British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow 2013

How a Manager of a Premier League team can be a chairman on the BSPA and make decisions about another PL team is beyond me :rolleyes: shouldn't be allowed, a farce as Workington were at the brunt end of last season . Decisions for the PL should not be made by other PL team managers , simple as :mad:

Maybe not his own but will have plenty of say on other teams :rolleyes:

Please correct me if i am wrong but I thought it was the management committe that decided this and isnt Gordon Pairman (of Glasgow) on that committee.

• Like 1

As ekimba says it's a management comitee that votes and decides wether or not their elegible not just alex harkess..

As ekimba says it's a management comitee that votes and decides wether or not their elegible not just alex harkess..

That is true,but why is it when ever that"bunch" make a decision it always seems a cock up...and as long at you have self regulation and self interest you will get questions asked.....such as why has Edinburghs Aussie got permission yet Horwood hasnt,...not say there is anything under hand but it doesnt look good when the MC chairmans rider is granted a permit

Set simple rules in place..such as top three in state championships or something then stick to them,,,,,everyone knows then

• Like 2

That is true,but why is it when ever that"bunch" make a decision it always seems a cock up...and as long at you have self regulation and self interest you will get questions asked.....such as why has Edinburghs Aussie got permission yet Horwood hasnt,...not say there is anything under hand but it doesnt look good when the MC chairmans rider is granted a permit

Set simple rules in place..such as top three in state championships or something then stick to them,,,,,everyone knows then

I can see your point but if you look at glasgow's record in the past with Aussies its not exactly been great.

I can see your point but if you look at glasgow's record in the past with Aussies its not exactly been great.

This made me laugh. Penfold and O'Malley and to an extent Davey were pretty awful. But for each of them you could say Nick Morris, Jason Lyons and Josh G.

• Like 2

There are still British riders without places, they should get priority, we don't owe foreign riders a living (how many British riders are earning in overseas leagues?)........not so very many.

Edited by foamfence
  • Like 2

So tell me some names of "British" riders that are willing to come this far north.

its pretty simple the way i believe it to be ,

The top 4 qualify automatically for a work visa from the australian state championships. (i beleive there are several they can enter)

The top 4 who did finish this year already ride in the uk. Therefore bspa the revue the applications, after these 4 only 4 others were made..

Max finished 5th in two state championships behind the 4 that already ride in the uk, so was deemed good enough for a work visa. The scunny rider finished 2nd or 3rd in a state championship.

Im not sure where the two glasgow riders finished in these state championships or if the did compete in them to start with. (but im sure someone will know)

Looking back to last season glasgow brought in a young "untried" aussie on a 5.00 average finished on a 3.00 (actual average 1.36) when they could have had bellego and then became ther own asset, (thats another story) lol .

perhaps the BSPA were right on this ocassion , and perhaps if these 2 riders do not have the experience then maybe its history repeating its self.

So tell me some names of "British" riders that are willing to come this far north.

Well last year Paul Starke travelled up to Newcastle for a long series of guest bookings, which saw him improve tremendously, As far as I know he hasn't got a place in this years PL and would welcome a chance anywhere. Where is Charles Wright riding this year? There should be a list of available British riders before the start of every season and they should get the first offers, if they decline them, fair enough. There are still some promising NL riders who aren't getting PL chances. Meanwhile Poland Sweden and Denmark are getting more and more into using their own riders as the years go by, as for Australia? well if it wasn't for the Darren and Sharron Boocock set up in the last few years, there would have been probably no Brits riding there at all.

Sporting work permits are a weird and wonderful business. I remember Hearts for example trying to get a work permit for ungandan David obua, due to him not earning enough international caps, the appeal was won on the projection of caps they expected him to win after a letter of recommendation from a ungandan executive.

I think to blame Mr Harkess is old hat, and for me it's very dangerous to question his integrity in such a manner. It's a wild accusation with no foundation or substance. Unless there is any evidence to support this accusation then I think some posters need to be very careful.

Was the problem not that Glasgow missed the boat with Fricke and were forced to think again after he had gone to Edinburgh. As for Horwood looking at his results I would think on appeal he may have a chance, but I guess the previous promotion dumping o'malley so early on was a black mark against the club, which is probably unfair on the new regime. I know nothing so I am just guessing here, maybe the committee have taken the opinion that between penfold and o'malley and only using them for a short period of time it was another gamble which could result in a similar situation arising.

I do feel sorry for the new regime, but I still think we may see Horwood, maybe even both.

• Like 2

Come on boys & girls, lets leave the mud slinging @home! I think its a shame for the new regime @Glasgow however, with the decreasing opportunities for British riders, maybe this is a blessing. I personally think that if more clubs looked after the young British riders then perhaps the sport would flourish more. If they don't do something British speedway @all levels will become a laughing stock.

• Like 2

Best news I've heard all week and rather than take a cynical dig at the BSPA Chair, I rather look on it as the governing body doing their job preventing a new promotion from fielding a very weak team and its potential effect on crowds. I don't believe any other team in the PL would be allowed three 3.00 riders, its a recipe for disaster we have been saved from. I'm trying very hard to support the owners, on team building we won't agree, all I would ask is that we save our efforts on an appeal and use the 10 points available to get in some experience. We already have a novice in Joe Jacobs and thats enough for one season.

• Like 9

Best news I've heard all week and rather than take a cynical dig at the BSPA Chair, I rather look on it as the governing body doing their job preventing a new promotion from fielding a very weak team and its potential effect on crowds. I don't believe any other team in the PL would be allowed three 3.00 riders, its a recipe for disaster we have been saved from. I'm trying very hard to support the owners, on team building we won't agree, all I would ask is that we save our efforts on an appeal and use the 10 points available to get in some experience. We already have a novice in Joe Jacobs and thats enough for one season.

Well there is that too. Obviously the management know more than the supporters, which is ok and hey, worth trying my worry is the lack of British riders, some experienced riders have been overlooked and the new talented riders are not being given the chances.

• Like 1