British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Comets In Trouble

The PL would sorely miss the Comets. Here's hoping you are running next year.

Yet another stark warning against fans who wallow in dropping crowd levels instead of getting some friends to accompany them.

• Like 2

He is a businessman, he doesn't give a toss about the die hard Comets fans. Quite the opposite. Instead of interacting with the fans, any time his operation is criticized he reacts like an angry child. Not to mention certain cracks about his relationship with different riders. Tony Mole didn't get to many meetings which is understandable considering his base, but more often than not him and Ian Thomas gave the fans what they wanted. In this financial climate, it is a lot for fans to have to fork out, considering that Workington Town are doing well and attracting bigger crowds - not everyone can afford speedway on Saturday night and rugby on Sunday afternoon. The general consensus is that Denham does not come across as an owner that can be liked. A lot of Comets fans are stubborn and will not give their money to someone they do not like or does not listen to their opinion without threatening them with a ban from Comets meetings. I remember years ago when we would be missing out on certain riders as Mole wouldn't splash daft money, people were crying for Denham as they believed he would make us the Chelsea of the PL and creating a title winning team. Didn't quite happen, but at the same time there are a lot of other men in the area that have made fortunes through their firms, I'm sure someone local or not local would be prepared to take the team on. Problem is, Comets fans love their heroes. The priority would surely have to be for another Stoney. Someone the fans know will give all on the track but has a big personality and interaction with them off it.

Lots of finger pointing and blame at the people in charge written here, but is there seriously less than 500 supporters attending meetings?

If that is accurate, I'm sorry but that just isn't enough to sustain speedway anywhere.

Only possible reason I can think of is that Workington played Whitehaven in the rugby the following day, big local rivalry and the game actually meant something. But 500 is still low considering back about 10-12 years ago the Comets got bigger crowds than most Elite League teams.

Only possible reason I can think of is that Workington played Whitehaven in the rugby the following day, big local rivalry and the game actually meant something. But 500 is still low considering back about 10-12 years ago the Comets got bigger crowds than most Elite League teams.

I never get around much anymore, but I hear from close friends that do that Workington are not the only ones trying to get by on those sort of figures.

Worrying times it really is.

Lets see how many turn up this Sat!

I agree with a lot of things that have been said, however, we have had speedway for the last five years when maybe we wouldn't have, I really struggle to think who could take it on. I look at the programme and I would say the majority of the sponsors have an Armstrong connection, thats a lot of cash to find, the plant eqpt thats used for the track etc, if he cant make it pay who can?

I also look at the crowds at other tracks and wonder how they can survive if we cant?

I also think the sport is to highly priced at £30 a week per couple and even higher for families, so it just isnt KD's fault, the fans are not supporting it.

900 fans lost from the first meeting is a huge drop off and there must be other factors, is it not value for money, poor racing etc.

Its said that Workington people wont support a losing team, but we are right up there with the leaders so surely that cant be the case either.

Would love some opinions because I would hate for the Speedway to close down in Workington, once its gone it won't come back, the track will go to ruin, Rugby Club won't want it back, noise concerns etc.

Lets hope their is someone out there willing to give it a go for a season, would be interesting to see if crowds would improve.

So to conclude, no fans = no speedway, its up to the fans to show that they want Speedway, Get the crowds back for the last few meetings and make it a viable proposition for someone to come in and save the club.

We really should be voting with our feet to save the Comets!

• Like 1

Really?

No mention from Mr Denham about the money he has lost by very late postponements, when, in one case in particular, all he had to do was listen to an experienced rider (and visiting captain) to try and salvage the meeting.

Feel sorry for the Worky fans, riders and Jacko. I used to love my trips over to Workington. Let's hope someone can come in and take over and run the show properly.

Yeah really , did you not see on here the scenario not so long ago regarding Adam, believe he complained about the track and bully boy family member of the Denhams didn't take it very well and had Adam by the throat. If the comets were running next season would have been very doubtful you would have seen Adam here

in recent times the crowd has been poor at workington speedway and theres many reasons 1 off them is the promotors atitude but im affraid the biggest 1 is people just cant afford to take there familys along to speedway at the price it is in the current economical climate Edited by scarra
  • Like 3

Lots of finger pointing and blame at the people in charge written here, but is there seriously less than 500 supporters attending meetings?

If that is accurate, I'm sorry but that just isn't enough to sustain speedway anywhere.

Unfortunately yes, I brought this up a few back on the Forum,

I don't believe for one minute that KD wants to see Workington Speedway close, however, how much isn he prepared to lose, it's his money, it is the fans not turning up that will cause the closure of the Speedway

• Like 1

Is the threat to close right now, surrendering all the assets, rights to league share-out of big-event income and bond -- or to complete season and then close or sell the club and assets on?

People criticise the BSPA, but they don't half get some problems thrust upon them!

