British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robinh88

Berwick Bandits 2013

Going to paint the toilet roll holder What toilet roll holder ?.

That must be the reason why the crowds are the best they have ever been.

If the crowds are low, then only the people who don't come through the turnstiles are to blame for that.

Speedway is an incredibly badly supported sport. I say that for a number of reasons:

• Soi disant fans seem to revel in there being low crowds at meetings they attend.
  • Soi disant fans seem to enjoy having a go at the people who fund and run the sport: even the good ones,
  • Little men get close to the sport because they have a few hundred quid to spare now and again, then think they should have influence. Once they find out that is not the case, they become bitter and - perhaps unwittingly - damage their clubs.
  • Soi disant fans attack fans who are positive and support their clubs as "brown nosers", etc. Contrast that with Sevco in Scottish Football, the old club is gone, new club not doing too well in Division 3, but by golly they still support their club.

Let's just face it, the support base of speedway: i.e., the people one would expect to go through the turnstiles, just haven't got what it takes to keep the sport going.

It also seems that those soi disant fans are so thick that they can't see that and try and blame it on a multitude of other things.

It's up to us to keep the sport going, if we don't step up to the mark, then we only have ourselves to blame.

Interesting bit in the Berwick programme about poor support and negativity from a certain contingent.

It was spot on, and those that it was generally directed to should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 2

Interesting bit in the Berwick programme about poor support and negativity from a certain contingent.

It was spot on, and those that it was generally directed to should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh dont worry I read it,maybe it might have been directed at supporters like me who dare to have an opinion different from the promotion at times.If he`s suggesting via his column in the programme,that Berwick Speedway could do without those supporters then he`s playing a dangerous game.

Oh dont worry I read it,maybe it might have been directed at supporters like me who dare to have an opinion different from the promotion at times.If he`s suggesting via his column in the programme,that Berwick Speedway could do without those supporters then he`s playing a dangerous game.

Have not read the article in the programme but I

fail to see how critisism can be directed at fans who attend every week and pay their admission money.Speedway is going through a bad spell the Promoters have to sort it out ,fans on a forum are not the reason for dropping attendancies IMO.

Edited by Fromafar

If you read it, it is absolutely not directed at supporters.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

Perhaps your reply backs up some of my earlier posits?

I would say reading between the lines it was directed at local Radio Tv and Press??

Think you totally wrong good Sir or Madam More likely at the media.

I would say reading between the lines it was directed at local Radio Tv and Press??

Think you totally wrong good Sir or Madam More likely at the media.

Interestingly it didn't mention media, rather "outlets".

Take from that what you will.

Interestingly it didn't mention media, rather "outlets".

Take from that what you will.

I would say reading it again it links in to Radio TV and Press mentioned in same paragraph. From what I hear your local Radio Speedway coverage is very poor.

I would say reading it again it links in to Radio TV and Press mentioned in same paragraph. From what I hear your local Radio Speedway coverage is very poor.

I guess it could always be better, I don't listen to local radio much, but always hear John on Radio Borders on the way to meetings.

lets do the talking with our team selection and getting fans excited who have gone missing in recent times. ricky seb david and nicki would be a great start barring injuries and track prep of course

why put something in a programe if its not for the suporters after all no one else will be buying it will they

With Lee now retired[will be sorely missed at Berwick] we need another entertainer enter Kozza ?

.............you got one Dick Barrie!!!

Back in the late 1980s,a nice wee man called Eric Stead - grandfather of Simon - was the promoter down the road at Brough Park,Newcastle.

1987 wasnt a great year for the Diamonds,and a section of the Brough Park fans,sighting the glory days of Mauger,Olsen or the Owen brothers,were impatient for success.

Although in these days there were no forums or Facebooks by which to vent their annoyance,there was still a great deal of public sniping and complaints from a small but vocal cluster of critics about Eric`s team building efforts prior to the `88 season.

Supporters` meetings,fanzines (the forums of the day) and letters carried moans (behind his back of course) as he manfully laboured to service the demands of his garage in Sheffield ( a business which was funding his devotion to running speedway) alongside preparing to launch another season on the Fossway.

