British Speedway Forum

As this message was removed from The Ply mouth Devils Forum within 12 hours it seems possible that someone doesnt want the news to come out, because the Herald and the Independent have ignored it too.

I attended what I thought was to be a routine consortium meeting last Saturday December 15 with Ashley Taylor, Seemond Stephens and David Short and was both surprised and upset to be told at the beginning of the meetiing by the recently joined consortium member Mr Taylor that I was no longer a member of the consortium, when I asked the reason for my sacking I was told that it was because of comments that I had made on social networking sites that had upset St Boniface College as they considered tI had been disrespectful to the Catholic Church and they could be unwilling to proceed with the granting of the lease for SBA if I remained involved.

I pointed out that the only Facebook area that I regularly use are areas dedicated to current and former Wall of Death workers and a Fairground Appreciation site and that I have never used and indeed dont know how to use Twitter so I was mystified by this reference. It was then sugggested that it may have been a reference to land valuations on this speedway forum site.

I have attempted to get a reply from the College to confirm the situation but have not received a response.

I therefore am left in a position where I have to announce that all connections between myself and Plymouth Speedway have been severed, I will however continue to support the riders that I have sponsored over the past years at their current and future locations.

Godfrey Spargo

Edited by barncooseboy

seems the consortium acted in the best interests to the future of plymouth speedway unfortunately the college took exception to your comments,however i would like to express my thanks to you for your commitment to the cause up that point

Sad to see the Catholic Church are so easily offended,maybe one visit to the confessional box,a handful of Hail Mary's and they could have forgiven you,it seemed to work for other seemingly more heinous crimes some of their flock and ministers have been accused of jn the past,so maybe all comes down to money and not morals. and disputing land values is the greater sin? fortunately i am a happy atheist.

• Like 3

I'm surprised the catholic church hasn't objected to the Plymouth nickname too. Maybe a change to the Plymouth Pontifs would be wise?

On the subject of the last two signings, you would have a good one IF you landed Gino. I have contacts in US speedway, and I have no doubts whatsoever that Gino has the talent and enthusiasm to do a job in PL. The only thing I would question is whether he could get good enough equipment and a suitable back-up team together in the short space of 3 months.

I like the look of the Plymouth team so far, and if the last two signings are good, I can see them more in the top half of the table than the bottom

• Like 1

"... when I asked the reason for my sacking I was told that it was because of comments that I had made on social networking sites that had upset St Boniface College as they considered tI had been disrespectful to the Catholic Church and they could be unwilling to proceed with the granting of the lease for SBA if I remained involved. ...

Godfrey Spargo"

Poor chap!

The other consortium members ought to watch out, because they're now going to be pawns of another secretive organisation which puts on a jolly "everybody is equal" front, but happily shafts proposective members with their own interprepations of a made up rule book.

Where did i say the team won't work, i haven't assumed anything in my post, your the one doing the assuming, riders get injured and changes have to be made, your trying to put words in my mouth, i'm happy with the riders we have now, but you can't have followed speedway very long if you think teams won't be forced to make changes, Scunthorpe were forced to make changes last year, and they won it, and not because they wanted to, because David Howe got injured, i was saying that the sign of a good team manager is when changes have to be made, they make the right one's, not hard to understand is it, no mention that i'm not happy with the team we have, it's part on the sport, and how dangerous it is.

Touchy Touchy, it was you who said when the changes that will happen, happen , without any qualification

Touchy Touchy, it was you who said when the changes that will happen, happen , without any qualification

When they happen i will remind you with qualification, your just picking at a post you no nothing about, you just assume you do, changes will be made by most teams next year in all the leagues, and when they are, making the right one's at the right time is the sign of a good team manager, it was a coment in general, and wasn't aimed at any team, and was an answer to a previous post, if you knew anything about speedway you would know that, injuries or not.

Edited by Devildodger

When they happen i will remind you with qualification, your just picking at a post you no nothing about, you just assume you do, changes will be made by most teams next year in all the leagues, and when they are, making the right one's at the right time is the sign of a good team manager, it was a coment in general, and wasn't aimed at any team, and was an answer to a previous post, if you knew anything about speedway you would know that, injuries or not.

