British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow 2013

I am the Elite League reserve member.

This means that I am only called on if there is an conflict of interest amongst the EL MC members. It also means that I am not entitled to attend MC meetings.

Just as well, perhaps :lol:

Thanks Gordon for coming on here and putting the record straight, and not for the first time. Its much appreciated.

Can you throw any light on what the ACTUAL criteria are for allowing or denying the entry to Britain for young Aussie riders? This may help us understand the decision of the MC in this particular case.

• Like 3

I am the Elite League reserve member.

This means that I am only called on if there is an conflict of interest amongst the EL MC members. It also means that I am not entitled to attend MC meetings.

Just as well, perhaps :lol:

Thanks very much for taking the time to clear that up, it is much apreciated

• Like 1

Thanks Gordon for coming on here and putting the record straight, and not for the first time. Its much appreciated.

Can you throw any light on what the ACTUAL criteria are for allowing or denying the entry to Britain for young Aussie riders? This may help us understand the decision of the MC in this particular case.

To be honest, I can't. I would if I could but don't actually understand it myself. There does seem to be some inconsistency here and I can understand supporters concerns.

Having watched Harley Horwood race in the 2012 Australian championship and spoken to him and Trent Leverington, who was mechanicing for him, I reckoned that he would be ready for UK PL in 2013.

Although I am surprised at his refusal, especially when others similarly able have been accepted, I need more information before being able to comment further.

Sorry not to be able to be more helpful

• Like 5

Glad Harley has been accepted. He seems so chuffed, and guess what...he likes the cold!!! so no whinging about the inevitable weather :P

It's tough enough without all the hassle. Lets hope this season doesn't suffer from so many rainoffs&injuries. It's sad that Speedway can't get more fans through the gate,as it is a spectacle to watch and you can interact with the riders and be so very close to the action.

The new promotion want it to be a success and lets hope it is.

• Like 1

i don't understand why the mc don't publish the reasons behind their decisions, as some have said there may be valid reasons for denying joey but tell us what they are. that is the majn problem i have with the mc as everything seems shrouded in secrecy.

being on the mc will always leave alex and his cronies open to claims of bias but the bottom line is speedway cannot afford an independent panel. these guys put a lot of work and effort and give up so much of their time to speedway for very little reward. if promotions of other teams really think they are biased then vote them out at the agm. this is alex harkess 3rd year as chairman so he must have plenty support.

• Like 2

i don't understand why the mc don't publish the reasons behind their decisions, as some have said there may be valid reasons for denying joey but tell us what they are. that is the majn problem i have with the mc as everything seems shrouded in secrecy.

being on the mc will always leave alex and his cronies open to claims of bias but the bottom line is speedway cannot afford an independent panel. these guys put a lot of work and effort and give up so much of their time to speedway for very little reward. if promotions of other teams really think they are biased then vote them out at the agm. this is alex harkess 3rd year as chairman so he must have plenty support.

Agree,simply put the reason for refusal in print.

Agree,simply put the reason for refusal in print.

If you don't say then you can move the goalposts. If there was a clear checklist, explicit and if you never met one, you never got a visa. But it's so ambiguous. If a clear statement was made then I am sure people would be more willing to accept things. But it's just a bit Micky mouse in terms of professionalism from the mc in my eyes

If you don't say then you can move the goalposts. If there was a clear checklist, explicit and if you never met one, you never got a visa. But it's so ambiguous. If a clear statement was made then I am sure people would be more willing to accept things. But it's just a bit Micky mouse in terms of professionalism from the mc in my eyes

I think the sport lacks professionalism in the way it has been run, but for some reason seems to think everything is fine which IMO is misguided .There will be a number of fans from various Clubs wondering what the future holds if things dont pick up after last season which was a disaster in terms of Weather and Crowd levels.

As you suggest, transparency of decisions will negate the conspiracy theories. Simples.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 2

I think the sport lacks professionalism in the way it has been run, but for some reason seems to think everything is fine which IMO is misguided .

Speedway at PL level is an amateur sport. A few of the top guys are full time but for many others it is their hobby that they fit in with a normal job. It is a once a week summer only sport run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts and teams/clubs are much like Not for Profit Organisations in that if they break even for that year it is a success. I'll leave others to comment on the EL.

Committee's are often not the best way to run things however it is either that supervisory structure or nothing, speedway simply doesn't generate enough money or profit.

• Like 1

Speedway at PL level is an amateur sport. A few of the top guys are full time but for many others it is their hobby that they fit in with a normal job. It is a once a week summer only sport run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts and teams/clubs are much like Not for Profit Organisations in that if they break even for that year it is a success. I'll leave others to comment on the EL.

Committee's are often not the best way to run things however it is either that supervisory structure or nothing, speedway simply doesn't generate enough money or profit.

There are a few riders making decenr money for a sport that you suggest is amatuer at PL level.On saying that most Promotions would settle for a break even situation regarding finance at the end of a season.