Here's the thing. Since they have not completed their PL programme with two home matches against Leicester and Berwick to be fitted in by this weekend, immediate closure would require ALL Workington results to be expunged from table. Would this change the standings? Indeed, would Ipswich find themselves "promoted" to play-offs?

in recent times the crowd has been poor at workington speedway and theres many reasons 1 off them is the promotors atitude but im affraid the biggest 1 is people just cant afford to take there familys along to speedway at the price it is in the current economical climate

Agree Scarra, we are possibly the first to show our hand, but I dont think we will be the only club who are struggling!

Prices have to come down or run fortnightly, in a five week month it costs a family @£250pm to go, thats a lot of disposable income that can be spent elsewhere!

Indeed there has been a few features in Speedway Star about rising costs, people are aware but it's how to tackle it thats the problem.

• Like 1

Is the threat to close right now, surrendering all the assets, rights to league share-out of big-event income and bond -- or to complete season and then close or sell the club and assets on?

People criticise the BSPA, but they don't half get some problems thrust upon them!

Here's the thing. Since they have not completed their PL programme with two home matches against Leicester and Berwick to be fitted in by this weekend, immediate closure would require ALL Workington results to be expunged from table. Would this change the standings? Indeed, would Ipswich find themselves "promoted" to play-offs?

Oh No,, can't believe this is happening . Surely Keith will see sense and finish the the season and have some sort of closure for us fans and the riders instead of just nothing , it would be a travesty :sad:

Edited by davidj

Unfortunately yes, I brought this up a few back on the Forum,

I don't believe for one minute that KD wants to see Workington Speedway close, however, how much isn he prepared to lose, it's his money, it is the fans not turning up that will cause the closure of the Speedway

:rofl: And you really believe that its the fans fault for the closure !!! Come off it, how long has Kyle been out for example, we needed 3 riders signed and we weren't able to sign one , people get the attitude that well if he can't be bothered I am not paying my money to see a 3 man team and 3 guests , simple as . The fans are no way to blame for the Comets demise. Look at how he is approaching it, closure end of , theres Glasgow pleading with their fans and trying to find a buyer to enable it to carry on , but no he again stands on his high horse and uses his power to cripple the fans :mad:

• Like 1

:rofl: And you really believe that its the fans fault for the closure !!! Come off it, how long has Kyle been out for example, we needed 3 riders signed and we weren't able to sign one , people get the attitude that well if he can't be bothered I am not paying my money to see a 3 man team and 3 guests , simple as . The fans are no way to blame for the Comets demise. Look at how he is approaching it, closure end of , theres Glasgow pleading with their fans and trying to find a buyer to enable it to carry on , but no he again stands on his high horse and uses his power to cripple the fans :mad:

The simple truth is not enough fans turn up to watch the Comets. If the manner in which Denham has disclosed his intention to close is wrong (and it is) you can't blame him if he is losing a considerable amount of money.

While I fully accept the point about the cost, aside from that I wonder just what those who have deserted the club in recent seasons really want. The team is a good one (and but for injuries probably would have been even better), the racing (in my experience) this season has been top class and the presentation is excellent. As a package, its one of the best in the country.

Sadly, I fear that Glasgow & Workington might not be the only clubs under threat.

My point exactly, your not supporting the club financially, if everybody had the same attitude then it would have closed earlier. Injuries are part and parcel of the sport, it's not KD's fault that riders get injured, indeed a lot of riders have been injured this year and teams decimated, look at Berwick & Newcastle, but the fans have continued to support their team. I'm not defending anyone here but trying to get riders will not have been an easy task with other teams looking as well.

Quotes from KD

Last Saturday for the visit of Glasgow Tigers I lost almost £3,000. We had less than 500 people in the stadium and over 100 of them came from Glasgow.

“We have had a side competing well in the league and one which has been unbeaten at Derwent Park but the crowds have continued to decline.

Our injuries have been well documented and on Saturday against Glasgow we had to use three guests and a rider replacement facility. Some of the fans told me they thought they should only have to pay half price because we had only half of our team. I told him it doesn’t work like that.”

Mr Denham said other clubs were in serious financial trouble and the sport had a “major problem”.

Most of the above relates to the crowd levels.

As to pulling out of the league I dont know the answer but based on the above, take the 100 Glasgow fans off the crowd in the upcoming meetings thats another £1500 loss on to the £3k he's already losing, a further seven meetings at £4,500 a further loss 0f £31,500 till the season ends and thats assuming 400 continually turn up, No wonder he's looking at his options!!!!

The simple truth is not enough fans turn up to watch the Comets. If the manner in which Denham has disclosed his intention to close is wrong (and it is) you can't blame him if he is losing a considerable amount of money.

While I fully accept the point about the cost, aside from that I wonder just what those who have deserted the club in recent seasons really want. The team is a good one (and but for injuries probably would have been even better), the racing (in my experience) this season has been top class and the presentation is excellent. As a package, its one of the best in the country.

Sadly, I fear that Glasgow & Workington might not be the only clubs under threat.

Well said