I just love it on BSF when people get amazingly defensive make sweeping statements with no knowledge about the other contributor😜 Edited by hurricanes

Thanks Gary, you obviously see both of them reguarly, and know what it takes over here, and looking at what you have written, i think they would be wise listening to your advice, of course they are young and probably impatient to be getting on with there careers, but the choice is do they wait too long and stagnate, or attempt the big step forward, and ireversably damage there career, I can think of lots of riders over the years who have done one or the other. One needs to look at Kenny Ingalls, Ricky Wells and compare where is Gino in comparison? it will undoutably take him a season to settle in, but whatever Plymouth and Gino decide good luck to them.

They are both talented riders but I would like to see them make more main events here and also win a few before going across the pond.JMHO

I just love it on BSF when people get amazingly defensive make sweeping statements with no knowledge about the other contributor

Dito, same with me, i get amazingly defensive, i will have to stop making these sweeping statements.

I drove by the track earlier today.

1st and 2nd bends look ok, but the 3rd and 4th bends are well under water! Almost up as far as startline on home straight.

Personally I can't help thinking Godfrey's departure will be a terrible loss to Plymouth Speedway. He has very good contacts and having spoken to him myself he had a lot of good ideas for the place. I think the reasoning for the 'sacking' is pretty poor but then that's up to those concerned.

I can't help thinking there is more to this but hope I'm wrong. All the best Godfrey with your future projects.

• Like 6

Such a sad excuse for the school to give to exclude Godfrey, like Mike i feel it is a big loss to Plymouth Speedway not to have him involved with there future, like they say sticks and stones, my grandsons will be going that school next year, i just hope they act more grown-up then the people that run the school do, very sad little people, i have a lot of respect for Godfrey for saying what he thinks, a lot more respect than i have for the people that run the school, perhaps they don't like hearing the truth, otherwise they would have shrugged it off as just someone's opinion.

Edited by Devildodger
  • Like 4

Such a sad excuse for the school to give to exclude Godfrey, like Mike i feel it is a big loss to Plymouth Speedway not to have him involved with there future, like they say sticks and stones, my grandsons will be going that school next year, i just hope thay act more grown-up then the people that run the school do, very sad little people, i have a lot of respect for Godfrey for saying what he thinks, a lot more respect than i have for the people that run the school, perhaps they don't like hearing the truth, otherwise they would have shrugged it off as just someone's opinion.

Well said Devildodger. :approve:

I am a practicing Roman Catholic and this sort of thing does my Religion no credit. :sad: :sad: :sad:

As this message was removed from The Ply mouth Devils Forum within 12 hours it seems possible that someone doesnt want the news to come out, because the Herald and the Independent have ignored it too.

I attended what I thought was to be a routine consortium meeting last Saturday December 15 with Ashley Taylor, Seemond Stephens and David Short and was both surprised and upset to be told at the beginning of the meetiing by the recently joined consortium member Mr Taylor that I was no longer a member of the consortium, when I asked the reason for my sacking I was told that it was because of comments that I had made on social networking sites that had upset St Boniface College as they considered tI had been disrespectful to the Catholic Church and they could be unwilling to proceed with the granting of the lease for SBA if I remained involved.

I pointed out that the only Facebook area that I regularly use are areas dedicated to current and former Wall of Death workers and a Fairground Appreciation site and that I have never used and indeed dont know how to use Twitter so I was mystified by this reference. It was then sugggested that it may have been a reference to land valuations on this speedway forum site.

I have attempted to get a reply from the College to confirm the situation but have not received a response.

I therefore am left in a position where I have to announce that all connections between myself and Plymouth Speedway have been severed, I will however continue to support the riders that I have sponsored over the past years at their current and future locations.

Godfrey Spargo

I am very sad to read this, i am sure this could have been handled much better than it appears to have been, the consortium seems to have taken the easy way out, but to have been told in this way, really isnt good enough.

Good luck Godfrey when one door closes another often opens, and keep looking down in Cornwall, or even take a look Exeter way, is the Racecourse project dead and buried ? because it doesnt have to be such a grandoise plan as what Mr trump envisaged, Track, changing rooms, Toilet facilities, and good viewing is all that is necesary surely, changing rooms, toilets are probably already there, though one would have to walk somewhat.

As I understood it that so long as the area could be returned to how it presently is <cant think of another word> on cessation of Speedway, that was the major stumbling block from the jockey Club. how difficult is it to remove a safety fence, and dig up a track to be replaced by turf ?. Much easier than taking down a Grandstand. The officials at D & E racecourse really are nice people, and it might well be worth a phone call to them.