British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow 2013

Would it not have made better business sense to budget for a break even figure of 550 ish instead of 750 ish? This way any more than 550 is profit and not that any less than 750 is a loss. I wish the new promotion very well but it's disappointing to see the begging bowl out again. If you're taking on a business you should have a modest break even figure. Shoot high aim low?

Would it not have made better business sense to budget for a break even figure of 550 ish instead of 750 ish? This way any more than 550 is profit and not that any less than 750 is a loss. I wish the new promotion very well but it's disappointing to see the begging bowl out again. If you're taking on a business you should have a modest break even figure. Shoot high aim low?

Presumably you havent read the e-mail or you wouldve noticed that the promotion have said that they are NOT looking for any donations so no begging bowl needed. They have just said how many they need based on their budget to break even. I suspect they went with 745 to have a competitive team. I'm sure they looked at basing it at 583 but since some people have said that the team we have just now is poor, imagine their reaction if it had been with say Joe Screen replaced by a 6.5 pointer!!!

• Like 1

There are fixed costs that need to be covered and these are independent of the team make up. Add to that the need for an attractive team otherwise attendances will fall (speculate to accumulate).

As DW says begging bowl not produced. They are being transparent and putting words into action - "it's the fans club", etc.

Personally I think it's a good move to know the breakeven point. I wouldn't be surprised if more people are making a mental note of the attendance at meetings now and this might lead to some of the promotion's requests to bring more people to meetings coming to fruition.

There are fixed costs that need to be covered and these are independent of the team make up. Add to that the need for an attractive team otherwise attendances will fall (speculate to accumulate).

As DW says begging bowl not produced. They are being transparent and putting words into action - "it's the fans club", etc.

Personally I think it's a good move to know the breakeven point. I wouldn't be surprised if more people are making a mental note of the attendance at meetings now and this might lead to some of the promotion's requests to bring more people to meetings coming to fruition.

As long as they want me to go around counting folk :P

• Like 2

As long as they want me to go around counting folk :P

Could be a mis-count if done through beer goggles. ;)

• Like 1

Lots of potential in this team, if the new kids hit the ground running you could be in with an outside chance this year.

Having a good/winning season and finding the right place for an assessed rider is pretty hard, unless you have a Tabakaish reserve who will swap in and out the top 5 with your 5.00 man you are going to have a difficult season IMO.

5.00 average doesn’t sound much but for a first season kid in the PL that’s a big ask to hit it, more so when you have 2 at once and a side structured that will more than likely see one spending a large chunk of the season in the 1-5

5.00 average, that’s a figure that guys like Kurtz, Campton, Heeps and Dyer didn’t or have not hit yet, and they are good, talented riders who in theory should have decent careers.

Unless you are making wholesale changes, the introduction of a couple of assessed riders in their first season, more often than not will mean you are in for an average season (I am not saying that is a bad thing) nor is this just aimed at Glasgow, just a general comment.

All that being said, being near the top of the league, while great, isnt the be all and end all.

Glasgow should,have a couple of long term assets, with their heat leader trio and Bager be solid at home, and with Grieves and Wright (if he finds his form) have a couple of the more entertaining riders in the PL this season, for a first season effort, and new promotion that’s not a bad start at all.

Edited by wjm

Lots of potential in this team, if the new kids hit the ground running you could be in with an outside chance this year.

Of what?

Oh dear!

It certainly has a bottom or near the bottom end off the table look to the team but getting a couple off new riders on the asset base was alway's the way the new promotion were going to go, I am sure we all would have liked a more established look to the team but it may be the case off short term pain scenario i as i am sure will all my fellow fan's turn up every week more in hope than anything else.

But as I have said numerous times before whilst on paper we look weak we cannot deny that we still have a team to support this is the most important thing in my book it looks like a case off walking before we run and I for one will support them no matter what.

• Like 1

It certainly has a bottom or near the bottom end off the table look to the team but getting a couple off new riders on the asset base was alway's the way the new promotion were going to go, I am sure we all would have liked a more established look to the team but it may be the case off short term pain scenario i as i am sure will all my fellow fan's turn up every week more in hope than anything else.

But as I have said numerous times before whilst on paper we look weak we cannot deny that we still have a team to support this is the most important thing in my book it looks like a case off walking before we run and I for one will support them no matter what.

It is a team that relies on the young his basically hitting their averages. An assessed average of 5 is always hard to hit and if forced to ride in the top 5 that is always going to be difficult. But the bright spot or glimmer of light that I can find us that any young rider getting to ride with an ex Grand Prix rider like joe screen, or a premier league old stager like James grieves who knows every British track inside out and has amazing track craft and guile. Any young rider is always going to learn from these too.

I actually think the key to the tigers team is James wright. If he can up his average the team could do ok, but it's a wait and see job.