lot of sides of similar strength.

If I was an EL side I would be making the addition of Mellgren to my squad a priority.

Red Dan makes a good point. None of us know how the finances of speedway work. We don't know what the weekly turnover is. Neither could we know how much goes out in riders wages, flights and the costs of running the stadium.

Do we really want the promotion to do a Newport. Gamble on a trophy winning side with no guarantee that the crowds will turn up?

Far be it for me to defend Silver, I'm obviously not on his Christmas card list, but perhaps this is the best he could do with the finances available.

• Like 1

I can never understand why the points limit is less than half the available match points? Speedway is getting a weaker product year on year with novice/reserves two seasons ago now in the main bodies of teams with little or no progress on track. This just makes the higher scoring riders in the PL redundant as they are deemed to have too high an average for the PL for team building and there are only so many places available in teams in the EL. Why not make teams built on a 50 point average or 60 points there only 90 points available to score so I cant see the problem, it would feature a lot of the better skilled riders around the tracks,.....or am I missing something?

They could be riding in a GP somewhere I suppose.

I can never understand why the points limit is less than half the available match points? Speedway is getting a weaker product year on year with novice/reserves two seasons ago now in the main bodies of teams with little or no progress on track. This just makes the higher scoring riders in the PL redundant as they are deemed to have too high an average for the PL for team building and there are only so many places available in teams in the EL. Why not make teams built on a 50 point average or 60 points there only 90 points available to score so I cant see the problem, it would feature a lot of the better skilled riders around the tracks,.....or am I missing something?

Rider's averages are based upon what they score in each ride multiplied by four. Therefore you have to largely discount points scored in heat 15 thus deducting six points from the meeting total, arriving at 84, 42 points to each side.

Posted Today, 03:23 PM

snapback.pngbolly, on 20 November 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

They could be riding in a GP somewhere I suppose.

I didn't realise that Davey Watt, Rory Schlein, Troy Batchelor, Jason Crump and Ryan Sullivan were in the GP series this year )))

snapback.pngPhil Silvers, on 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Rider's averages are based upon what they score in each ride multiplied by four. Therefore you have to largely discount points scored in heat 15 thus deducting six points from the meeting total, arriving at 84, 42 points to each side.

A higher points allowance creates an imbalance between the better off and the poorer clubs, the clubs that can afford 3 out and out heat leaders will grab the cream of the crop, pay them all on number ones money and can still have resonable second strings and reserves.

With a lesser figure at least a club has to make a choice of either top heavy or even averaged throughout.

Edited by bolly

decent side i think, injuries and the actions take often make big differences, the right move at the right time and Rye I reckon have a winning formula.

Olly Allen will do well at this level

decent side i think, injuries and the actions take often make big differences, the right move at the right time and Rye I reckon have a winning formula.

Olly Allen will do well at this level

yes fully agree - looks a good side to me (a lot better than last year) with at least a couple of riders who will definately increase their averages

Didnt they get a draw in the PT?

A win, beat us 46-44 in the PT. Possibly my most embarassing afternoon as a Lynn fan :D

Went through the actual PL campaign without scoring a point though.

A 7 pointer third heat leader instead of Lambert and this would be a usefull side with some excitng racers as well ;;;Maybe hes leaving the door slightly open for Bowen to slide back in when he is fit ......

....or am I missing something?

Yes you are.

Or another way of looking at it 7 riders x 4 rides/CMA = 28 rides = 14 heats = 42 points.

So you are building a side to 42.5 points to try and get 42 points. A very small strengthening year on year!

• Like 1