British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

Rob Mear can.

He has a full time job outside speedway.

The point about Wells is that there is every reason to believe that he will improve (something that cannot be said of Hall or Sanchez) and I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that he would be up there with Stead.

Lose him and fail to get an adequate replacement - ie a rider with potential - and a poor side just gets worse.

If a rider averaging approx 6.5 in the premier league can not make it pay, how do lesser riders survive, financially???

Agree,if riders are losing money every season perhaps they should get themselves a proper job instead of moaning about it. They are not forced to ride speedway.
  • Like 1

Agree,if riders are losing money every season perhaps they should get themselves a proper job instead of moaning about it. They are not forced to ride speedway.

A fair few lower end riders do have jobs outside of speedway. At the end of the day though a rider in a professional sport should be able to make enough money during the season to support themselves. Maybe promoters should actually work harder to get more punters through the gates rather than constantly trying to reduce their outgoings? Luckily for you enough riders do take up the challenge of riding speedway otherwise you would not have any to watch.

• Like 1

A fair few lower end riders do have jobs outside of speedway. At the end of the day though a rider in a professional sport should be able to make enough money during the season to support themselves. Maybe promoters should actually work harder to get more punters through the gates rather than constantly trying to reduce their outgoings? Luckily for you enough riders do take up the challenge of riding speedway otherwise you would not have any to watch.

If the rider is good enough he will make enough money from the sport . IF rumours are true some of the points money being paid to mediocre riders is far too much,the sport is dying on its feet .The bottom line is that if expenditure exceeds income closure of tracks will happen Promotions will just fold.The Annual Conference did not come up with any solution to solve the financial trouble the sport is in IMO(or they didn't tell us much if they have)
  • Like 1

Perhaps riders/teams should be offerered incentives over and above their normal pay rates. eg,win the match=bonus,up your average=bonus(perhaps monthly), win a trophy=bonus, & maybe, in my dreams,win the league=big bonus.All this may even encourage the team to work as a team.

how are the rest of the premier league teams making ends meet are they promoted better or have they got better sponcership we have the best stadium in league but is that the problem the cost of the stadium is it damageing the team

He has a full time job outside speedway.

The point about Wells is that there is every reason to believe that he will improve (something that cannot be said of Hall or Sanchez) and I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that he would be up there with Stead.

Lose him and fail to get an adequate replacement - ie a rider with potential - and a poor side just gets worse.

Sorry Halifaxtiger, I don't agree. Wells was signed last season as someone with potential. He started the season on a 6.46 Average and finished it on a 6.47 average!! For most of the season he flattered to deceive. It's not like he was in his first season in the league. If he thinks he's better than what he's being offered then he needs to prove it on the track. He hasn't convinced me at all
  • Like 4

Sorry Halifaxtiger, I don't agree. Wells was signed last season as someone with potential. He started the season on a 6.46 Average and finished it on a 6.47 average!! For most of the season he flattered to deceive. It's not like he was in his first season in the league. If he thinks he's better than what he's being offered then he needs to prove it on the track. He hasn't convinced me at all

ive got to agree here there were loads of workington fans wanting wells to sign for the comets but were talking like he was top class rider for me hes a 2nd string or 3rd heat leader

on his day can beat the best but just not a rider you can rely on to score good points every meeting

• Like 1

I think the main reason ricky didnt up his average was riding at 5 on a track he had hardly ever raced on.Had he had the luxury of riding at 4 his average may have been higher.Hence the inflated average for hally hiding away in heat 14 instead of going in with the big boys in heat 13 on a track hes raced on for years.I would like to see ricky back for another season.

Everyone has a different opinion about the team and riders. Myself and a few other believe Ricky Wells will make strides and become a very good rider this year. In my opinion I think he can push for at least 8 points this season(if Sheffield sign him).

I think we are looking at the other rider being Hall.

Sheffield won't go splashing the cash flying riders in to the country or riders like North and Poole won't come back to the UK on a cheap deal just to ride in the Premier league.

With 14.93 left to play with and the need for two heat leaders I'd like to know which two riders people suggest we can get instead of Hall and Wells on the budget that is obviously available?(Riders and averages on BSPA website)

Is it just me or what kind of DEAL do these guys like North, Poole,Wells and, as he is Quoted in this weeks Speedway Star Justin Sedgeman want ,they are just average speedway riders and until they prove themselves do not deserve anything out of the "norm" Let them earn there living "working in AUS " instead of bankrupting British speedway. Promoters have to stop trying to put one over each other regarding riders demands and stick together for the future of the sport.

• Like 9

Probably no-one knows what the riders are getting paid exactly and I don't believe that anyone under an 8 point average is getting fantastic money. The riders have a lot of costs to cover. They only get paid around 10p a mile for travel which obviously doesn't cover the cost of the fuel, tax, insurance etc. They get paid their points money but the cost of a tyre and insurance is deducted from this, they have now had the bonus point payment for coming 3rd behind their team mate removed and on top of all this they have their service and bike running costs, methonol, parts etc to pay for. The situation is that promotions are cutting costs whilst riders costs go up or remain the same. If it means that Ricky would get into debt just so that he can ride for Sheffield Speedway then I don't blame him for saying no, riders need to make a living just like the rest of us. Why does he have to prove himself on a lower wage, if he would be financially better off not racing for Sheffield i.e. not accruing debts.

Probably no-one knows what the riders are getting paid exactly and I don't believe that anyone under an 8 point average is getting fantastic money. The riders have a lot of costs to cover. They only get paid around 10p a mile for travel which obviously doesn't cover the cost of the fuel, tax, insurance etc. They get paid their points money but the cost of a tyre and insurance is deducted from this, they have now had the bonus point payment for coming 3rd behind their team mate removed and on top of all this they have their service and bike running costs, methonol, parts etc to pay for. The situation is that promotions are cutting costs whilst riders costs go up or remain the same. If it means that Ricky would get into debt just so that he can ride for Sheffield Speedway then I don't blame him for saying no, riders need to make a living just like the rest of us. Why does he have to prove himself on a lower wage, if he would be financially better off not racing for Sheffield i.e. not accruing debts.

Why would Ricky Wells ride speedway in Britain so as he could get into debt ! If you have been riding in Speedway for 4/5 years and not making money it is time to find another job . Points money and riding costs are a Taboo subject WHY . Fair enough if Ricky can't make PL pay but he won't get my symphathy.i'm afraid. Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

Whether he is worth it or not, why did Promotion go to rider who public states that he lost money riding in the Premier League last season and allegedly as we only have one side of the story less money.

It just does not add up to me. ,