One day in March,with the season nearly upon him,Eric was doing one of the many unsong treats which befall someone stuggling to run a speedway -- probably shivering in the speedway office (no mobile phones either,back then) while trying to persuade a rider to join the Diamonds at a reasonable rate of pay or even working down a hole at the track in the freezing rain,unblocking a drain or something.

Whatever he was doing it wasnt fun,but it was something which was needed in order to move the club forward into the new season.Hard work,funded out of his own time,money and the love of his sport to allow the turnstiles to start clicking in a few weeks` time and give the loyal speedway-going Novocastrians their summer entertainment.

At that point,just a couple of weeks before the season was to begin,he was informed of the latest attack on his efforts by some so-called "fans".Totally - unfair criticism which took no account of his problem in balancing the books,his physical drudgery or his stress.Such people,some perhaps with private agenda,had no real conception of what speedway promotion entailed,but just thought it was clever to put the boot in.

Well,it had an effect alright.

Eric Stead considered their words and walked away.He climbed out the drain,or closed the office door,and thought "sod it".He notified the league office that Newcastle would not be running that season and shut the operation down there and then.No speedway on Tyneside in 1988.

Think about it.

The above is taken from Barries`s notes last saturday,looks very much like its directed at fans,and especially fans on this forum,the media arent even mentioned once.

Edited by screm

Back in the late 1980s,a nice wee man called Eric Stead - grandfather of Simon - was the promoter down the road at Brough Park,Newcastle.

1987 wasnt a great year for the Diamonds,and a section of the Brough Park fans,sighting the glory days of Mauger,Olsen or the Owen brothers,were impatient for success.

Although in these days there were no forums or Facebooks by which to vent their annoyance,there was still a great deal of public sniping and complaints from a small but vocal cluster of critics about Eric`s team building efforts prior to the `88 season.

Supporters` meetings,fanzines (the forums of the day) and letters carried moans (behind his back of course) as he manfully laboured to service the demands of his garage in Sheffield ( a business which was funding his devotion to running speedway) alongside preparing to launch another season on the Fossway.

One day in March,with the season nearly upon him,Eric was doing one of the many unsong treats which befall someone stuggling to run a speedway -- probably shivering in the speedway office (no mobile phones either,back then) while trying to persuade a rider to join the Diamonds at a reasonable rate of pay or even working down a hole at the track in the freezing rain,unblocking a drain or something.

Whatever he was doing it wasnt fun,but it was something which was needed in order to move the club forward into the new season.Hard work,funded out of his own time,money and the love of his sport to allow the turnstiles to start clicking in a few weeks` time and give the loyal speedway-going Novocastrians their summer entertainment.

At that point,just a couple of weeks before the season was to begin,he was informed of the latest attack on his efforts by some so-called "fans".Totally - unfair criticism which took no account of his problem in balancing the books,his physical drudgery or his stress.Such people,some perhaps with private agenda,had no real conception of what speedway promotion entailed,but just thought it was clever to put the boot in.

Well,it had an effect alright.

Eric Stead considered their words and walked away.He climbed out the drain,or closed the office door,and thought "sod it".He notified the league office that Newcastle would not be running that season and shut the operation down there and then.No speedway on Tyneside in 1988.

Think about it.

The above is taken from Barries`s notes last saturday,looks very much like its directed at fans,and especially fans on this forum,the media arent even mentioned once.

Not forgetting Facebook too Screm, i've seen some utter drivel posted on groups, and pages on there during the season. I think people probably forget when they're posting things, that they've probably got friends on there, who actually run the show, or are riders etc.

Here's hoping i've either found a more full time job....or a very wealthy woman by next season, so i can get back down more often on saturdays again :wink:

• Like 1

That must be the reason why the crowds are the best they have ever been.

That Berwick has been chosen to host the Ben Fund meeting suggests that the promotion are doing something right.

You stick to spraffing on about toilet roll holders though….